My first Duke (and my 1st post)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Unneeded Camshafts

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:39 pm

" I will never use the Monza cam or the 'special' Race cam "

____ I thought you were at-least content with your Duke's performance when you had your special-cam in it !? _ Why do you no-longer want it installed ?
__ That cam ought to work pretty-well in somebody's 450-Duke.
____ Monza-cams usually sell for only 30 to 50 bucks on eBay.
There ought to be someone who wishes to have one for running with milder valve-timing. _ But while the Monza-cam was Ducati's mildest, it's not really a very-mild cam.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kaysystems

Re: Unneeded Camshafts

Postby kaysystems » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I will never use the Monza cam or the 'special' Race cam "

____ I thought you were at-least content with your Duke's performance when you had your special-cam in it !? _ Why do you no-longer want it installed ?
__ That cam ought to work pretty-well in somebody's 450-Duke.
____ Monza-cams usually sell for only 30 to 50 bucks on eBay.
There ought to be someone who wishes to have one for running with milder valve-timing. _ But while the Monza-cam was Ducati's mildest, it's not really a very-mild cam.

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

Questions - Questions.

Yes I was quite happy with the race cam, but It was with the Monza head. I don't think the springs were strong enough, and I'm sure there was valve float at higher rpm.

I'll probably give all the cams a try after the rebuild, and then decide what to do.

Still have a lot of work to do before that happens

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

DewCatTea-Bob

Racing-camshaft & Possible Valve-float

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

" I don't think the springs were strong enough, and I'm sure there was valve float at higher rpm. "

____ The small-valve heads do indeed employ weaker springs for the lighter exhaust-valve, and that's not too-good since it's that valve which could get into trouble if it's not kept under control with that which the cam is intending, (however the intake-valve can float away from the cam without causing sudden troubles, [and then possibly also actually improve high-RPM power-output, with a non-racing cam] ).

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kaysystems

Re: Racing-camshaft & Possible Valve-float

Postby kaysystems » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I don't think the springs were strong enough, and I'm sure there was valve float at higher rpm. "

____ The small-valve heads do indeed employ weaker springs for the lighter exhaust-valve, and that's not too-good since it's that valve which could get into trouble if it's not kept under control with that which the cam is intending, (however the intake-valve can float away from the cam without causing sudden troubles, [and then possibly also actually improve high-RPM power-output, with a non-racing cam] ).

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

And it was noticeable. I don't remember if I ever ran the race cam with big valves.

But before I get there I need to fix the problem in the attached photo

The plug is protruding by a thread or so. Somebody was using a longer plug and adapter screwed into the head.
There is now a 'Big-Sert' thread repair as the adapter didn't seem to seal or stay in very well.

So I either buy a shorter plug - NGK have them, or I use an indexing washer

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”