200 Elite Tank vs. 175 Sport Tank....badge mounts different?

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

gtrench

200 Elite Tank vs. 175 Sport Tank....badge mounts different?

Postby gtrench » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:59 pm

HI Everyone,
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but without having them both in my hands, I can't be sure. Are the badge mounts in different locations on the 175 Sport tank compared to the later 200 Elite tank? The badges are obviously different, and the mouting holes appear to be a bit different in locatoin, but I haven't been able to compare them personally and was hoping someone in the forum could clarify.
I'm restoring a 59' 175 Sport and was planning to use an Elite tank I found, but I'm worried the badges won't switch over.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paddy

Re: 200 Elite Tank vs. 175 Sport Tank....badge mounts differ

Postby Paddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:25 am

even looking at those two pictures you can see the mounting screws are in a quite different place. I have an Elite tank with no badge mounting points at all and i'm sure its not Spanish. bit of a mine field :-) I think Spanish had the filler at the front ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:34 am

I have an Elite tank with no badge mounting points at all and i'm sure its not Spanish.

Paddy,
Thanks for the post. I too have a Ducati Jellymould with no mounts...I can also say it's definitely not Mototrans (cap in the back, chin pad mounts, ect). Yah....originality on these late 50's Ducatis is a little confusing.

Anyone out there with a 175 Sport tank and 200 Elite tank that spell out the differences?

Thanks!!!
-Gabe

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 am

Here's what I'm working with. You can see the first one is a 200 Elite (chrome/Elite wing badge), second one is Mototrans (cap in front, decal, no screw on badge, no chin pad mounts), and the last one is perplexing since it seem like a 175 tank, but has no badge mounts (cap in back, no chrome, and no evidence of badge mounts being filled in). Hmmmmmmmm........

-Gabe

Paddy

Postby Paddy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:03 pm

this is the tank above now

and this is just to confuse things :-)

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I may be the only one interested in this topic....but....I ordered a set of 175 badges, so I'll see how similar (or most likely different) the mouting holes are and post my findings when I get them in a few weeks.
-Gabe

Paddy

Postby Paddy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:02 am

I'm interested :D

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:39 pm

Gabe,
The 175 badges should fit an Elite tank- screw hole center to center distance is the same- I have a steel tank with no sign of plating and both badges fit fine. It's possible that the angle of the threaded holes on the Elite tank is not the same as a 175 tank, but not too likely.
I'm also working on a 1950's 175 and a 125, but don't visit here very often- send me a PM with an email address if you'd like to compare notes.
Rick
tank badges.jpg

gtrench

Postby gtrench » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Rick,
Perfect!!!! Thanks for your post. Now, I guess the question is if the angle of the badge will be askew when placing a 175 badge on a 200 tank. I guess, worse case scenario, only one of the mounting points would have to be moved. Thanks again, you solved a big part of the puzzle!
-Gabe

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”