1965 Monza Jr 160 Wiring & Battery Options

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Power-coil Considerations

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:43 am

[quote= thatnameisal ...
" Don't think I wont go out on T-day to try and find another ohm meter. "

____ And this is the time of year when sellers expect 'returns' of many things which their buyers aren't satisfied with (within 30-days) !
So you could possibly try-out every meter you see, and finally end-up with your favorite-choice, (if you don't mind too-much standing in return-lines).

" Assuming a "leaky" power-coil, any proposed fixes? "

____ You could consider trying rewinding yours with new copper winding-wire. _ It's not really too hard to do (after a practice-try).

" I did find this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-350-450-DM-250-Monza-Diana-Mach-Bevel-Single-coil-new-3195141-/221159311573?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337e1f48d5
but it is for 31.95.141 "

____ That power-coil looks to be an ign.type version,, and, it's way OVER-priced !! _ But it would be somewhat more suitable for a 12v.charging-system.
If you did acquire that ign.power-coil, then it would be the best choice for powering your ign.system, (since it would be better suited for longevity & keep your ign.system more reliable).
Then that would then leave your present GOOD power-coil for charging a 12v.battery.
__ If you don't wish to try rewinding your-own yourself, you could little-doubt find someone to do it for you, for half that price.
____ (Just thoughts for your consideration.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

PS. Don't overlook that I still-yet have-to finish-up some of my previous posts on the prior page !
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

thatnameisal

Re: 1965 Monza Jr 160 Wiring & Battery Options

Postby thatnameisal » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:23 am

Bob:

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving weekend with friends/family. We had turkey with the in-laws on Thursday and I have been working on the tins over the weekend. Paint is DONE, tank is Caswel sealed, rear end is buttoned up and I have been searching for help with the power coil/mag.

After an exhaustive search of alternator shops, electric motor shops and electronics stores in the area I came up with ONE name to get the power coil re-wound: the aptly named Ricky Stator.com http://www.rickystator.com/04technical/stator_rewinds01.html

Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow and I can get the ball rolling with the power coil.

In the mean time, I would like to get the balance of the NEW wiring done.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:__ So are you also considering replacing you chosen three wire-lead cable with a 4-wire version ?
That's a fairly important consideration, since others have done-so so-as to cure the common-issue of the head-light getting too-dim whenever the eng.revs are running below about 2500-RPM.

Now that I have got it - where do the two ends of the black wire get connected to?

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 1965 Monza Jr 160 Wiring & Battery Options

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 am

____ Well what-do-ya-know,
this is one-time when both of our times spent on-here happen to land within the same 24-hour period,, as I-myself have been stuck off-line since last-Friday (and just became able to get back on the net once-again, this hour) !

[quote= thatnameisal ...
" I have been searching for help with the power coil/mag. "

____ But I was previously lead to believe that you were first going to acquire ANOTHER ohm-meter, so-as to try to confirm whether your most-recently posted meter-readings are actually correct or not !?
__ You could try using two 1-ohm resistors in parallel, to check that your ohm-meter actually reads '.5' ohms,, so as to be sure that your meter's readings below 1-ohm are acurrate enough.
__ Also, it seems that you've missed my previously implied suggestion that you use your ohm-meter (set to it's most extreme setting) to check for any leakage in the lower power-coil (between any of the three lead-ends & the core). _ Cuz if there's any leakage there at all, then there'll likely also be some more leakage between the individual coil-turns as well.

" After an exhaustive search of alternator shops, electric motor shops
in the area I came up with ONE name to get the power coil re-wound: the aptly named Ricky Stator.com "

____ Well, I'd not be so sure about such as that without a word such as 'afordable' included within their business-name. _ As their business-type labor-cost may end-up with your total-cost coming too-close to the price of that stock Ducati power-coil you found on eBay.
__ YOU might actually like having done the coil rewinding-job on your-own, (if you ever actually get any self-satisfaction from having done your-OWN work all on your own).

" Hopefully I will hear back from them tomorrow and I can get the ball rolling with the power coil. "

____ Besides their estimated charge, it would be interesting to learn their opinion on coil-winding wire-gauge sizes intended for 6-volt & 12-volt systems.
__ I'm afraid however that letting such an 'establishment' do your work, may leave you out of control of some finishing details or other, (especially if you don't end-up paying their std.full-pricing).

" I would like to get the balance of the NEW wiring done. "

____ But so far, you still haven't posted your dicision-thoughts on which of all my suggested (or your own) system options you most wish to acomplish.

" where do the two ends of the black wire get connected to? "

____ Well, if you much preferred to remain loyal as possible to the stock 6v.system-setup,, then it's internal-end will connect directly to the lead-end that you un-soldered from around the area of that stator screw-head, while that black-wire's opposite-end BEST ought-to become grounded to the headlight-shell, (although that black alt.wire-lead will be interrupted at [or near] the wire-harness terminal-block [as are all the other harness-wires] ).
__ On the other-hand, (if you're still interested in solving the low-light AC.power-issue during low-revs), assuming that you'll decide to rather make-use of the AC.lighting power-coil so as to rather employ the battery to DC.power the main-lights, THEN the external-end of your black alt.wire-lead would rather need to be connected to one of the AC.inputs of a full-wave rectifier-unit.
__ Please keep us updated on what system-wiring you prefer to go with.

____ If you happen to have any concerns of finding a 12v.battery that'll fit into the battery-tray, (which I think is the same-size as that of a 1966-Scrambler), I believe I once researched that and found that the 12v.battery from a Honda SL175 was small enough, (however, I instead ended-up using two small 6v.btteries intended for some small-sized early-70s Suzuki 'enduro bike').
__Your type of riding -(extra low average RPM, or normal), may help determine whether you ought prefer a 6 or 12 volt system.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”