1958 175 Sport tail light

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

hobby

Re: 1958 175 Sport tail light

Postby hobby » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:48 am

Well here is my personal opinion about restorations or leave it as is etc.

I used to always restore every bike I owned to the factory specs and make them look like new. Over the years I have changed my opion about this in some cases. If the bike has all its original paint and parts I would tend not to restore the bike as I used to. There arer some reasons why I would do restore it as my case with my green frame. I bought it in original condition and paint etc. The tank hwever leaked and was not repaireable without effeccting the original paint. In that case I had no other option than to restore the bike as if it left the factory. I was not happy having to take this path.

I also own a Cucciolo from 1950 which is in original condition and all I did is fix the engine internals and everthing that makes the bike ride well without restorng the patina look of the bike. I like it that way better than if I has restored it.

Mind you the bike you decide to leave as is and not restore it to ex factory look is a difficult issue. Not all bikes with patina is suitable for leaving it as is. You need to look at the actual patina and value it accordingly. I do agree with Kev in leaving a wrong tail light on a bike because of its history. That I would change to the correct one but perhaps try and find a second hand unit with suitable patina. IN other words don't fit a nice shiny new one to the bike.

I do agree with Kev that I would NOT restore this bike (looks wise) and I would only do a basic cleanup job to it and preserve the look it has now.

In regards to who owned it in the past. I do not believe in any value of a Tom Cruze type of people adding any value. If it was Spaggiari or someone like that I would. For a gerneral owner who is not famous I would disregard whatever changes they made to make the bike not standard because they could not find the right tail light at the time. Fit the correct one Kev, but make sure its second hand.

Well that was my input
Paul

machten

Postby machten » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Never having owned an original genuinely old bike like yours before, I don't think I'd restore it ?????
How do you plan to look after the patina that is this bikes attraction to me?
Do you hand polish the cases and paint to protect them? Or just wash it with a mild detergent and water?
Rebuilding any mechanicals that are required to make it rideable isn't seen.

Of course it's your bike and you should have your way with it.

Just interested how a bike like this is kept?

Hi Graeme,

The questions you raise are exactly what I am currently asking myself. I too have no experience with "preservation" - plenty with restoration, but that's different. I recall reading something on the subject of preservation that went along the lines of "it's easier to restore, because you don't have to decide where to stop and what to keep, or decide if you are going to accept that something is going to degrade because you haven't restored it".

I suspect "in extremis" that's a fair assessment.

My greatest fear right now is that on closer assessment I find that something on the bike needs some hot work that will necessitate burning the original paint. I hope not, but until you get things apart, you can't be sure.

I'm currently writing up a "job brief" that contains as much of "don't do" as it does "do". New to me and an interesting experience!

I'd welcome thoughts from anyone that has been through the experience, or even thought about it a bit. As I say...it's new ground for me, and I'll only get one shot at it with this little Duke.

Kev

ecurbruce

Postby ecurbruce » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Kev, (and all),

I guess sentiment sometimes can be a reason to leave things as they are. "Dad" still has the '66 monza (square body) he bought new when I was about 9 years old. I can remember the day be rode it home, the way it smelled, probably due to leaded gasoline, how it felt to ride double on the back through the canyons of southern california...
This is THE duke that I learned to ride on, Dad coaching me, I'm sure sweating that I would not wreck his little prize! I guess I've put the second most miles on that "bike" only after the miles Dad himself put on it.
Well, in the late '70's after the 250 monza was showing some age, it was time to repurpose the machine, and it became something close to a scrambler for off road us only. We modified the frame, to acomodate longer travel shocks and a larger fender for the big knobby rear tire, relocated the foot pegs lower and to the rear, and modified the shift linkage to match. rear shock mounts were moved forward a bit, as was the fad in those days. Kurnutt rear shocks were then
mounted. The front forks were replaced with CZ long travel ones. And fitted with a big mud guard fender. It was fitted with a mikuni carb. and offroad style pipe, and MX type handlebars completed the mod, for off road use. This is how it remains to this day, a useable off-road machine, sitting in the garage with all of his others.
I would change nothing on this machine, because it is useable as it is and went through an evolution from a single owner through the years. And though dad is no one of notoriety, he does know and appreciate Ducati for what it is. He has plenty other Ducati's to satisfy his need for originality.
Although not "original as from the factory", if you knew the history of a machine of this sort, would you change it back to original just because?

Bruce

machten

Postby machten » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am

Hi Bruce,

Nice story! I'd find your last question easy to answer under the circumstances you relate.

It's a definite "no" from me!

Kev

DewCatTea-Bob

To Restore/customize, OR, Leave 'As-is'

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:38 am

" It's a definite "no" from me! "

____ Too bad that all the people who got my DUKEs from me, didn't also have such a loyal attitude !
Most all took & altered-away much of my alteration-improvements by either 'restoring' them back to stock, (in later days),, or (back in the early days), tried to change them into some sort of a 'chopper'. - (Do any of you younger fellows these-days know what a "chopper" is supposed to be ?)
And that WASTING of my good-work/improvements always peeved me a fair bit.
__ I've also noted that the same kind of stuff -($#!+) still continues, (even here with fellow members),, as various Duke-buyers buy another's customized-Duke and then alter it as they-themself see fit. _ So one owner's customized-Duke then becomes another's project-Duke (to later become THEIR customized-Duke). _ So it's kind-of sad to see all the performed customization-work go to waste, and so-thus it somewhat personally bothers me whenever I see such a fairly-nice Duke get purchased by somebody who isn't like-minded with the previous-owner.
But I guess we're all supposed to just shrug-our-shoulders & say 'to-each-his-own' .

Sad-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:14 am

I think we are only custodians of these fine machines, as were the previous owners.
If I can make my Ducati's more useable in todays world but still the next owner can take them back the way they were, then that's ok.
The odd one that can't be easily returned to stock is ok too as long as they aren't parted out.
They are only on loan to us.

DewCatTea-Bob

To Restore/customize, OR, Leave 'As-is'

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 am

By: Bruce...
" And though dad is no one of notoriety, "

____ But actually he IS, (at LEAST to you), cuz he's your 'Dad' !

" he does know and appreciate Ducati for what it is. "

____ In my-book, that's all it takes to not be a mere 'biker' and instead be someone of fair respect & noteworthy notoriety !

" Although not "original as from the factory", if you knew the history of a machine of this sort, would you change it back to original just because? "

____ Apparently many Duke-buyers wish to remain ignorant of an available Duke's past, so that they can then concentrate solely on their-OWN dreamed-of Duke-project.
Somewhat sad, but that's how it is, (whether unfortunate or otherwise).

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

machten

Postby machten » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I think Bruce's post and DCT bob's are prime examples of having to weigh up the value of the conservation of the story of the motorcycle with producing a reproduction of as issued from the factory.

From my perspective, choppering a Duke single was as pointless as preparing an HD WLA for the race track. I don't think there is much of that done now. That being said, I share DCT Bob's sadness at the loss of good mods before the alter of "restoration".

At the end of the day, when we sell our "children", we sell our rights to preserve the story. It can be sad but perhaps when we do that, we can also be at the beginning of a new story.

Kev.

machten

Preservation vs Restoration

Postby machten » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:06 pm

I got some good news today from my friend Marco in Italy adressing my greatest fear of preservation...

From me:

If you get a chance, I’d be interested in you letting me know what barriers you see to just leaving it as it is appearance wise. In particular, do you see any cracks that require welding (e.g. around the forward tank mounts is a classic place). How does the tank look internally? Is there any rust that isn’t just surface rust?

From Marco:

Tank is perfect, no need to reweld the mounts, inside is as good as new…….good couple of days with a rag and some elbow grease, some mechanical checks and she’ll be as good as gold.
I’ll put some more pics on dropbox Monday or Tuesday (forgot my camera cable in Milan) and you can have a look at some more details..
Ciao

m

I'm now pretty condident that a preservation approach is looking viable. Good news!

Kev

machten

Reasons to Preserve

Postby machten » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Met with Marco after his return from Italy having organised the transport of the 175 to his home village and the pickup of the the paperwork. I was quite excited to have the paperwork confirm the little 1958 175S was owned by one person from 1958 all the way to me. Kinda nice!

280,000 lire in 1958. These things cost a bomb! That's US$ 449.00 in 1958 by my calcs. Is that right? It seems outrageously expensive.

Kev

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”