Dell'Orto SSI rebuild question

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

blaat!

Re: Dell'Orto SSI rebuild question

Postby blaat! » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:03 pm

Hmm. Any idea how to check the float level Jordan?

While I had the float bowl apart I realized that the tickler and the float needle would need to be changed at the same time, otherwise the tickler would be too long and interfering with the float. Could there be more than one tickler length? Ugh.

I put everything back together, started it up, and let it run for 10 minutes. It was dusk and I could see a slight red glow to the exhaust. Then I noticed that I can turn the air adjustment screw all the way in (making it more rich) and it ran better. This makes me believe it is running too lean.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:10 am

There will be a round plug on one side of your carb, below the air slide on the side.
The bottom edge of this plug indicates where the fuel level should be.
To check it you need to provide for a way to attach a transparent tube to the bottom of the carb, so one end is in the petrol-gas.
That's the tricky part - unless you have a spare bottom plug or float bowl that can be modified, something will need to be made up.
When the tube is installed, hold the other end pointing upwards near the plug, and it will be evident if the fuel level needs adjustment.
There's info for the SS carbs here, with diagrams: https://www.thisoldtractor.com/dellorto ... etors.html

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:36 pm

Well that is clever! I think I can find a plastic fitting of a similar enough thread with a barbed fitting on the other side to attach the clear tube. A little teflon tape would seal the mismatched hand-tight threads.

The image isn't great, but it looks like the level should be between the bottom and center of the welch plug on the choke slide:

dellorto-level.JPG

Thanks Jordan!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blaat!

Postby blaat! » Thu May 25, 2023 12:10 am

Ok figured it out. The float level with the clear tube came in spot-on, but still hard to start. Finally I swapped out the ignition coil and it started easily with a few kicks. Getting closer!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”