1967 Monza 250 restoration

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 1967 Monza 250 restoration

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:24 pm

[quote= MC916 ...
" I wish the frame looked as good I person as it does in the pictures but it is not that good. So the paint on the frame is quite ruff. "

____ I was not so concerned with the frame's paint, but rather just the other parts mentioned by Nick.

" Here in New York we are required to run the headlight all the time. I would like to see your mod for the charging system. "

____ That requirement makes the mod.job even easier ! _ (And also lets me skip-over details of how to use just a single diode-circuit for running with lights off.)
__ Ducati's charging-system has two banks and rather than simply use only one of the power-circuits for lights-Off operation (and both circuits for lights-On operation), they instead (rather more expensively) left both banks in constant available operation and-thus required a regulator-circuit for whenever running with lights turned-off. _ And unfortunately their choice of regulator-circuit somewhat stifles the alternator from ever being able to supply it's full-potential possible power-output.
__ The regulator/black-box has two power-diodes within it, which are ALL your charging-system really needs (for always running with lights-On) !
So to get full charging-power from your system, all you'd need to do is bypass the regulator's internals (except for it's pair of power-diodes).
That way, the low-RPM alt.power-output would be somewhat increased, (which is what most-everyone desires more of), along with increased wattage-output throughout the entire rev.range. _ The only downside of no regulator-circuit, is that if your run at average-revs above 6000-RPM for over two hours straight, you may run the risk of overcharging a 6v.battery,, (the battery-itself will regulate voltage well enough to protect light-bulb filaments).
__ But rather than retain that HEAVY black-box, it's much preferable to replace it with a SIMPLE full-wave rectifier-block (that's about 1.25-inch square & costs only about 3-bucks).

" I think I will be changing it over to a 12v system so I can have as bright a headlight as I can. "

____ Having to produce enough power-juice to keep a 12v.battery charged, requires a slightly higher average-RPM,, so if you prefer to do a rather engine-lugging riding-style, then you ought-to retain the 6v.type power-system.

" I am not sure if I have a two coil or four coil alt yet "

____ Your 1966-type 250-Monza came stock with the 6-pole/4-coil/'60-watt' alt.model, (as all 5-speed Monza-models did) !

" If I do have a two coil alt will my fly wheel be different than a four coil? "

____ Yes, as your alternator's mag.rotor is a 6-pole version which won't line-up it's mag.poles with a dual power-coil version !

" I am also looking at the kits out there for all new components. Would you recommend any one in particular? "

____ No, as I have no experience with any of them.
However if your riding-style keeps your average-RPMs above 3500 and you don't run a headlight with greater than 45-watts, then you don't really need any stronger of a charging-system !

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”