Ducati Elettrotecnica Coil pole identification

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Ducati Elettrotecnica Coil pole identification

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 am

thatnameisal wrote:Wait a second...do I have this right?

I connected wiring diagram (from Ventodue above) wires #6 & #12 to primary coil lead labeled "1" (in photo above) and
GROUND from wiring diagram (from Ventodue above) to primary coil lead labeled "15" (in photo above)

Correct?
____ Well,, I really can't remember actually for-sure, as I think I've seen them wired-up both ways,, and I haven't laid-eyes on an official diagram that bothered to show the '1' & '15' labeled, since about the early-80s. _ So perhaps someone with a 250-Scrambler or Mk.III that still has the factory-wiring left undisturbed, can tell us WHICH ign.post-terminals the ign.points & ground wires originally connect-to on the green-coil.
__ The reason I haven't kept this relatively unimportant detail memorized is because it really doesn't matter much (except perhaps for racing), cuz the only real difference it makes is which way the ign.spark jumps the plug-gap, and the fuel-mix still ignites the same-way, either way.
Ideally though, ya prefer for the spark to jump from the center-electrode to the grounded-one because the electron-spark rather prefers to jump towards a denser state of metal-mass (and the grounded-electrode is kept cooler [thus denser] by the incoming fuel-charge).
However,, with the magneto-type ign.circuit, (unlike a battery-powered type), the polarity of the particular power-pulse (which happens to charge-fire the ign.coil), is dependent on the flywheel-rotor's polarity-timing,, so that makes it more-so questionable as to whether ya should even bother with being concerned with the whole-matter of ign.coil connection-polarity.
__ With your dig.volt-meter set to MAX.sensitivity, you could possibly check to see if your ign.coil's DC.output-lead is negative or positive (to ground). _ And since neg.electron-current actually does the traveling, you'll then KNOW the answer to your ign.coil-connection question, (as the ign.coil-lead preferably ought-to be negative with respect to 'ground').

Hopeful-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”