Just been given a 450 Silver shotgun...but its yellow

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

joe46ho

Re: Just been given a 450 Silver shotgun...but its yellow

Postby joe46ho » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm

You are right you do have the correct front hub and brakes, my apologies I must have mixed up your pics with those that graeme just posted of the series 2 scrambler that had a modified single sided brake in place of the dual sided grimeca. You really do have all the hard to find stuff then, this shouldnt be too involved putting it back to factory original if thats what you want to do...

cheers, Joe
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:07 am

Swing arm pin/tube/rod thingy is stuck :cry:
The swing arm is very stiff to move but it does move. I have done a search and am thinking threaded rod as a puller with appropriate size socket one end and I might even weld up a bit of pipe with a cap on the end, drill a hole through it for the other side.
Any single gurus have any other suggestions???
Thanks in advance
Damian

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Yes, your idea should work.
Spray liberally with Inox or some good penetrating oil and let it soak for a while.
Sometimes they come out easy, sometimes not.
Are you planning on replacing the bronze bushes too? Don't forget to remove the grease nipples first. (if there are any)
Sometimes pull the pin as far as you can (if it binds up) then clean and spray lube the other side then pull it the other way. (sometimes this works)
No easy way, some are easy and some will fight all the way. Be carefull not to damage the frame or swingarm.

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 am

graeme wrote:Yes, your idea should work.

Are you planning on replacing the bronze bushes too? Don't forget to remove the grease nipples first. (if there are any)

Thanks Graeme
Does this mean i need to remove the nipples before I try to remove the pin or before i replace the bushes??
Cheers
Damain

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:25 am

The grease nipples "can" be prodruding into the bronze bushes. They shouldn't, but I've seen this.
Or if there are any at all they can be in the centre of the swingarm between the bushes so they shouldn't touch the pin.
These bikes are old and have been worked on by lots of different people during their life so you never know who has added grease nipples or where they might, or might not be.
The pin usually presses or pulls out without too much grief.
The 2 bushes are nearly always hard to knock out of the swingarm. But sometimes they do knock out.
Sometimes it's easiest to cut them down one side then they come out easily. A dremmel is good for this.

Do the swing arm pin and bushes need replacing? Does the swingarm have slack?
There can be side shims between the swingarm and the frame to take up the side movement, note which side they come from. New shims are available of different sizes.

If fitting new pin and bushes the bushes will have to be reamed after they are pressed into the swing arm to fit the pin correctly.

Going back together is easy when the bushes have been reamed properly.

graeme

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:09 am

graeme wrote:The 2 bushes are nearly always hard to knock out of the swingarm. But sometimes they do knock out.
Sometimes it's easiest to cut them down one side then they come out easily. A dremmel is good for this.

On widecases, another way to remove a tight bush without splitting it first, is to use a thick flat disc or washer.
About 3mm thick, and OD just small enough to fit loosely in the swingarm tube.
File two parallel flats equally away from the sides of the disc, so that it can be inserted through the bush.
That gives something to punch out against from the inside, using a suitable tool - maybe a worn swingarm spindle.

Jordan

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:01 am

Good news/Bad news
The original side covers were found so yipee
Wifes contract ended at the Uni where she worked so no spare funds for bike rebuilding for a while
Oh well no big deal. I have the frame fully stripped and i wil start tidying up what I can that i dont need to send away to be done. Never meant to be a quick project anyways.
Cheers
Damian

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”