New member - new bike - UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

pptom

Re: New member - new bike - UK

Postby pptom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Just a machined taper, with a short keyway on the end, the backing plate has 3 posts attatched with spacers to hold the stator. I compared the stator and rotor with some spares i have on the shelf, that i just knew would come in handy one day... Stator is the same, unmodified size, the rotor is about 2mm thinner than standard - must be to clear the clutch.
Unfortunately it looks like I've destroyed a couple of spiders homes during the strip process. Sorry the photo's aren't great, phone doesn't seem to focus less than 0.5m.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the pictures.
It's a little unclear if there's some major surgery on the LH engine case, or whether an adaptor plate was used between the case and Lucas stator. See attached photo of narrowcases.
NOSCases.jpg

What is the thickness of the rotor?
If it's keyed to the crankshaft, that's an interesting difference from the Ducati setup which relies on just a taper to keep it in place, theoretically.
The rotor was made in Jan 1971, according to some stampings.
Loss of flywheel may make for a more nimble, and maybe more vibey engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pptom

Postby pptom » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Yep, 71' on the rotor, so it could have been fitted then, I know they were fitted to Triumphs at least from 1960 though. Unfortunately it looks like one of the webs was snapped off for clearance. This hasn't been tidied up so I'd guess it was done when the engine was built up - I'll get something made up and welded in to take its place.
Crankcase otherwise looks unmodified, i dropped the adaptor plate in for a photo, it just fixes via the existing 3 screw holes.
Current rotor and stator pictured next to an 'off the shelf' new one for reference, You can just see in a pic above the woodruff key securing the rotor to crank, the keyway in the rotor would have originally been there when it was machined to match the crank as per the ref photo, think the woodruff key is the same one the primary gear sits on. Stator has a flat machined on one edge to clear the boss on the crankcase:

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:16 am

Thank you very much Tom, for your thorough answers and photos.
This Lucas alternator mod opens a new possibility for anyone with a yearning for 12 volts on a single.
The adaptor plate means no altering the precious Ducati. I think the broken off web isn't related to the mod.
Also, there's a chance of having a batteryless CDI on a Ducati single at low cost.
How come? Well, the Indian Royal Enfield has a copy of the Lucas alternator in various configurations. One of them has a high voltage coil on one of the stator legs. This equipment is quite low priced. Just add a universal CDI box and trigger. All to be confirmed.

Jordan

Glawster

Postby Glawster » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Tom,
Looks like an interesting project. When you're up and running you should contact Nigel Clark. He currently races at Guzzi, but in the past has much experience of racing Ducati singles - and he lives in Northampton. I met him when I bought a 250 MK3 from him earlier this year. I'm sure he'd be interested to have a chat to you. Please pm me your email and I'll contact him.
Best regards,
Derek

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”