Just been given a 450 Silver shotgun...but its yellow

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

450 shotgun

Just been given a 450 Silver shotgun...but its yellow

Postby 450 shotgun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 am

Hi all
I just arrived home after a bit of a trip up to a farm to pick up these two lovely Ducs
A gift from my inlaws that I am massively grateful for. These bikes have been in the family for years and the gun belonged to my father in law. I have never done a resto on a ducati before so I have lots to learn. First Cab of the rank will be the the 450. Planning on getting it as close to original as possible so I will need to create a shopping list that will include carb, intake stub, side covers, headlight and speedo, tacho and the list goes on....and on....and on! Yes I know the colour is all wrong but that will be one of the last thinngs to be done. Apparently my father in law preferred Ducati yellow so he had it painted in the late 70s. I am expecting a build time of a couple of years to get it right.
Anyway I will be lurking around asking questions and picking brains for the foreseeable future.
First question is where is the best place to look for shotgun parts?
Cheers
Damo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graeme

Re: Just been given a 450 Silver shotgun...but its yellow

Postby graeme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 am

Hello Damo,

Nice project and at the right price too!

Where in the world are you?

You have a few things that aren't correct for a Shotgun, and many more you will find.
These things are a gem once they are sorted properly.
Some of the things you listed are very hard to get for love or money, like a headlight as an example.
I have 2 Shotgun front guards that I'm not using in the near future, pm me. Yours looks like a '73/'74 yellow bike guard.
Gauges, you can get repo white face Veglia tacho's and sometimes the 150 mph speedos come up on ebay (these go in the headlight)
Can you post some better pictures?

Regards
Graeme (Brisbane)

ps welcome and good score.

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Graeme
There are quite a few things i need to get the bike sorted and back to original however i will simply have to be patient, relentless and a little lucky.
I am in SE QLD about 40 mins from you by the looks. Right now i am at the stage of looking and pondering. I have removed the headlight, gauges and anything else that is non standard shotgun. To be honest I am not sure where to start so I think i will ponder a little more.
I was thinking of getting the hubs low pressure wet blasted, polishing the rims myself and sending both off to ASH'S Spoked Wheel services to be put back together. Sand blast the frame and paint it, then move on from there. I will need the forks rechromed and I will polish the lowers myself.

Not sure where to begin with the motor.

Any advice about who to send it too or who to avoid would be appreciated.
Cheers
Damo

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:06 am

Close enough to ring 0422336013.
Don't throw anything away, no matter how wrong or damaged, until your bike is finished.
Ash himself does a good job. Approx $1k for wheels, bearings and SS spokes.
Do as much as you can yourself.
Sandblast,,, be sure that the blaster doesn't blast too hard and takes metal off to.
Suggest soda blasting as it doesn't take metal off. (Not sure if it takes powder coat off)
Do not let a mobile soda blaster do your frame at hour house! Ask me how I know this!!!!
Wet blasting your alloy is the way to go. There is a place on the Sunshine Coast and Wayne at Jimboomba who I will highly recommend !
How much do you want to spend on your engine? Stupid question,,, I'll put that another way,, how anal are you with an engine rebuild?
There are several I will recommend, all good reliable people, but different grades of perfectionists.
Do it yourself, they're not that hard, job bits out you can't do, just be clean and thorough.

Good idea to consider your options first.
Parts will show up, be patient and slowly gather parts.
I have a few mates with guaranteed standard shotguns that I can introduce you to so you can take lots of pictures, or ask them to send pictures to you. They will gladly help.
Moto Giro is at Woodford every year in August, great fun for 3 days, 4 shotguns last year.
There are several places to buy parts depending on what part you need.

Graeme

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

I just recieved this pic of my Father in Law on the bike not too long after he bought it.
Cant wait to get it back to looking something like it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joe46ho

Postby joe46ho » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38 am

You are a lucky guy, The Silver Shotgun is my favorite widecase single... I was trying to build a replica, but ran into a wall trying to find front end parts... You have most of the hard to get parts already, except for the 2ls dual sided grimeca front hub and matching brake plates, those are hard to find and pricey. If you can find the hub, I know a guy that did have some n.o.s. take off brake plates that where swapped out for the 4ls conversion from discovolante, This was quite a present for you to get from your father in law, if you post some more pics everyone on here can offer more insight.

Here are some links to a few good pictures if you havent searched yet
Some are from Phil Aynsley and some are from various guys on the site here

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... m=52&pos=0

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=715

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=901

http://www.motoscrubs.com/Duc_Images/DE ... 20GREY.jpg

http://www.philaphoto.com/imageLibrary/ ... ?album=983

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/duca ... _PA100.htm

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/duca ... _PA101.htm

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/duca ... _PA104.htm

http://cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/duca ... _PA105.htm
Too many projects to list...
12 Ducati singles currently

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:22 am

It already has the dual sided grimeca front hub unless I am missing something. The only thing my father in law changed was the headlight and gauges and some electrics. Apart from that it is standard but missing side covers, original front guard and it was repainted yellow.
Cheers
Damo

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 am

I can donate a front guard to a worthy cause :)

450 shotgun

Postby 450 shotgun » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:53 am

graeme wrote:I can donate a front guard to a worthy cause :)

You are a champion Graeme! I will take you up on that offer soon.
I am really pleased we found the pic of the bike in its original condition. I sent the details off to Robert Miller and he said the frame and engine number places it at bout 1972.
I am really looking forward to the school holidays so i can do a bit of work on it.
Got to get report cards done first :cry:
Cheers
Damian

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:09 am

You've been given 2 great bikes,,, give them all an A and spread the love!
Then get stuck into your Shotgun!

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”