stuck case cover

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

250ish

stuck case cover

Postby 250ish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm trying to remove all the parts from my 250 that were originally polished so I can restore them. The cover that houses the points refuses to come off. After all the case bolts are removed should it just come off or is there something else?

Here's a pic of the cover I'm referring to.

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: stuck case cover

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:19 pm

" After all the case bolts are removed should it just come off or is there something else? "

____ It appears that you have an older motor-model without an auto.advance-unit.
__ Anyhow, the front-cover would be easier to get unstuck, if you first removed the shifter-cover. _ Although the front-cover should slide-off directly OUTward (once it's gasket has been unsealed). _ You may need to use a rubber-mallet to shock the cover loose, but that's best done with the other cover removed out of the way.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:" After all the case bolts are removed should it just come off or is there something else? "

_ Although the front-cover should slide-off directly OUTward (once it's gasket has been unsealed). _ You may need to use a rubber-mallet to shock the cover

make sure you pull the cover straight out as Bob says, or you may damage your gears
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

250ish

Postby 250ish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 am

Thanks for the responses.

I know the other cover is on in the picture but it is just sitting there. When I tried to remove the front cover the rear cover was off. Does the shaft that the points ride on come off with the cover? I already tried hitting the cover a few times with a rubber and plastic mallet. The cover is loose around the bottom but seems to be being held by something near the top.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:01 am

the shaft is part of the gear, nothing will keep it from coming out, it may or may not. try tapping it some more, you could try heating the cover a little where it is stuck
that might release the seal.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

250ish

Postby 250ish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 am

Ok thanks.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:12 am

As you have a threaded opening from the points, maybe a bolt can be found that screws into it, to provide another point near the top, that can carefully and lightly be tapped from behind?

Jordan

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”