Bike ID please!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: Bike ID please!

Postby Ventodue » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:08 am

Jon Pegler wrote:Robert Millar's list seems to contain some anomalies.

:o :D . And not just for Elites, either. I'm aware of inconsistencies in both the SCR and SSD registers, for example.

(I admire his dedication to this effort, but I do sometimes wish he'd try just a little cleaning - or ask others to help. Otherwise the list risks losing an amount of its value ...)

Hey ho ...

Craig

Paddy

Postby Paddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:21 am

Welcome to the debate Jon. Very interesting about the lug under the seat, That really does make Phil A's bike in the pictures a complete bitsa then ? as it looks like an a series engine in a B series frame.

Paddy

Postby Paddy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 am

As for the Millar list.......
I think its fine as it contains the mix and match numbers as they are today and its not meant to be a dating reference.
Given the life span of one of these little engines when used every day as your only transport in a hot dusty climate in 1960 i would be surprised if most of these bikes had not had replacement engines over the years especially as so many different models engines just drop into the common frame. with licencing authority's stupid rules over the years documentation gets altered. ( i recently sold an Elite to Australia dated 1975 on the log book) !! We look on these classics as collectable and deserving of original parts to enhance their value but for the first 20 years of there life they were a tool, bashed , battered and abused in many cases but they did what they were supposed to do until they broke.
Personally i cant get too hung up on numbers. the fact that a bike had a new engine in 1964 just adds to its rich 50 year history, its not a reason to devalue it.

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 am

And inconsistent models depending what was on the factory shelf at the time, especially the later models.
They are what they are, enjoy them. It must be a nightmare trying to do a 100% original restoration.

Graeme

machten

Postby machten » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Kev
They are great pictures, i used them for detail in my build. I note that what i think is the oil feed up the barrel lines up with the crankcase on that 175 as it does on my 200 but is out of line on the bike in Phils pictures ?? Both Phils and the 175 are A series so i am surprised there is a difference there ?

Sorry, been away for a wee while! Glad they were of help Paddy. I'm a babe in the woods on pre widecase singles. I'll have to be a "reader" rather than a "contributer" until I learn far more than I know! :roll:

Kev

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”