350 Scrambler Project - Vancouver, Canada

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 350 Scrambler Project - Vancouver, Canada

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:02 am

____ It appears to be about a 1973 model !?
(Even though it's a Canadian Ducati "bike", it's still a real DUKE to me! _ I'd surely never refer to any of my DUKEs as just a mere "bike" ! _ Perhaps after you've truely made it your own, it'll then deserve more respect from you.)

" Front forks are bent (very slightly) "
" First job is to send the front shocks away to get them straightened. "

____ If they're only bent "very slightly" , then why not just clamp the tubes down so that their bends are faced oppositely opposed, and then mount the wheel between them to thus have the pair of tubes held in such a way as if they're unbent !?
An easy fix!

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Graham
very interesting bunch of parts you have there . the engine is a Spanish Mototrans one and they where only fitted to
the very last scramblers made in Italy when they run out of Italian engines
looks like you have Motoplat electronic ignition fitted to it

Eldert

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:22 pm

dang it.. i bet theres a piston in that there motor

:)

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I have a 1970 real Made in Italy 350 that looks just like yours. It came new with the same 1piece tach drive like yours, your air cleaner looks like my son's air cleaner,(1973) 450 Jupiter. Mine has two tool boxes ,one on each side. and I believe my headlight is the same as yours. I'm changing mine to a Ducati street bike. I'll be selling the tool boxes And headlight. I'll save them for you for several months, I'm in no hurry, are you Canadian, or French? Capt Paul.
Last edited by bettyann on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:06 pm

There's a complete kick start assy for your duke on e-bay right now,item #280472040297, current bid is$ 125.00.The first complete one that I've seen on e-bay!! Capt Paul.

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Your motor has points & condenser, look on small clutch cover should say made in Italy,and an inch or so behind the points cover for Made in Italy, I believe you have a genuine made in Italy duke!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm

10531 wrote:Edit: Just looked at the engine. No Made in Italy on the clutch cover, but it does have Made in Italy on the right side cover under the word Ducati.

My Mototrans 350 is exactly the same.

Pete

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:29 am

it is a Mototrans engine for sure . the headcasting differs in at least 2 places
you can see 1 real good on a picture you posted : the rh view of the engine there is a large fin from the rear oil
banjo bolt to the intake manifold stud . italian engines dont have this .another thing is the small finning above the
exhaust nut is taller on a Spanish engine by a couple of millimeters
the oil return line has sharper bends in it as a italian item

only the very last mototrans engines had made in Spain on the oilpump cover

Eldert

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 am

" the rh view of the engine there is a large fin from the rear oil
banjo bolt to the intake manifold stud . italian engines dont have this "

____ I have to agree with Eldert in that at least the cyl.head is not an Italian-casting! ...
Ya can see that the sizes of the two fins which are molded directly to the intake-port are reversed, compared to a regular Italian cyl.head !
__ I must admit that I've never seen a '350' cyl.head exactly like this example, as while I can confirm that the casting in question indeed looks to be the same as the Spanish-version,, all the Mototrans 350-heads that I've ever seen, included a compression-release machined directly into the cyl.head's combustion-chamber !
Thus I'm lead to suspect that this particular cyl.head may have originally been intended for a 250-Mototrans engine.

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:28 pm

" are you meaning the comp release like on the 450RT? "

____ YES, just like that except, unfortunately instead of using normal 10mm sparkplug-thread, Mototrans used coarser 1.25mm-thread !

" For now I'll assume that the whole engine is Spanish, which means I'm on the lookout for an Italian oil pump gear as I believe the Spanish ones are a type of plastic, "
" I have also been told that there are/were some issues with hardening of the gear teeth, specially the gearbox gears? "

____ I can't confirm that ALL Mototrans-made motors used the plastic-type oil-pump gear.
But I can confirm that their 2nd-gear doesn't hold-up well in the 350s !

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”