Identifying Alternator/Magneto

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

narrow_monza

Re: Identifying Alternator/Magneto

Postby narrow_monza » Thu May 01, 2014 10:49 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Firstly, thanks for your contributed pix !

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" the diagram depicting the simple 2-coil flywheel-magneto of the Mark3 (attached) shows that the ignition coil is actually the one with the one wire tied to chassis at the other end of the winding (bottom coil, "

____ What leads you to think that ?
It seems you may've mistook my specific wording... Cuz when I used the word "simple", I was in regards to the EARLY electrical-SYSTEM, (not just the early 2-coil stator) !
The particular stator-diagram which you've posted, is only intended for the rather later n-c.Mark-III/3 & pre-1966 5-speed Scrambler models, (which have a concocted brake-light circuit adapted), and-so therefore is-NOT the 'simple' version !
__ The upper-located power-coil has TWO wire-leads,, a YELLOW-wire for direct-connection to the ign.system, AND-also a WHITE-wire for direct-connection to it's intended brake-light circuit (& ground) !

I stand corrected!
So other than the wire gauge, how does the ignition coil differ from the lighting coil? Are the number of windings the same?

Thanks

-Adrian

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu May 01, 2014 11:48 pm

[quote= narrow_monza ...
" So other than the wire gauge, how does the ignition coil differ from the lighting coil? "

____ It seems you must've quoted & responded to my post whilst I was still working on extended-response for it, before I finally 'signed-off' on my rather completed post version. _ (I guess I'll have-to try to make my bottom-located default/added-notification, more obvious.)
__ So you probably ought-to turn-back to that previous-page, and see what-all you've missed.

" Are the number of windings the same? "

____ I think the power-coil intended for the ign.system has about 10 more loop-turn/rows.
__ Please let us know what YOU count on them both.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

narrow_monza

Postby narrow_monza » Thu May 01, 2014 11:59 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:[quote= narrow_monza ...
" So other than the wire gauge, how does the ignition coil differ from the lighting coil? "

____ It seems you must've quoted & responded to my post whilst I was still working on extended-response for it, before I finally 'signed-off' on my rather completed post version. _ (I guess I'll have-to try to make my bottom-located default/added-notification, more obvious.)
__ So you probably ought-to turn-back to that previous-page, and see what-all you've missed.

***** oops. Going back now...

" Are the number of windings the same? "

____ I think the power-coil intended for the ign.system has about 10 more loop-turns.
__ Please let us know what YOU count on them both.

***** OK, will do.

Thanks!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”