Troubleshooting Alternator Wiring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

wcorey

Re: Troubleshooting Alternator Wiring

Postby wcorey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:03 pm

So that works-out to an overall-average of 9.2% INCREASE !

Maybe the ratio of how much wire was removed to how much power was lost is not linear but I don't see it as an increase, really.
Of course the ohm value where the peak power occurred has shifted down along with the working impedance that was reduced by removing wire. But the peak is still lower no matter how you cut it and when I remove another layer it will be lower still. The headlight will be dimmer...

____ Please don't ! _ As THIS-thread is already TOO-long as well,,

Not to worry, I was only joking. If I do start up the again on the old stuff, it will be in a new thread.

____ Please let us know whatever you're turn-off to.

Sorry to endlessly re-hash this stuff but endless seems to fit right in here, lol.

On the last go around, it all became a sort of many-headed beast that couldn’t be controlled from propagating into that which whenever we found an answer to something, it just raised still more questions that then led in still new/different directions.
Not only could we not finish it, it just grew exponentially. And continues to grow, this very thread is really just an off-shoot of it.

I poured a lot of heart and soul into it, as well as much time and effort, only to see it die just as an actual conclusion of sorts was in sight. I gave it a shot on my own but there were still some pivotal questions that I couldn’t answer so it seemed pointless to continue with possibly important aspects left as inconclusive.
Believe me, I’m not thrilled about going back through my own stuff just to get up to speed enough to continue on with it. But after what I already put into it, a bit more effort to come up with something useful out of it is a no brainer.
Bob, you-yourself don’t even want to go back to it, the cumbersome entanglement that it is. You think anyone else will?
Tell me it’s not all but useless in present form, all that effort, all but wasted…

My point is…
I’m starting to feel this one going the same way, just another endless rabbit hole that, while interesting, has even less potential for some tangible benefit.
I only got involved again because of two things really, to see if this track had some substantial value on it’s own and to try to get answers I needed for concluding the old thread. As soon as it became apparent that gains to be had with the rewinds are not very significant, I started losing interest and the effort-to-result ratio is rapidly becoming less than acceptable for me…
I think it’s great that Bruce will get another go at unwinding more stock coils to clear that up once and for all. I’m all for trying a couple more winding configurations that if nothing else may at least answer questions I had about JBCollier’s rewound stator. But I don’t intend to chase this too far into the future just for some largely academic conclusions.

Some perspective on testing…
Once the coils are in place/wired up and the stator in place/lined up with the rotor, the testing part is easy. Just a matter of swapping a bunch of test leads around to get various loads, rectification or whatever. Recording dozens of test results and tabulating them to digital form is a bit of drudgery but tolerable to some extent.

When I have to change anything that requires getting back into the stator, it tends to get time consuming. Never made a puller for the stock rotor so I tap on the mounting/motor shaft end to dislodge it (it's quick, what can I say..), eventually causes alignment issues that must be addressed or the resulting various contact between stator/rotor can skew the test results. You have to understand that I’ve had it off hundreds of times by now. Never thought the fixture was going to be more than a temporary thing so didn’t put much time into making it particularly robust.

Also the coil bobbins are brittle/delicate, fit tightly on the stator and it’s difficult not to cause damage when pulling them off. And two small coils have to move to remove a large one so lots of that is wise to avoid.
Same goes for the wires entering/exiting the stock coils that have been reconfigured uncountable times by now. It’s only a matter of time before one parts company in a blind location, if it’s an inner winding then it’s all over for that coil short of a rewind.
So when I need to add/route/colorcode 8 more wires to test independently the output of both inner and outer windings on both large and small coils, I have to ask how important it is…
I still have plans for that stator if I ever get back to things like a DIY for the ‘3section mod’, if it survives the abuse long enough…

And when the data isn’t what was expected and test methods come into question, chasing down possible problems that are a complete unknown is a big PITA.
Having to go through everything front to back, end to end, point to point and then repeat testing to see if anything changed takes longer than anything and often only confirms the original result.

Then there's the relentlessness of banging out these responses…

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Interseted in your 450 with an altered Kawasaki alternator. Not that I'd do this as I'm happy with the way my 450 lights work.
Having a bigger alternator would suck HP from the engine?

Probably shouldn’t get too far into this here…
This is a topic that I’ve covered a number of times but as now, always pops up in other related threads. Yet another subject I’d like to consolidate into it’s own thread but not likely to be much use to most people anyway, some machining involved to make it work. Easier just to link to a few of the former posts for now if you wish to pursue it further.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=420&hilit=gsxr+alternator&start=20#p2970
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144&p=2727&hilit=suzuki+stator#p2727
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=556&hilit=alternator+modifications&start=320#p4845
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=556&hilit=alternator+modifications&start=330#p4978
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=556&hilit=alternator+modifications&start=310#p4833

With a permanent magnet alt, there’s always some resistance to spinning even with no load. Obviously the stronger and more numerous the magnets/coils, the more drag is present.
There’s a direct conversion of watts to horsepower, 100watts is roughly .13 hp but not sure how accurately it correlates to alternator output. In any case a 60w light should use less than a tenth hp.
I was originally using a ½ hp motor to spin the rotor on the test rig and measured how much relative wattage the motor drew with/without the alt and it was fairly close to that figure. I can also hear the change in the pitch of the motor ‘whine’ when the load changes and get a feel for what load is present that way.
The stock alt didn’t seem to tax it much no matter what the load but when I tried the full blown 450w zx14 alt, it barely spun up with a large load and would pop a breaker on some power strips.

What I liked even less though is the heat output at high loads, the loaded zx14 alt would quickly go to 100 degrees over ambient, probably not what you want sitting in the oil bath of a small air cooled motor.

So yes, there are consequences to having excessive alternator capacity.
The good part is that it’s possible to de-rate to a capacity fitting to the application by lobotomizing a percentage of the coils from the stator, in the case of the zx14 alt only 6 of 15 original coils were retained. I still got over 200w at 4300rpm with pretty minimal drag and it ran very cool at only 10 degrees over ambient.
3 phase just seems to be more efficient, runs noticeably cooler and with less drag than equivalent output from single phase.
The rotor is also very close in weight to the aluminum 6 pole stator and on a gsxr750 alt, quit a bit lighter.

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:45 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
Dissection...
Better documentation this time,
I have taken apart one, leaving the other one whole for comparison as I go,
I confirm the previous findings;
Large spools wound right-hand, small spools wound left-hand. Inner coils and outer coils on each spool match winding direction.(ie; both large coils on the same spool are wound right-hand, both small coils on same spool are wound left-hand)

Here's something I don't remember, or never found, All inner coils are connected in series, to make one complete circuit of four coils, one end to ground, one end connected to wire exiting. Likewise, All outer coils are connected to eachother to make one circuit of four coils in series, one end to ground, the other end to wire exiting. ( did we discover that detail way back before, I don't remember???

Length of wire-#20 gauge
Large spools- 22 loops each layer, four layers
- -top layer-69 inch
- -next layr-68.5 inch
- - total- 137.5 inch for outer coil
- -total- 115 inch for inner coil

All measurements within any fraction of an inch! (Because wire is not perfectly straight as measured)

Small spools- 14 loops each layer, four layers
- -top layer-45.75 inch
- -next layr-45. inch
- -total-90.75 inch for outer coil
- -total-73.75 inch for inner coil

Is there anything I have omitted that we need to know?
Do we need any ohms readings from these coils?

Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DewCatTea-Bob

Stock Stator-winding Measurements

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 pm

[quote= ecurbruce ...
" Dissection...
I have taken apart one, leaving the other one whole for comparison as I go, "

____ Bruce, (hoping that it's not already too-late), please don't change ANYthing on the second-stator,, as we really ought-to save it for Bill to keep, in exchange for HIS stator-spools (which he's been wearing-out [due-to all the excessive handling]) !

" Here's something I don't remember,
All inner coils are connected in series, to make one complete circuit of four coils,
Likewise, All outer coils are connected to eachother to make one circuit of four coils in series, ( did we discover that detail way back before, ??? "

____ I'm sure I would've remembered that relevant detail if you had ever posted it before, as that even more-so uneven arrangement means that one of the stator-outputs is extra unbalanced with the other (since the outer coil-loops are longer than the inner-loops) !
__ I should've more intensely wondered about that detail, rather than assuming that-which I had-before gathered was the actual-case... As before, I had been left thinking that the two separate stator-circuit outputs were arranged through the stator-coils as: #1-large-inner to small-outer to large-inner to small-outer & #2-large-outer to small-inner to large-outer to small-inner, (which still doesn't make the two stator-winding circuit-lengths exactly the same but, would help keep them both closer to the same total-length.
__ Are you fairly sure that both stators are indeed arrange-connected that same-way which you've just discovered ?

Length of wire-#20 gauge
Large spools- 22 loops each layer, four layers
-__________-top layer-69 inch
-__________-next layr-68.5 inch
-__________-total- _ 137.5 inch for outer coil
-__________-total- _ 115 inch for inner coil

Small spools- 14 loops each layer, four layers
-__________-top layer-45.75 inch
-__________-next layr-45. inch
-__________-total- _ 90.75 inch for outer coil
-__________-total- _ 73.75 inch for inner coil
____ THANKS for this useful information !
(When I noticed what your intended spacing had been, I added the lines to hold your-spacing [which isn't maintained, once posted].)
__ Clarification-point for others... When Bruce states: "coil" -(which is usually considered to be a unit-set of many loop-turns), he's meaning what I do whenever I state 'winding' or 'power-winding'. _ Where-as the inner AND outer coil-windings together (as a single unit), compile as a 'power-coil'.

" All measurements within any fraction of an inch! "

____ Being measured within an inch (+/- .5") is close-enough, (since we're not concerned with those lengths being 'matched').

" Is there anything I have omitted that we need to know? "

____ At this time, nothing-else is occurring to me.

" Do we need any ohms readings from these coils? "

____ We may-not NEED them but, you should record their readings anyhow,, as well as the resistances of the lengths you've unwound.
__ And since Bill seems to have such an accurate weight-scale, send those winding-lengths to him for weighing.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Bob says;"Bruce, (hoping that it's not already too-late), please don't change ANYthing on the second-stator,, as we really ought-to save it for Bill to keep (in exchange for his spools which he's been wearing-out) ! "

Sounds like a good plan-- not too late.
I'll forward it to Bill with next rewinds

Bruce

DewCatTea-Bob

Next-round of Power-coil Winding-plans

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 am

[quote= ecurbruce ...
" Sounds like a good plan-- not too late. "

____ Okay, good. _ As it's more of a fair-plan !
Even-though it may cost a little more for shipping, I figure that Bill ought-to be given the option of keeping for himself which-ever stock-stator he prefers to keep for his-own project,, since his-own stator-spools are likely more fit as candidates for being rewound.

" I'll forward it to Bill with next rewinds "

____ Concerning the 'plans' for exactly what-all you'll next send to him.....
__ We still have the original plan of creating a six power-coil alt.stator which offers superior power to the stock-unit,, plus now, a four power-coil stator with similar, (though less grandiose) goals.
__ Could you check to see which thicker gauge -(either #16; 17, or 18) will best fit (probably 4-layers) within a large-bobbin ? _ As such as that will be one-thing which everyone will want to discover the outcome of.
__ And for the four power-coil project, we need a small-bobbin wound with a double-winding of gauge-#24 wrapped to 8-layers deep.
____ To make things easier for Bill, you should expect to ship all three stator-cores which are currently in your possession,, (we'll later figure-out exactly how the two non-stock cores will be dressed).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Winding-length vs. Impedance-action

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 am

[quote= wcorey ...
" Maybe the ratio of how much wire was removed to how much power was lost is not linear "

____ I don't have any sure explanation for that, (as I had assumed that wire-length would have a linear relationship to power-output),, but I've been thinking that perhaps individual flux-lines, (if indeed such 'lines' of flux-fields actually do indeed exist), can't be 'cut' more than once at a time, and perhaps all the extra loops of the extended winding do too good of a job finding & cutting the limited number of flux-lines. - (I don't really know for-sure, that's just a theory to explain the disappointing results of the greatly lengthened power-winding. _ If really-actually true however, then rotor-magnets with stronger/denser-mag.fields would allow the ratio of power-to-impedance to accordingly improve, and thus-then would've allowed that removed outer-layer to have been reasonably more productive.)
__ Now concerning 'impedance'...
During my training, I was allowed to believe that the (straight) length of the wire which cuts-through the mag.flux-field has a linear-relationship to how much tension is developed, but I don't specifically recall ever being told that once the wire is coiled-up into tightly-packed loop-turns, that 'impedance' is then intensified to some particular increased-rate accordingly to loop-turn density,, but I'm still fairly sure that such packed density is what causes the (unwanted) impedance-factor to build-up (as the created-mag.fields [surrounding all the individual loop-turns] fight each-other [repeatedly] as they all come-into full-existence [while passing AC], between neighboring loop-turns).
That's got to-be the root-cause of the impedance-factor within a coiled-wire,, as a straight-wire of equal-length, isn't so plagued with that type of resistance ! _ (Too-bad that there's not a way to wind a power-coil so that each of it's loop-turns is neighbored by loop-turns which are wound in the opposite-direction ! _ Then that-way, the impedance-factor would be totally nullified. _ However, the 'twin' type winding-configuration could possibly be arranged to address that matter [rather through the core].)

" but I don't see it as an increase, really. "

____ You're right of-course that the 'max.power-output' is-NOT actually increased !
I had merely meant-to indicate that only-just the average test-result had yielded a substantial "INCREASE".

" Of course the ohm value where the peak power occurred has shifted down along with the working impedance that was reduced by removing wire. But the peak is still lower no matter how you cut it "

____ Indeed,, it seems that that outer-layer provided a ratio of added-power to added-impedance which was relatively-unproductive.
A fair-call by Bruce, which has seemed to lead us to realize that winding-length is especially susceptible to the detrimental effect of impedance-action.

" and when I remove another layer it will be lower still. "

____ No-doubt the 'peak' will be at a still-yet lower-resistance and along-with a reduced max.power,, but the question is whether it'd be roughly an equally-small further loss in power-output, OR a MUCH-bigger degrease !? _ (As the NEXT-layer's ratio of power-to-impedance may or may-not be as substantial.)

" Bob, you-yourself don’t even want to go back to it, the cumbersome entanglement that it is. You think anyone else will? "

____ My main-concern with that old-tread, is that it had already gotten TOO-long !
And the only reason for why I haven't felt like tackling it, is merely due-to the fact that it's too consuming to write-up response-posts to excessively-long extended-postings.
__ We probably have yet to pick-up members who are at-least as interested in such, as ourselves.
I know that I-myself would've really loved to eat-it-all-up back in the days when all such stuff was relatively new to me.
Certainly there are indeed others who thirst for such stuff ! _ We just have to hope that THEY one-day will come to own a Duke-single and register-up here.

" Tell me it’s not all but useless in present form, all that effort, all but wasted… "

____ The effort was-not really wasted ! _ While it's a rough-road, at least it's a road that exists for anyone who wishes to take a hike through such a forest !
Maybe most people don't really care to shop for their info in wild-fields,, but until we finally pick the creme-of-the-crop and present it in a convenience-store setting, at-least the product is already AVAILABLE (even if-not quite ripe) !

" My point is…
I’m starting to feel this one going the same way, just another endless rabbit hole that, while interesting, has even less potential for some tangible benefit. "

____ While you-yourself may see the glass as 'half-empty', I and other readers here surely see it as half-FULL !
Certainly you can see that the existence of this-thread's context is better than not existing at all !?
(Hopefully others who well agree, will bother to chime-in to let Bill know that all his efforts are quite MUCH-appreciated, [despite any minuscule contributions].)

" As soon as it became apparent that gains to be had with the rewinds are not very significant, I started losing interest and the effort-to-result ratio is rapidly becoming less than acceptable for me… "

____ I guess I shouldn't have been so optimistic about the beneficial-effect of extended winding-length, in the first-place,, (so that you then wouldn't have gotten the chance to become so disappointed).
However, the goal of significantly outperforming the stock power-coils, still exists,, even-if as little as 20% (instead of 200%), is all the possible gain that can actually be obtained.

" I’m all for trying a couple more winding configurations that if nothing else may at least answer questions I had about JBCollier’s rewound stator. "

____ I'm glad to learn that you have at-least SOME enthusiasm for something, left !
__ It's of-course up-to Bruce but, I-myself would like to see either a 4-layer/16-gauge or 6-layer/18-gauge power-winding/coil, tested-out.
Do you have a preferred-preference ?

" But I don’t intend to chase this too far into the future just for some largely academic conclusions. "

____ Of-course you've been pretty fair enough Bill, but it's become fairly-clear that YOU're not the-man for the job of pinning-down minute-details in this endeavor (like somebody such-as myself would be more inclined to do).

" Once the coils are in place/wired up and the stator in place/lined up with the rotor, the testing part is easy. When I have to change anything that requires getting back into the stator, it tends to get time consuming. "

____ Hopefully the available number of stator-cores will significantly help facilitate the ease of arrangement testing.

" Never made a puller for the stock rotor so I tap on the mounting/motor shaft end to dislodge it "

____ Too-bad that your motor-shaft isn't threaded, so that you could then easily just snug-down the mag.rotor with nuts & spacers.

" Also the coil bobbins are brittle/delicate, fit tightly on the stator and it’s difficult not to cause damage when pulling them off. And two small coils have to move to remove a large one so lots of that is wise to avoid. "

____ Too bad you hadn't made these points before Bruce sent his shipment, as I'm sure he then would've included his stator-core along-with.

" Same goes for the wires entering/exiting the stock coils that have been reconfigured uncountable times by now. It’s only a matter of time before one parts company in a blind location, if it’s an inner winding then it’s all over for that coil short of a rewind.
I still have plans for that stator if I ever get back to things like a DIY for the ‘3section mod’, if it survives the abuse long enough… "

____ Then it's quite fairly sensible for YOUR stator/spools to finally be replaced ! _ So I've asked Bruce to send one of my STOCK-stators to you, to replace yours.

" Then there's the relentlessness of banging out these responses… "

____ Too-bad that you don't share my attitude that posting facts is a FUN-thing to do, (whenever there's nothing-else more pressing to get-done, of-course).

HOPEful-Cheers,
-Bob

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:16 am

Here's something I don't remember, or never found, All inner coils are connected in series, to make one complete circuit of four coils, one end to ground, one end connected to wire exiting. Likewise, All outer coils are connected to each other to make one circuit of four coils in series, one end to ground, the other end to wire exiting. ( did we discover that detail way back before, I don't remember???

Hmm, more weirdness... That's new info for me also and good to know.
Haven't really figured out the ramifications of it but I'm sure it would shed some light on some past testing oddities.
I was never able to discern which set of wires went to to inner/outer windings only by looking at mine, theoretically could have figured it out with resistance values but I never attempted it.

Is there anything I have omitted that we need to know?

Yes, Bob was asking about confirmation of the difference I had noted in how the wires exit the various coils, whether it was the same on other stators. On three of the coils on both of my stators the wires are/were in the the same order, having a relatively inconsequential difference only in which particular holes in the bobbin they exit from.
The big aberration was that the first large one had the polarities reversed from the other large one, if you applied dc voltage to the first pair of wires it would result in opposite polarity when applied the same way on the same pair on the other coil.

____ Of-course you've been pretty fair enough Bill, but it's become fairly-clear that YOU're not the-man for the job of pinning-down minute-details in this endeavor (like somebody such-as myself would be more inclined to do).

I'm sure you're correct there, I just can't develop a strong enough interest to spend the time for methodical detail in many different aspects of this project.
If either you or Bruce ever want to set up a test rig, I'd be happy to supply the rotor adapter to go on a motor shaft as well as a generic bracket to hold the stator. Just bolt a motor and the bracket down to something and shim the bracket to line up the stator/rotor.

__ It's of-course up-to Bruce but, I-myself would like to see either a 4-layer/16-gauge or 6-layer/18-gauge power-winding/coil, tested-out.
Do you have a preferred-preference ?

No, that's fine.

" Never made a puller for the stock rotor so I tap on the mounting/motor shaft end to dislodge it "

____ Too-bad that your motor-shaft isn't threaded, so that you could then easily just snug-down the mag.rotor with nuts & spacers.

The shaft and rotor have a taper, a straight shaft wouldn't provide adequate alignment. There's a threaded hole in the end of the shaft for a bolt and washer to cinch the two together, effectively locking them even after the bolt is removed. I could use a jaw type puller but it's just one more thing to have to fool around with, a sharp whack on the loosened bolt head is much faster.

____ Too bad you hadn't made these points before Bruce sent his shipment, as I'm sure he then would've included his stator-core along-with.
Would still have to remove the bobbins to unwind a layer from them and they likely fit just as snug on a different core.

____ Too-bad that you don't share my attitude that posting facts is a FUN-thing to do, (whenever there's nothing-else more pressing to get-done, of-course).
Oh, it can be fun if it's something of current interest to me and doesn't become too cumbersome. I'm spread a little thin these days, a lot of different things going on. I do tend to lose enthusiasm when I get bogged down with too many details, particularly documentation and paperwork.

machten

Postby machten » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:41 pm

This is just a joke, guys, and I only mention it because I came across it yesterday and DCT Bob referred to "glass half full/empty"...

A Product Marketer, a Project Manager and an Engineer were asked to comment about half a glass of water....

Product Marketer: "The glass is half full"
Project Manager: "The glass is half empty"
Engineer: "The glass is twice as large as it needs to be"

Kev

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Kev,
Thanks, for that :)
And with that goes- " my glass is always half full, it's the straw that's sucking the life out of me!"

Bill says;"
Yes, Bob was asking about confirmation of the difference I had noted in how the wires exit the various coils, whether it was the same on other stators. On three of the coils on both of my stators the wires are/were in the the same order, having a relatively inconsequential difference only in which particular holes in the bobbin they exit from.
The big aberration was that the first large one had the polarities reversed from the other large one, if you applied dc voltage to the first pair of wires it would result in opposite polarity when applied the same way on the same pair on the other coil.

I can confirm that these two stators are (were, not any more) exactly the same , so when you receive this whole stator, compare it to yours.
If you examine the photo of all the inner coils still connected in series, you can see where their respective wires exit, and compare that with what you previously know to be true, concerning which wires exit where.

These next two photos show the two coils in question as they appear on the whole stock stator I'm sending to Bill.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”