Troubleshooting Alternator Wiring

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

ecurbruce

Re: Troubleshooting Alternator Wiring

Postby ecurbruce » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Bob says;"
____ I failed to closely look-over the complete-stators before packing them for shipping but,, I had assumed that the stator-core could be rather easily removed from the stator-plate, more-so than removing the spools off-from the core-fingers !?
Would recombining the star-core back-onto the stator-plate, be a bigger-problem (than the already practiced alternative) ? "

There are pressure swedged posts holding the base of the stator to the six posted laminated stator core. Removing and separating them wouldn't be all that much trouble, just grind away the swedged post heads. Putting the stator core back onto the base , finding a permanent means of attachment, would be a different matter all together. Although, didn't someone come up with another mounting base, or modification?, or did I hear (read) that somewhere else? I suppose it could be welded back where the post heads were ground away... Seems like more trouble, but that's just me...

Bruce
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Hmm, another uncharacteristically long absence, I hope Bob is ok...

Took another layer off the large rewound coil, still behaving in a predictable manner (IMHO).
Peak wattage output went down a bit, as well as the load resistance at where it occurred.
I Included the previous tests here for convenience.

Test data from Bruce's rewound 'large' coil.
‘Double wound', connected in parallel.
3550 rpm, generic bridged rec (full rectification).

.5ohm----4.4a-----2.1vdc------8w
1 ohm----3.3a----3.7vdc------12.2w
2 ohm----2.6a----5.4vdc------14w
3 ohm----2a------6.4vdc------12.8w

Same tests but one 'layer' of wire (48" x2) removed.

.5ohm----4.2a----2.3vdc-------9.7w
1 ohm----3.5a----3.8vdc------13.3w
2 ohm----2.5a----5.3vdc------13.25w
3 ohm----1.9a----6.1vdc------12w

Same tests but two 'layers' of wire (48" x2) removed.

.5ohm----4.3a----2.4vdc-------10.3w
1 ohm----3.4a----3.6vdc------12.2w
1.5 ohm--2.7a----4.4vdc------11.9w
2 ohm----2.3a----4.8vdc------11.1w
3 ohm----1.7a----5.3vdc------9w

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Bill says;
"Took another layer off the large rewound coil, still behaving in a predictable manner (IMHO).
Peak wattage output went down a bit, as well as the load resistance at where it occurred.
I Included the previous tests here for convenience."

What I notice there is although the peak wattage is decreasing as the coils are unwound, I also see at the maximum load of 0.5 ohms the voltage AND wattage is increasing, while the amperage is staying (relatively) similar. Though it's a small and seemingly insignificant amount, and at the wrong load range, what we're seeing is the 0.5 ohms mark coming increasingly closer to the top of the curve of maximum output of watts, which means- as wire is removed and just as useable power and wattage decreases as it moves away from the top of the maximum wattage curve, at the same time wattage increases at a higher load (in this case 0.5 ohms) as it's manipulated toward the curve peak. By adding or removing wire, the maximum wattage can be dialed in to peak at a specific ohms load value. One more layer removed may put the peak at 0.5 ohms.

Bruce

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:37 am

[quote="wcorey"]Hmm, another uncharacteristically long absence, I hope Bob is ok...

Bob wanted me to let the forum know that he's in the hospital again, I took him in late Friday night.
I went and saw him tonight he's in way better shape than he was Friday and hopes to come home Tuesday.

Oh by the way I've been on the forum for a while but don't post very much,, I just pick up the phone or stop over
to Bob's if I have any Ducati related question's, so if you don't recognize me that's the reason...

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:43 am

Wish him well please

Graeme

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:11 am

Oh by the way I've been on the forum for a while but don't post very much,, I just pick up the phone or stop over
to Bob's if I have any Ducati related question's, so if you don't recognize me that's the reason...

I seem to remember you being a fairly regular poster back around when I first joined here.
It's good there's someone to check in on Bob here and there, I hope he's back up to speed soon and please wish him well from me also.

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 am

Bob made it home tonight and is doing better,,,,
I'm surprised he hasn't been on yet, but it is still early (for him).

Vin

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:26 am

Get well soon, Bob, and don't feel like you have to rush back to this forum, we'll be here when you feel well enough to return.

Bruce

Harvey

Postby Harvey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes take your time Bob, don't push it. We an't going nowhere. 8-)
Harvey.

DewCatTea-Bob

DCT.Bob-TROUBLES ...

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 pm

____ Thanks MUCH for relieving the pressure here guys !
__ I really very-MUCH disfavor going so incredibly OFF-topic but, I really want to tell people about my developed situation !! ...
I'm not going to rehash why I had gone to the hospital back on Oct.2nd, as I was released from that original-issue in good-standing and continued-on to improve well back to normal - (NO relapse at all with that !) !
__ Now I've been on a particular RA.med/drug since 1999, and since it's known to be not-good for one's liver, I've ever-since had to have my liver checked every 3 or 4 months,, and EVERY single time (at-least 50 times), my liver has ALWAYS been well out of any jeopardy (to the point that I'm the only RA.patient who's been allowed to take up to 150% of normal-dosing) !!
But-NOW all of the sudden (after my previous hospital-stay), my liver has taken a sharp nose-dive well down into the DANGER-zone ! _ And what does the hospital do for me to address my new-found condition ? ... They mainly pumped me full of a vast-range of various antibiotics, (at-least 7 different types which I had happened to learn of), and they also sent me home with an oral version to take as well !! _ Nothing else (that I know of) was used to treat my very-poor condition (other than to get me fully rehydrated).
__ SO, I can't help but deduce that some portion of all the foreign blood I was given during my first hospital-stay, was contaminated with something that my liver wasn't up-to handling (probably in combo with my RA.med, which I'm now no-longer allowed to take anymore).
____ My special-thanks to fellow-member 'Thevin', for convincing me to let him take me back to the hospital. - (He could've instead just hoped I'd croak, cuz I've already-before told him previously that he can have all my Duke-stuff after I ever finally bite-the-dust.)

____ On-topic now,, it's a good-thing that I sent the alt.stators to Bruce when I did, cuz now I'm TOO disabled to get-around & look-up such things (since I have yet to fully recover from this new-BS and can't take my RA.med that had allowed me to have at-least some kind of life with my severe-RA) !
__ I hope to soon feel more like getting back to where we've left-off on this thread !

Bummed-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”