monza jr oil pump

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

10gener

monza jr oil pump

Postby 10gener » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm

dear sirs;i'm trying to rebuild a 65 monza jr engine,the tip of my oil pump is worn on the sides,maybe due to uneven fit to the pump gear,what would you suggest to make it a perfect fit to the gear,also is it possible to increase the oil pump output and how,what SAE no would you recommend to use on the engine.thanks and regards gener (philippines)

Eldert

Re: monza jr oil pump

Postby Eldert » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Gener

the smaller Ducatis had oilpump gears that where 6 mm wide . the bigger singles had pumps with 9 mm wide gears .

if you want to increase the pumps output just fit the pumphousing and pumpgears from a single from 250 and up

the only thing is where do you find one thats in good condition

Eldert

Harvey

Postby Harvey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 pm

I ended up using a Epichordal pump on a 450 with success.

Harvey.

10gener

Postby 10gener » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 am

sir elder,thanks for your reply,you're right the problem is where to get the 250 oil pump,i'm thinking of using an auxiliary pump(electric,hooked up to the battery)and to connect some fittings to the camshaft rear end bearing casing and do some conversions(fittings) to the dipstick screw of the sump,do you think it will work,could you comment on this. thanks and regards gener
(by the way,sir harvey, what is an ephicordial pump)

graeme

Postby graeme » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:42 am

Hello gener
eBay often has pump case complete for sale or auction, not too expensive usually.
Still a gamble that the pump is good though.
I guess you could ask the seller if they would take good pictures of the pump for you.
My 2 cents, don't know if I would use an electric oil pump.
Nothing wrong with the original wide case pump for road use.
There are aftermarket pumps available but 160 euro each.
Regards
Graeme

gregwils

Postby gregwils » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm just reviving a thread from last year. I didn't see this when it was first posted and was intrigued by the idea of swapping the oil pump in my 160 for that of a larger single. I have two follow-up questions. How do you evaluate a pump to determine it is good? I assume lateral and rotational play within spec. Where would I find the specs?

Ok, I lied. Three questions. Can these be rebuilt? I can understand that there isn't a rebuild kit, just wondering if someone has restored an oil pump. Thanks.
Greg W
1965 Ducati Monza
1966 Ducati Monza (Project)
1966 Ducati Monza Jr
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera
Pittsburgh, PA USA

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:43 pm

The main problem with the oil pumps is that the bore that the gears run in becomes scored , ruining the pump body. Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”