450 scrambler front brake switch

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ducvet

450 scrambler front brake switch

Postby Ducvet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Hello scrubs
I am working with a 450 scrambler and the front brake switch does not work. I do not even see them in any schematics.

I believe I know how to wire it but the switch itself does not seem to be working. Does anyone know how it comes apart for servicing or where I could find a replacement. It is a cable operated switch with a single cable entering the top and a second cable exiting the bottom and running to the right front brake arm.

There is a rubber tab on either side of the switch and I would guess cable ferules are what makes the contact but I have not tried to disassemble it yet.
Also I am thinking that it is going to take a second line running to the brake light to work which is not in the replacement harness.

Jordan

Re: 450 scrambler front brake switch

Postby Jordan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

I've never seen a front brake switch on a standard Ducati single. Maybe they were fitted for some markets?
Your description sounds like it could be the same type as fitted to the rear brake cable on some Ducati singles and twins.
Originally they were made by Burgess in UK, nowadays copies can be bought.
There are some downsides. They are captive on the cable, if nipples/fixings are permanently soldered both ends.
The switch action isn't ideal (sliding contacts are ideal). A rubber disc separates contacts, using the brake compresses the rubber causing the contacts to touch. Lack of self-cleaning, sliding action makes it prone to oxidation so isn't as reliable.
Also, the rubber gets unrubbery with age, and the spring action fails.
They don't usually last as long as the cable itself, requiring a complete new assembly, if you can find or make one.
Suppliers of parts for '60-'70s British motorbikes sell the switches, but they are never called Burgess type which doesn't help to track them down. Sometimes they're called Lucas type, which they ain't.
Examples here: http://stores.ebay.com/SteadfastCycles/ ... id=1905870
My BSA B44 has one on the front brake cable.
Some small Hondas used their own type of combined cable/switch assembly.
You could possibly get away with not having one, if the rear brake switch works?

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:36 am

I'm with Jordan on this - I have never seen a front brake switch on a Ducati single.

It would be nice if they had been fitted, but they weren't as far as I know throughout the entire run of singles.

I have seen a cable pull activated switch, but to the best of my recollection it was on a Vespa.

You are correct, the wires would not be in a standard harness and you will have to run a fused power wire to the front brake switch and then a switched power wire at least as far as the rear brake switch or alternatively all the way to the brake light itself.

I just toe the rear brake whenever I grab the front brake so as to light the brake light. It's just habit now.

Ducvet

Postby Ducvet » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Thank you Jim and Jordan
This bike has been one of those "Never seen that before" bike on many levels. Bike has a switch just as Jordan described, it looks just like what they are calling a Lucas switch. I will see if I cannot either clean it or exorcise it enough to get it working I have little interest at this point in replacing it as it looks to require either I search out a unicorn that no one knows of or I make a set and I am not interested in the liability of making front brake cables right now.

Although... now I look at it they do have solder-less clamps on the cables so maybe it will all slide off. Problem might be sliding the cable back into the housing.

I have gone back and forth about three times with the wiring harness right now I think I will be re-building the OEM harness as the one I bought is missing a fair amount of wires from the harness as well as not being supplied with a schematic. I have about 5 schematics from different sources even some that say they are correct but are different. Being a dealer Ducati mechanic for 10 years has shown me plenty of examples of bikes not having "as advertised" parts so I am not surprised.

This bike should have been 90% correct as it is a second owner who has owned it since it was 1 year old. Plenty of use, abuse and neglect but little signs of swapping parts.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”