250 Monza project

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

hunde

250 Monza project

Postby hunde » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi all. Wanted to introduce myself, and one of my projects. My name is Tom and I recently purchased a dead 66 Monza 250 project without quite knowing what I'd do with it.

Here it is as I bought it:

It's mostly complete, with a full set of the Monza bodywork in fairly sad shape. The scrambler tank is pretty clean, though not the best paint job - its flaking off at the edges.

I've mostly torn the motor down and it appears to be in pretty good shape without much visible wear. Hasn't run for a long time, but doesn't appear to be thrashed.

I've been talking with Nigel Lacey about parts for the rebuild, and he's been extremely helpful. Planning to go with a "3/4 race" build - hi-comp piston, 273 cam, coil-spring conversion, porting, lightening / balancing, etc. Going to tackle a majority of the rebuild myself, and as much of the machining as I and a friend can handle. This is my first full motor rebuild, so it'll take a while. Clearly parts aren't cheap, so I'll have to move some other projects for funding.

Planning to build the whole bike as somewhat of a race-replica, but will run it on the street occasionally. I've started collecting bodywork, and will be cleaning up the frame tabs, strengthening, and lightening somewhat.

So, that's where I'm at right now. Collecting parts, saving $$, and researching. Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge on this board, and hoping to contribute along the way.

I also have a 75 860GT project, and a 93 900SS that I actually ride...

Cheers,

Tom

JimF
Site Admin

Re: 250 Monza project

Postby JimF » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 am

Welcome! It was a handsome looking bike before you started and your race replica mock-up looks even better.

It's a shame you didn't get to ride it as you don't know how good of a treat you are in for. It's a good one. Really good.

The bike bore a scrambler tank, but could the frame have been a street frame? I would think that the frame loop over the rear tire on a scrambler frame would be interfering with that seat base unless it was cut out or wasn't there to begin with.

Is the front fender one of the sqaure-type fenders? That front fender, the tank and seat and the frame combination wouldn't have come that way from the factory, but no matter. The important thing is that it's yours now and you can make it as you like it.

Be sure to employ the bridge-type kickstart spring fix if it didn't have that fitted already.

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:45 am

Does it look like the rear frame is bent down in the first picture?

Graeme

hunde

Postby hunde » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:01 am

Thanks Jim!

Well, never having ridden it is more motivation to get it done! I've never ridden a duc single, or any small singles for that matter. Will certainly be a different experience than what I'm used to!

It's definitely a Monza, the PO had the scrambler tank painted. All of the square-ish Monza bodywork is off the bike and needs some work. I'll be selling all of that if anyone is interested.

A few sparkly bits I've been polishing:

I'll check into the kickstart upgrade as well. Been searching for rear-sets that will work with the kickstart lever, and have a few options. If anyone knows of a good solution, I'd love to know.

Final teardown and splitting cases tonight. I'll keep updating this as I (slowly) move along.

Cheers,

Tom

DewCatTea-Bob

Altered 250-Monza Project

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 pm

By: hunde...
" Planning to go with a "3/4 race" build - hi-comp piston, 273 cam, coil-spring conversion, porting, lightening / balancing, etc. "

____ What camshaft exactly, is meant by a "273 cam" ?
__ Also, coil-spring setups along-with excessive port-work can be a touchy combination to get accomplished without any consequence.
Why bother with a coil-spring conversion anyhow ? - What expected advantage would the coil-type valve-springs ACTUALLY provide for you, (aside from helping to make your wallet more manageable) ?

" All of the square-ish Monza bodywork is off the bike
I'll check into the kickstart upgrade as well. "

____ If that type bodywork is actually original to your Monza, then your Duke is no older than a 1966-model,, in which case, it's motor-case will already be updated with the coil-spring*type kick-starter arrangement, (in place of the older leaf-spring setup).
(* I don't know why it seems Jim always refers to the newer ks.setup as "bridge-type", [as if most-everyone would readily realize that the involved coil-spring's retainer-bracket somewhat-vaguely resembles a 'bridge' in APPEARANCE, if not exactly in 'function']. _ Perhaps that particular term was used/printed in some foreign/[non-U.S.] English-worded publication.)

UPDATE: ... Just to make-sure (that all adds-up as had been expected), I later downloaded the picture which shows the exposed left-side motor-casing, so I could then have a better look-see of the area in question... And as it now turns-out, that motor-case obviously appears to be a pre-1966 version (that's merely set-up for the dreaded 'leaf-spring' ks.arrangement) !
So it seems that Tom's Duke-motor is likely not the specific model he had expected, and-so the 1966-type bodywork is no-doubt not original (at least to the specific Duke which the motor originally came from).

Dukaddy-DUKEs,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Thevin

Postby Thevin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Looks good.......

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”