My first Duke (and my 1st post)

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

kaysystems

Re: Camshaft Related-stuff

Postby kaysystems » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:"

____ So how many camshafts do you actually have besides that racing-cam, David ? ...
You've already mentioned 'Green&White', and 'Gray' cam.models,, and I gather that you must also have had a Monza and a w-c.250Mark-3 cam.models, as well... is that correct ?

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

Right now I have a narrow case Monza, the Green & White, a Gray and the special racing one.
The w-c mark 3 cam was sold with the head I believe. I have stuff in boxes as I'm moving house. When I unpack I'll look for cams and photos

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:34 am

" I have a narrow case Monza, "

____ That cam.model's color-code is 'Violet'.

" The w-c mark 3 cam was sold with the head I believe. "

____ Oh, that's too-bad.
I was under the impression that your Duke had it's Monza-cyl.head replaced with the w-c.Mk3-head !? _ So-thus if you have sold a cyl.head, it then seems that it would've been the Monza-head (& cam) that you'd no-longer have.
__ Anyhow, I believe that the w-c.Mk3-cam and your M1-cam both share the 'Gray' color-code,, which is too-bad cuz they're fairly different !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kaysystems

Postby kaysystems » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I have a narrow case Monza, "

____ That cam.model's color-code is 'Violet'.

" The w-c mark 3 cam was sold with the head I believe. "

____ Oh, that's too-bad.
I was under the impression that your Duke had it's Monza-cyl.head replaced with the w-c.Mk3-head !? _ So-thus if you have sold a cyl.head, it then seems that it would've been the Monza-head (& cam) that you'd no-longer have.
__ Anyhow, I believe that the w-c.Mk3-cam and your M1-cam both share the 'Gray' color-code,, which is too-bad cuz they're fairly different !

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

Guess I missed out part of the story. I was trying to keep it short, and memory seems to fail me at times. It is only 39 years since I bought the little guy.

I don't remember whatever happened to the Monza head. I did sell the W-C head, but I found a narrow case big valve head on eBay. Guess what I found inside it when it arrived. A Green & White cam. That made it a really good buy.
The gray cam was bought as an M1 gray cam separately.
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 pm

" I did sell the W-C head, "

____ Would you possibly care to offer your explanation as to why you allowed yourself to part-ways with it ?

" I found a narrow case big valve head on eBay "

____ Do you recall which eBay -(which world-country's) you found it on, and what year you made that lucky find ?

" A Green & White cam. That made it a really good buy. "

____ Considering that that G&W.cam seems to be the 350M3-cam (as opposed to the 250F1-cam), then yes, you definitely got yourself a desirable acquisition ! ...
__ The 350M3-cam is pretty-much just a hotter version of the M1-cam, whereas the 250F1-cam was designed as a racing-cam for the 250-engines, and-so IT is not very good for much of anything else. _ The F1-cam is meant to let a 250 make increased power up near 11,000-RPM BUT,
but the co-employed cyl.head then also needs F1-type valve-springs !
(However since 350 & 450 engines can't breath well enough to rev much past 8500-RPM, std.valve-springs then do the job well enough [with the F1-cam].)
So it's good that you seem to have gotten the non-racing version of the G&W.cam.

" The gray cam was bought as an M1 gray cam separately. "

____ So where did you find THAT M1-cam ? _ Is it not possibly the same one which was original to your n-c.M1-cyl.head ?

____ Sorry if I'm being too nosy.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

kaysystems

Postby kaysystems » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:41 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" I did sell the W-C head, "

____ Would you possibly care to offer your explanation as to why you allowed yourself to part-ways with it ?

I needed some money to fund other parts

" I found a narrow case big valve head on eBay "

____ Do you recall which eBay -(which world-country's) you found it on, and what year you made that lucky find ?

I found it on the US eBay site, probably 5 years ago. From the mid West I think

" The gray cam was bought as an M1 gray cam separately. "

____ So where did you find THAT M1-cam ? _ Is it not possibly the same one which was original to your n-c.M1-cyl.head ?

Found the cam on eBay too, again, somewhere in the US, perhaps 4 years ago.

eBay os good, but often items are incorrectly listed. I got a genuine Mach 1 gear linkage (to go in the shifter box) that was listed for a 450 or other Italian
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

DewCatTea-Bob

My first Duke (and my 1st post)

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 am

____ David, I've edited your post above merely so as to have it 'quote' ONLY* the pertinent parts of my-post (which you had quoted entirely), and-so it now 'quotes' appropriately.
(* It is a bit of extra work, (to insert: [ quote] [/quote] ), which is why I-myself don't usually bother with making use of our w.site's intended quote-function.)

" I needed some money to fund other parts "

____ Oh, I guess that makes fair since IF you acquired the n-c.M1-head prior to letting-go of your w-c.Mk3-head.
Did you sell it through eBay ? _ If so, then what area of the would did it sell to ?

" I found it on the US eBay site, probably 5 years ago. "

____ That's-curious, as I had assumed it was of another eBay-market or another time-period,, cuz I was regularly combing-thru the U.S.eBay back-then. _ So in-order for me to not recall noting it listed, then either it was not listed exactly as it was -(a large-valve head with G&W.cam), or it's price went fairly-well beyond 200-bucks (thus making it an unprofitable-purchase).

" Found the cam on eBay too, again, somewhere in the US, perhaps 4 years ago. "

____ I had assumed that you may have likely bought the "gray" cam from the same seller as you got the n-c.M1-head from, (since both parts were a possible original-match).

" eBay os good, "

____ Your M1-cam was also from a time when I was still keeping my eye-open for such Duke-parts on eBay, so it must have sold (to you) for an amount which Gray-cams were selling for back-then -(110 to 160 US.$).
(If it's price was still well under 100 just-before action end-time, then it's possible that even I-myself got a snipe-bid entered on that listing,, but likely not, as there were most-always unthoughtful-bidders who'd [stupidly] run-up the bidding well above 75-bucks long before auction-end.)

" but often items are incorrectly listed. "

____ You aren't kidden ! _ Before our w.site started (in late 2009), I used to instead spend my time informing sellers of their mis-identifications, and many were quite thankful, (but there were also at least a couple A.hole/ungreats as well !).
__ While it seems that the seller you got the M1/gray-cam from KNEW what he was selling,, I reasonably suspect that the seller who you bought the M1-head & G&W.cam from, didn't realize exactly what they had, (or else their action should've went for over 300).

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob

kaysystems

Re: My first Duke (and my 1st post)

Postby kaysystems » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:00 pm

I always ask questions to the eBay sellers to make sure I get what I think I'm getting. I'll ask if a part is for a Mach 1.
If they simply don't know, then it may be a gamble anyway.
Most of the sellers say what it's for, and know what the part is. For the cylinder head, it was advertised as a narrowcase large valve. He mentioned the diameter of the inlet tract. Now, whether or not he knew about the cam - I don't know. I terestingly, there are no valve seals. Only tapered guides, which I'm told is early Mach 1.

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

kaysystems

Re: My first Duke (and my 1st post)

Postby kaysystems » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 pm

kaysystems wrote:I always ask questions to the eBay sellers to make sure I get what I think I'm getting. I'll ask if a part is for a Mach 1.
If they simply don't know, then it may be a gamble anyway.
Most of the sellers say what it's for, and know what the part is. For the cylinder head, it was advertised as a narrowcase large valve. He mentioned the diameter of the inlet tract. Now, whether or not he knew about the cam - I don't know. Interestingly, there are no valve seals. Only tapered guides, which I'm told is early Mach 1.

I too don't appreciate the folks who jus run up the bids. Doesn't help anybody.

Think I paid around the 100 mark for the gray cam.

Not too many bargains on eBay now.

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

DewCatTea-Bob

Gray-cam Won on eBay

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:54 pm

" I too don't appreciate the folks who jus run up the bids. Doesn't help anybody. "

____ Well actually, it DOES help the seller & eBay, of course.
If such unnecessary early competition-bidding was not practiced by the (rather stupid) majority, then eBay would-not have been so successful as it has become ! _ You'd be surprised as to how many fools fall for the QUESTIONABLE advice that eBay tactfully prods bidders with (within their outbid-notice emails), to provoke the bidders into thinking that it must be wise to maintain their-self as the top-bidder,, (thus helping to keep all the bidders in constant competition to continually raise-up the price), which certainly then leads to MORE money being taken-out of the winner's pocket and put into THEIRS !
__ Ideally, (in best fairness to the winner, anyhow), all bidders ought to place just their best-bid only within the last 10-seconds of the auction,, in that-way, the winner THEN wins fair & square at a FAIR price.
If all of US did it that way, then we wouldn't cost each-other so much extra (as otherwise) !

" Think I paid around the 100 mark for the gray cam. "

____ I think maybe I recall a used one selling for under 110, 4 or 5 years ago. _ The highly sought-after gray cam-model is rarely-ever listed - maybe three listings for one of such, per two-year period. _ So you were lucky to have won one !

____ So now you have spare camshafts...
So do you think there's any possibility that you'll ever pick-up any more DUKEs for yourself (to use them in) ?
If not, then do you think you may ever trade-off at least one of your camshafts ?

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

kaysystems

Re: Gray-cam Won on eBay

Postby kaysystems » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:01 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:"____ So now you have spare camshafts...
So do you think there's any possibility that you'll ever pick-up any more DUKEs for yourself (to use them in) ?
If not, then do you think you may ever trade-off at least one of your camshafts ?

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

According to my better half, no more bikes of any kind.

But I'd love a scrambler.

At the moment I can safely assume that I will never use the Monza cam or the 'special' Race cam

David
1967 Narrowcase 250
2004 Ducati ST3

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”