PHBH 30 Carb for 350 Narrowcase

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DesmoDog

PHBH 30 Carb for 350 Narrowcase

Postby DesmoDog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

I recently got a couple PHBH carbs off a Guzzi V65 with plans of using one of them on my 350 (and maybe the other on my 250, though the adjustment screws would be on the "wrong" side). I was going to buy a new one, but the new ones have plastic float bowls (eeeeeewwww.... can't have that) and I got both of these for less than one new one. They've got aluminum bowls but plastic tops. No worries there, I've just ordered some aluminum tops from Dellorto Direct. I'll also be converting the choke to a lever rather than a cable, but they didn't have the kit for that so I'll go elsewhere. I've seen them around, but the prices vary quite a bit and I'd like to get it from somewhere that has other things I need so I'm not paying seperate shipping charges on everything.

Anyway, regarding set up. Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start with jetting/slide/needle? I'm thinking the stock V65 settings might not be a bad starting point but if anyone has experience with one of these carbs I'm all ears.

As engine mods go it will have a straight through (glass pack) muffler on it, high compression piston, some sort of hotter cam and I'm leaning towards sending the head out to have it ported. Nothing radical, the bike is intended for street use.

Thanks...

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: PHBH 30 Carb for 350 Narrowcase

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:16 pm

" I recently got a couple PHBH carbs off a Guzzi V65 with plans of using one of them on my 350 (and maybe the other on my 250, "

____ You might not have much problem fitting one of those to a 250 but, I'd like to know how you 'plan' to fit one of those big-top carbs to a 350!? _ And how would you be able to work a (non-cable) choke flip-lever, back in behind there so close to the frame's back-bone? _ Do you have some sort of a fancy manifold?

" some sort of hotter cam and I'm leaning towards sending the head out to have it ported. Nothing radical, the bike is intended for street use. "

___ The stock Monza/Sebring (violet) cam is probably best for "street" riding but, for out-of-town road-riding, nothing beats the (grey) Mach-1 cam!

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

The tank is formed to give a lot of room for a carb, and the manifold will be built to suit, so the carb will go where I put it. If getting to a lever is a problem I can put a cable back on but I'm not too worried. If I can get to the lever on the rear carb on my 750 this one shouldn't be an issue.

FWIW - I'm an exhaust development engineer (OEM automotive systems) with a prototype shop about 100 yards from my office... The manifold isnt' a big concern. 8-)

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:16 pm

DesmoDog wrote:FWIW - I'm an exhaust development engineer (OEM automotive systems) with a prototype shop about 100 yards from my office... The manifold isnt' a big concern. 8-)

Well well - custom mainfolds for all :lol:
1970 450 SCR

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi Craig,

Take a look at the blueprint for speed. It is the background for the Motoscrubs homepage. It gives some suggested starting values for jetting.

Pete

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”