Some Electrical Reference - 1958 175 Sport

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

machten

Some Electrical Reference - 1958 175 Sport

Postby machten » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Hi All,

I think this 1958 Sport is largely unmessed with, but it has been interfered with to some very small degree. I was wondering if it is worth posting a few pics of some electrics? I'll post some more as they come to hand if people think it worth doing. This will happen over an extended period - probably 12 months.

Here's some external pics for one of these...

What do you think? Is it worth doing, or is it past being of reference value?

Kev
Last edited by machten on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ventodue

Re: Some Electrical Reference - 1959 175 Sport

Postby Ventodue » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Yes, Kev.

All such stuff is potentially useful - or at the least, interesting. And with this modern 'Interweb-forum-thingy' (thank you, Jim), it's so easy ...

Nice bike. New acquisition?

Ciao

Craig

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 pm

[quote= machten ...
" I think this 1959 Sport is largely unmessed with,
I was wondering if it is worth posting a few pics of some electrics? "

____ Yes indeed,, and THANK-YOU Kev, for your very thoughtful consideration !!
If your 175's electrical-parts have never been altered in any way, then it would be quite important to take-note of all wiring-connections & the colors of each wire, etc.,etc. !

Cheery-CHEERS,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

machten

Postby machten » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:44 am

Nice bike. New acquisition?

Thanks Craig. As you know, I was rather fond of riding Paul's little 175 over your way last year, so I bought this one back in January of this year with a view to doing the MotoGiro on it in 2015. It appears almost perfectly original other than the tail light (which is off a period lambretta). The plan is to do an oily rag clean up and any mechanical and electrical aspects that need attention, but to preserve whatever I can.

This Duc is currently in the UK where it will be prepared for me by Barry Jones of Classic Ducati (it makes no sense to send it to Australia for me to do, only to send it back again). Barry kindly picked it up from Italy for me whist he was on holiday nearby in April. I haven't actually seen it in the flesh yet (although a friend has and has taken quite a few photos for me) and won't get to for some time, but I will ask Barry to take lots of photos as he goes through it. He wants to do so for his own reference anyway. I have agreed with Barry that given the long lead time he can fit this one in amongst his other projects, so it may take some time before all the photos are done.

Kev

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 am

Top stuff. It certainly 'smells' like an unmolested machine, so I like your 'Oily Rag' resoration plan chez Barry. How did you find it in the first place?

(Now, should I be making plans for a 2015 MotoGiro :? ?)

graeme

Postby graeme » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 am

Hi Kev,

I've said before that is the prettiest Ducati I've seen.
Please post as many pictures as you can.
I know what Craig means about the pictures having a scent.

Graeme

machten

Postby machten » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi Craig and Graeme,

I'd decided after riding Paul's again last year and loving the experience that I just had to have one, and having done shiny restoration thing a number of times now, I was keen to go down a slightly different path. I kept my eyes out for a 175s that might prove suitable for an oily rag job. I wish I was doing it myself, but these things are very rare in this neck of the woods, and my looking was mostly done in Europe.

I got lucky and I found this one in january on http://www.moto.it in Italy on the day it was posted up and immediately got in contact with the owner. Marco, a friend of mine was visiting his family villa in Graglia at the time, and the duc was in nearby Milan. Ivan declined my offer of a holding deposit until Marco got there to have a look. He said he'd just hold it for me. Marco (who owns about 20 classic italians of various marques), checked it out and took some photos. A few days later, the deal was done and Marco picked it up and stored it in Graglia, from where Barry and Angela picked it up whilst on holiday. As it turns out, I am now the second owner of it and I have all the original documentation as well.

I have to say, so far, everything has fallen into place nicely. I hope the next few phases carry on in that vein and there arent too many surprises!

The photos that Marco took can be found here if anyone wants to see them...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7q6af6tx5qgrcl5/BDgwF4sauX

Kev
Last edited by machten on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:32 am

machten wrote:The photos that Marco took can be found here, if anyone wants to see them...

Yeh, like we wouldn't, you bloody tease .... :D

You've gotta be One Happy Boy there, Kev. Looks like the real deal and a right cracker - truly unmolested. Glad it's gone to someone who appreciates it, too - and is gonna get it back on the road as well.

Super! I look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

machten

Postby machten » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:54 am

(Now, should I be making plans for a 2015 MotoGiro ?)

It would be wonderful to catch up for a ride again, Craig. All going well, the West Aussie invasion will be happening again. We'll decide on whether to do the MotoGiro once we see the route for 2015. Interest is mounting for some riding in the Pyrenees (I think you might have started that!) either before, after or instead of the Giro depending on how interesting the Giro looks. Regardless, we'll be there sometime between end May and early July.

Super! I look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

As this one is mine to lend, you'll be more than welcome to park your backside on this one and I'll see if I can catch you going down a pass! :D

Kev

machten

Re: Some Electrical Reference - 1958 175 Sport

Postby machten » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:00 am

I meant to mention...

the duc was actually licensed in July 1958, not 59, and numbers are consistent with 1958 production. I don't think I can change an intial title, sorry!

Kev

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”