newbie with 250 Monza issues (backfire/noise/gaso-oil)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Adriano

newbie with 250 Monza issues (backfire/noise/gaso-oil)

Postby Adriano » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Greetings all! Although this is my first post I have been a regular visitor to this site over the past year since acquiring my first Ducati last April, a 1965 Monza 250. I want to start off by thanking you all for your invaluable contributions, which have been instrumental in getting my duke to where she is today. Anywho, I would like to start off describing the two problems I am having (or possibly perceive I am having) and then follow-up with some background and supplementary info.

After performing a frame-up, mostly cosmetic restoration I am now at the point where I have the Monza running and able to ride it around the driveway. I have not road tested or taken her past second gear while riding. The issues that I am encountering 1) the engine idles OK but when I give it any moderate throttle, I get a nice backfire. This is both at standstill in neutral and riding around the driveway. The severity and frequency of the backfire has definitely increased since the events to be described below. Here is a video of the backfire VIDEO 2) I am not sure how normal this is as I have not owned any other ducati singles, but the top end seems to make an awful lot of noise/chatter. The audio quality is poor, but here is another video attempting to focus on the noise while idling VIDEO.

Now before any proper diagnosis can occur, a little background information: the first time I had her running was around this past Christmas. In all of my exuberance to finally have a running bike, I neglected to shut up the petcocks (rookie mistake I know). I did not have another chance to work on the bike for two months after that. After running the bike between 20-30 minutes, split between idling and some short driveway riding, I thought I started to hear the chatter from the top end worsening (not sure if I was just being hypersensitive at that point to any noise) and shut her down. Upon draining the oil I found that it had been heavily comprised with gasoline and realized what had happened and panicked. In addition to the gasoline in the oil, the oil seemed to be laden with extremely small silver-ish particles as well as larger silver (aluminum?) flakes mostly caught against the oil filter. Fast forward a couple weeks and several oil changes later and the silver particles/flakes are no longer appearing in the oil.

That pretty much brings me up to where I am today with experiencing issues 1) and 2) above. Im not sure how much is related to the special gaso-oil mix I was running for those 20-30 min or how much long term bearing/engine damage was done during that time. Any inputs on the situation would be greatly appreciated. My current plan for this weekend is to check the ignition timing which will hopefully be the cause of the backfiring.

Attached are supplementary pictures for the carb(UBF 24BS) http://imgur.com/7qQwmF1.jpg , serial number http://imgur.com/1kSEKQj.jpg , and metal flakes http://imgur.com/6YPu9bl.jpg . I would imbed these pics but they need to be resized.. Thanks all for the help and sorry for the long post..

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”