Dellorto SS1 finish/paint/polish

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JBM

Dellorto SS1 finish/paint/polish

Postby JBM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 am

cleaning my SS1 29D resulted in the removal of most of the original finish.
It is now mostly dull zinc ( i think this is cast zinc?)
anyone know what the original finish was?

what fuel resistant options are out there that closely mimics the original color?

my second option is to polish the carb. that might be a lot of time with the dremel, and results might be very short lived. this is a restoration, that will become a regular rider, so although I have no problems with maintaining a polished finish (most of the motor is lightly polished (not the cases)), I dont want to have to continually buff the carb,

opinions?

JimF
Site Admin

Re: Dellorto SS1 finish/paint/polish

Postby JimF » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:21 am

I do know that they were originally painted silver. It's a futile finish in my opinion as fuel spills immediately begin to degrade the paint. I just accept any finish, be it flaking off paint or no paint as "patina." It's tough to keep a Ducati single in showroom new appearance if you plan to ride it.

Jim

JBM

Postby JBM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:23 am

they definitely had a coating on them. there are lots of modern fuel safe 2 part epoxies.
just hoping someone else has already gone down this route and has a method that will look better than dull grey

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 am

JBM wrote:It is now mostly dull zinc ( i think this is cast zinc?)

If it's similar to the stuff Amal used (probably is) for their non-sporty carbs, it's a zinc alloy called Zamac. That stands for zinc, aluminium, magnesium and copper.
Zinc can be chromated for corrosion resistance as well as for looks, but I don't know if it's practical for an old item. Wanna make some enquiries, and let us know? :)

Jordan

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I used Silver fox celulose from a motor accessory shop, Yes it will stain ,but seems to be holding up well.

JBM

Postby JBM » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 am

looks like the VHT engine enamel is fuel safe and has urethane and ceramic.
if it peels off with fuel, it's easy enough to strip it and do it again.
and it comes in a can for some quick work

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/engineenamel/

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:27 am

VHT products in general are ok, but regardless of what they say there products do not hold up well to fuel or any type of solvent...

This is what I use, specifically designed for carbs

http://www.eastwood.com/carb-renew-2-si ... -5-oz.html

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

JBM

Postby JBM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 am

the original dellorto finish is pretty durable. i have LOTS of other dellortos that arent stripped. does anyone know what the original finish was?

Is the color right for the carb renew? it says it's translucent/silver? OEM is pretty much gray. do you use this over a color coat?

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:46 pm

The SSI technical information says the finish on these carbs is "anodic protection against the oxidation and hot spraying painting in silver-grey colour". Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”