New member - new bike - UK

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

pptom

New member - new bike - UK

Postby pptom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:02 am

Hello all - I'm Tom from the UK
Picked up a 250 'Daytona' a few weeks ago in desperate need of some love, Its not run for a number of years. It was registered in Jan 62, making it a very early bike I believe, first registered owner is John Surtees Ltd. Second owner was a Vicar in London I think who must have had it for quite a few years, apparently he had a collection of Ducati singles and this must have been where several crucial parts went missing to (headlight, brake parts etc). Anyway, it was purchased from him earlier this year by a chap who never got round to it and I got hold of it a couple of weeks ago.
Just managed to get stuck into the engine last night, confirmed small valve head with about the least lift cam you can get, piston is an original 4 ring job, not in bad nick, but I'll not re-use it. Small end bush isn't central.
The Intrigue for me was the Stator / Rotor - Its a Lucas job, looks identical to their Kits as fitted to 60's Triumphs etc (recently built a couple of them) - I had a quick google last night, but didn't turn anything up. Anyone have any info - was this something that was 'done' years ago?
Crank has a couple of initials on it next to the sludge trap, so I take it thats been rebuilt at some point.

Plans are to build the engine to 'Mach 1' spec or better - The cam is being sent off today for re-profiling + rockers for re-facing. I've had a quote to turn the head into a large valve one with some porting - Any recommendations in the UK for this work? And I'm looking at conn rod options - no idea where to go with this so I'll see if a local Eng shop can get the crank apart (they're pretty good) and will look to you lot for help when done!

Here's a few pics:

Bevel bob

Re: New member - new bike - UK

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 am

HI Tom, Where in the UK are you?, In my humble opinion a state of tune just below that of the Mach1/mark3 Narrow case will give the best on the road performance, Porting the inlet by removing metal from the guide support boss is a sure way to having to find another head later.Although the Mach1 had the highest top speed of any standard single cylinder Duck (regardless of capacity), It did not have the driveability of the Dianna with the smaller valve and 27mm carb.A lot will depend on what you are aiming for. A rider or a Café special ornament fit for display?.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 am

First time I've seen that Lucas mod. Looks neat too.
Maybe it was done for 12V output.
Welcome to Ducatis.

Jordan

pptom

Postby pptom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:22 am

I'm in Northampton Bob, Its not going to be an ornament, hopefully be nice, but I like to ride! Aiming for a 'fast road' bike with the real possiblity of parading. I'd really like to have a go at racing in the future - I realise this won't be the bike for that, but it could be a nice stepping stone (road - parade)

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Nigel Lacey is in the UK (and a member here) you should google Lacey Ducati.
Have fun with it
Graeme

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Very interesting to see a Lucas alt in there, definitely added in later as those stators with the potted coils weren't around yet in '62.
What was it running for regulation/rectification?

pptom

Postby pptom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Had a chat with Mr Lacey this afternoon - he'g going to have a look at my crank for me, so thats one more thing sorted.
Reg / Rec non existant I'm afraid, I'd say this bike is an assembled basket case! As long as everything is fine I'll probably keep or even renew / update the Lucas stuff as its pretty reliable, easy to work with and 'fairly' cheap, hopefully tonights spannering should reveal how its been fitted...

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:04 pm

For the Lucas motorcycle alternator, a reg-rec is the easiest thing to sort out, and there are some options.
Maybe this one: Ebay item 181245656657

pptom

Postby pptom » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Thats cheap enough for the Reg / Rec, there are some good options in the UK, had a few old brit bikes, so i was secretly quite please when I found the lucas stuff.
Couldn't wait to get home and lay into the Engine, managed to get it totally stripped this evening. When I drained the oil last night I couldn't believe how clean it was, thought it had been put in as a 'preservative' as a previous owner may have known it was going to sit for a while, anyway, soon changed my mind when i got into the cases, there's a pretty thick layer of sludge in the bottom, must have all dropped out of suspension over the years.
Fortunately, the Alternator rotor has been cut with a taper to fit the crank, rather than the other way around.
Crank is marked -10 on the face of one of the flywheels and there are some initials next to the sludge trap which was about 3/4" full of junk.
Transmission doesn't look too bad on initial inspection, bit of wear on a couple of gear dog corners. I'll have to crack out the magnifying glass and give them a proper going over.
Could have been worse, only major 'damage' is to the cam bevel which has a broken tooth, so I'm after a matched top pair if anyone has any leads pease?
Isn't the Clymer manual rubbish? - completely misses out quite a bit of info, I'll have to look for something better for the rebuild.
Tom

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

There are a couple of different Clymer manuals for Ducati singles, the most common one being a straight reprint of the factory's own. But even the worst manuals usually have something helpful in them.
If you remove the Lucas stator, please photo of how it's adapted to mount to the engine?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”