Noise issues on 350 Scrambler engine

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Rocla

Re: Noise issues on 350 Scrambler engine

Postby Rocla » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am

Many thanks for that,

Unfortunately, when I came back from holidays, I've had a problem on the kick: it is free, like a flying wheel, you cannot run the engine, and you cannot push the motorbike neither, the kick impede starting the engine. And it is very noisy, it is clinking as soon you kick or you push the motorbike :(

Does somebody has an idea of this problem? Is it serious or only a question of spring or something broken just beside the left gear box housing?

Many thanks

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:44 am

Hi,
If the clutch is pulled in the kickstart will feel free and not turn the engine.
The kickstart turns the gear shafts which turns through the clutch to turn the crank shaft via the pinion gear which is keyed to the crank shaft.
It would be worth removing the clutch cover and see if something is wrong there

Have you tried moving the gear selector to see if it is stuck in gear.

Graeme

Rocla

Postby Rocla » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 am

Many thanks Graeme,
I've checked with the clutch: no change at all. I am trying to remove the clutch cover but I need to empty the oil from the gear box but unfortunatly, the screw is dented and the spanner has a tendency to turn and to go outside the screw! I will try with my neighbourg: one to turn the spanner with a long lever arm , the other to push the spanner against the screw, just after having heated around the screw... I hope it will be sufficient...

Rocla

Postby Rocla » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:50 am

Hello again,
I've moved out the cluch cover and I've discovered that there is nothing wrong on the kick system! In fact, when I pusch the kick, the engine rotate, when I select a gear and I push the bike, the engine rotate too, but it is clinking a lot. I've moved the bevel cover (where there are 3 screws, on the right side of the top of cylinder head) and what I've seen? When I turn the kick (or push the bike with a selected gear), the engine rotate but not the bevel shaft !
The piston seems OK, I don't know if the 2 valves are still in a good condition, but the problem comes from the base of the bevel shaft. Does somebody have an idea of what happent that could generate a so strong clinking sound?
(In fact, I am back to my concerns about the two big noise of the bevel shaft. I am sure it is linked)

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 am

It is not unknown for the vertical cardan shaft to break.
You should remove the cylinder head to inspect.
This is very easy to do on a Ducati single. Just remove exhaust, fuel tank, carburettor. Then, unscrew the 4 cylinder bolts and lift off the head.

Jordan

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:44 am

i would remove the oilpump cover . the lefthand threaded nut could be loose on the crankshaft and as a result the woodruff key could brake . another thing could be broken teeth of the crankshaft bevel gear

Eldert

Rocla

Postby Rocla » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks Eldert.
It is my opinion too. If I understand well, to fix that requires to dismount the head, the cylinder, the oil pump cover, but doesn't require to dismount the crankshaft cases. Do you confirm ?

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:51 pm

no need to split the engine cases .

Eldert

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Here is a picture of the left hand threaded nut that Eldert mentioned. This is keyed to the crank shaft and held tight by the nut.
No need to remove the head just the points/oil pump cover.

The other possible thing is the Oldham coupling that drives the upper bevel shaft.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 pm

Eldert wrote:no need to split the engine cases .

Eldert

or to remove the cylinder.
Do one thing at a time?

Jordan

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”