68' Twin filler Tank restoration help

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

john jupiter

68' Twin filler Tank restoration help

Postby john jupiter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here has had any luck with getting paint to stick to Chrome. If so what paint was used?
Also wondering if anyone had paint codes and maybe a suggestion for a painter in the USA. The tank has been stripped and has no pattern so it will be a best guess on where the outline goes.
Also have a 750 GT tank in the same condition if anyone has had good results using a painter who knows the colors or patterns.
Thanks
John
Last edited by john jupiter on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970 450 Jupiter

ecurbruce

Re: 68' Twin filler Tank restoration help

Postby ecurbruce » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:57 pm

John,
Chrome needs to be bead blasted and etch primed for paint to adhere properly.
Tape off the chrome part not to be painted with duct tape and blast everything that gets paint.
Blast at an angle away from edge of tape, so the blasting process doesn't try to lift tape edge.
Epoxy primer may work best over bare sanded chrome.

Bruce.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:06 pm

i am getting ready to paint a chrome scrambler tank, i was planning on following the directions from this link
http://www.ripper1.com/tech/paint_over_chrome.php
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

DanM

Postby DanM » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 pm

I've been successful with bead blasting the old chrome, rough up the old chrome with 36 grit, self etching primer, filler primer, sand, then paint. All sanding should be done by hand, not by power tools.

machten

Postby machten » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:05 am

John,

this might give you some guidance on the outline position. If you save the picture, you can magnify it a bit. Whilst both these twin fillers have been repainted (and mine in totally the wrong colour - but I like it better than the factory colour and ain't changing it), the outline shape of the chrome is consistent.

EDIT: I've noticed that a fairly low res photo - i trim them down for forum posting. If you want the high res one or some other some close ups, PM me and I'll take them and email them to you.

Kev

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 am

Beautiful !
Only Italy would design a bike like that

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:32 am

Kev, those are some beautiful bikes! The darmah is growing on me too. Ive got the entire bike stripped and the tank sent to the chromer. When it comes back im just going to pick a nice deep red and follow your tank as best i can. Mine is a 350 and im wondering if any had red frames?( my frame was already in primer.. I love the red frame versions i see on the net..
1970 450 Jupiter

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:38 pm

As I understand it, the non-Desmo twin filler Mark 3's originally had red frames and the Desmos had black frames.
The Mark 3's also had silver painted mudguards and headlamp shell, together with silver painted panels on the tank, whereas the Desmos were chrome.
I did my twin-filler mark 3 250 like that as the was no evidence of the tank ever having been chromed.

Jon

john jupiter

Postby john jupiter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:50 pm

That is interesting info. What to do... Mine is a desmo, chrome tank, chrome fenders.... But i love the red frame..
1970 450 Jupiter

machten

Postby machten » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 am

Hi John,

Sorry I'm late posting on this, I've been away doing a street hill climb event 600km away with the 250 M3D for a few days.

My understanding is the same as Jon's - that the desmo had the black frame and the springer the red...also with his other comments regarding differences. I agree with you regarding the red frame. I've always wondered why Ducati made the revolutionary (at the time) desmo's the more sedate black and the springers a brilliant Italian red. I too much prefer that flamboyant red!

Here however is some information that may make you feel more comfortable using red. I can't comment on the veracity of this, that's up to anyone to decide for themselves. As I said before, my tank and side cover are painted the wrong colour red, but I like it better, so I'm keeping it that way. (That's nailed my colours to the mast!)

http://www.webgrafex.com/roundcase/ducati/1968%20Ducati%20350%20Desmo%20Twin%20Filller.html

At the end of the day, I think you should do what presses your buttons, but keep it such that it can be put to original (whatever that is) later.

Kev

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”