350 Scrambler Project - Vancouver, Canada

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

350 Scrambler Project - Vancouver, Canada

Postby 10531 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:54 am

Hi all,

Did the deal on this bike a while back, but due to being out of the country a lot lately, it has only just been delivered today!
Before delivery, I knew the gauges, headlight, some electrics, front wheel, kickstart, and seat were missing. Front forks are bent (very slightly), and top triple clamp is broken. Bike was flipped, which is what did the damage to the front end. Frame is good. Front end in photos was just to make the bike easier to move.
So far I have located and purchased a front wheel, speedo, tacho, and complete triple clamp assy. Still looking for a kickstart, seat and headlight. I know I can get headlight and seat new in Italy. Seat is cheap, headlight is not!
Bike came with a box of bits, some of which are for the bike, some of which aren't.
All I can say is thank goodness for the dry weather in Alberta! This bike has been in a shed for 20 years. Tank has no rust on the outside anywhere, and only light surface rust inside!
Here are some photos of the bike and its pieces, before delivery, in Alberta.
I'm leaving the country again on Wednesday for work, and won't be back till April, so don't expect too much to happen for a while!

The bike and most of the pieces. Ignore the front end on the bike, that was just to make it easier to move.

Engine. Kickstart and dipstick missing :(

The tank. There is a shallow dent behind the cap, but it should pop out nicely.

The rest of it.

The frame number. I don't think US bikes have this? They have a sticker instead.

First job is to send the front shocks away to get them straightened. While that is happening, I'll check the frame, strip it, and paint it. Then sort out the wheels. At least then I'll have a frame that can be wheeled around!
Cheers
Graham

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: 350 Scrambler Project - Vancouver, Canada

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:02 am

____ It appears to be about a 1973 model !?
(Even though it's a Canadian Ducati "bike", it's still a real DUKE to me! _ I'd surely never refer to any of my DUKEs as just a mere "bike" ! _ Perhaps after you've truely made it your own, it'll then deserve more respect from you.)

" Front forks are bent (very slightly) "
" First job is to send the front shocks away to get them straightened. "

____ If they're only bent "very slightly" , then why not just clamp the tubes down so that their bends are faced oppositely opposed, and then mount the wheel between them to thus have the pair of tubes held in such a way as if they're unbent !?
An easy fix!

DUKE-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 am

Hi Graham
very interesting bunch of parts you have there . the engine is a Spanish Mototrans one and they where only fitted to
the very last scramblers made in Italy when they run out of Italian engines
looks like you have Motoplat electronic ignition fitted to it

Eldert

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:22 pm

dang it.. i bet theres a piston in that there motor

:)

Postby 10531 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Bob, Previous owner told me it was a 72 model, but looking at the frame number compared with other Scramblers out there, it is either 72 or 73.

Eldert, How can you tell if the engine is Spanish? The only reference material I have says the 350 engine were built in Spain from 74 onwards. I'll post a photo of the other side of the engine for you.

Ducati Italia have said that if I send them the frame number and engine number, and change of address information, they'll get back to me with what they know about the bike. I did the same with Alfa Romeo when I had my old 69 GT Junior. They sent me the delivery details from 1969 for the car, as well as a complete set of overhaul manuals, for free! Alfa really impressed me with that!

I must say, the Italians haven't changed much. I work on Italian helicopters, and find that they fit whatever is at hand sometimes, so there is never really a Serial Number cutoff for changing from one part to another.

Looking at the single piece tacho drive on the cam cover, and the big air filter, I'd say it is a mid 73 bike. Hopefully Ducati can help get a more definitive date. I was told there was a build date on one of the front fork legs, but I can't find it.
Cheers
Graham

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I have a 1970 real Made in Italy 350 that looks just like yours. It came new with the same 1piece tach drive like yours, your air cleaner looks like my son's air cleaner,(1973) 450 Jupiter. Mine has two tool boxes ,one on each side. and I believe my headlight is the same as yours. I'm changing mine to a Ducati street bike. I'll be selling the tool boxes And headlight. I'll save them for you for several months, I'm in no hurry, are you Canadian, or French? Capt Paul.
Last edited by bettyann on Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:06 pm

There's a complete kick start assy for your duke on e-bay right now,item #280472040297, current bid is$ 125.00.The first complete one that I've seen on e-bay!! Capt Paul.

bettyann

Postby bettyann » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 pm

Your motor has points & condenser, look on small clutch cover should say made in Italy,and an inch or so behind the points cover for Made in Italy, I believe you have a genuine made in Italy duke!

Postby 10531 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks for the info Capt Paul. I'll go have a look at the engine soon as I can and look for the Made in Italy on it.

I'm actually a New Zealander now living in Vancouver. I'm a helicopter mech for a Canadian company, but I work in Kazakhstan for them.

I just bought a kickstart on ebay. $35 plus post. It is only for the lever, but that's Ok. Finalised the deal this morning. It was a Buy it Now type deal.

I would be VERY interested in your headlight. Got a photo you can send me? It needs to be the one without the speedo in it. The headlight and seat are the two big pieces I need, plus a throttle as I don't have one.

I'm going to go with the big aircleaner and a tool bag on the left, so don't worry about the toolboxes. I've seen Italian market 350's from 72/73 with the big aircleaner, even though a lot of books say they didn't get it till 74. Plus there are NO dents in the airfilter box, which is unusual.

Edit: Just looked at the engine. No Made in Italy on the clutch cover, but it does have Made in Italy on the right side cover under the word Ducati. Engine number is DM350 16451, if that means anything to anyone.
Cheers
Graham

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm

10531 wrote:Edit: Just looked at the engine. No Made in Italy on the clutch cover, but it does have Made in Italy on the right side cover under the word Ducati.

My Mototrans 350 is exactly the same.

Pete

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”