Amal Concentric Mk2 R2934/3

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

lloydy1

Amal Concentric Mk2 R2934/3

Postby lloydy1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:38 am

Has anyone had any experiance with setting up the Amal Mk2 concentric carb?

I am running one on my 1968 350cc and she is running very rich.

I have spoken to Amal and because they have no tech for the Ducati on the system they are unable to advise on the correct jetting/set up.

My question is, has anyone had any experiance with setting up one of these carbs with the right jetting etc? and if so can you please point me in the right dirrection.

I have dropped the needle as low as possible.

The little bike passed the MOT yesterday, so just need to fettal her a little so she can run sweet.

Thanks Dave

Eldert

Re: Amal Concentric Mk2 R2934/3

Postby Eldert » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Hi Dave

it been a long time that i had a Amal Mk 2 on my Ducati but if memory serves my right it had a 2A1 needle and a 106 needlejet

Eldert

lloydy1

Postby lloydy1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Eldert wrote:Hi Dave

it been a long time that i had a Amal Mk 2 on my Ducati but if memory serves my right it had a 2A1 needle and a 106 needlejet

Eldert

Hi Eldert

I have a 2A1 needle but a 260 needle jet which are fitted at the moment. do you think I should change the jet to the 106, which I presume would be smaller. These were fitted to the carb when I got it.

Thanks, Dave

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Dave

the needlejet is the part the needle moves up en down in . the biggest ones available are a 120 and a 125 and these are for
bikes running on methanol .
the 260 you mention is the main jet . and a 260 is pretty big i believe

Eldert

lloydy1

Postby lloydy1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Eldert wrote:Hi Dave

the needlejet is the part the needle moves up en down in . the biggest ones available are a 120 and a 125 and these are for
bikes running on methanol .
the 260 you mention is the main jet . and a 260 is pretty big i believe

Eldert

Hi Eldert,

Right okay, I will have to strip the carb down and get at the needlejet to confirm the size I have. With your comment on the main jet, should I look to getting a smaller one?

Cheers, Dave

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:51 am

By: lloydy1...
Amal Mk2 concentric carb
I am running one on my 1968 350cc "

____ How about posting a picture of that carb mounted on your Duke ?

" I have spoken to Amal and because they have no tech for the Ducati on the system they are unable to advise on the correct jetting/set up. "

____ It seems lame that they didn't have anyone who could at least get you in the ballpark-range.

" My question is, has anyone had any experiance with setting up one of these carbs with the right jetting etc? and if so can you please point me in the right dirrection. "

____ Since they/Amal were clueless concerning Ducati, then instead tell them you want the same jetting as is used for a BSA-441 (which will be fairly close enough), or for a Honda XL350, (or most any other 350 to 450cc 4-stroke single), or for a 650/750 Triumph-twin.
Then your Amal's jetting will be in the ball-park about as close as is possible without being specifically tuned to work as best as possible with whatever muffler you choose to run with. - (In other words, you won't have to further fine-tune your jetting any closer until after you've installed a specific exhaust-system.)

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

graeme

Postby graeme » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:01 am

Dave,
I own a Commando, the Amals were worn out at 12k miles. I wasn't going to waste money on buying a new pair for them to wear out in another 12k miles so I fitted a Mikuni.
I recieved a lot of good advice from the site access norton.
From that site is lots of good advice regarding Amal carbs, eg http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html
Here is a link to the site where if you have lots of time you will find what you need to know. http://www.accessnorton.com/

There is a section for "Other Clasic Motorcycles" where you can ask your questions re Ducati 350 and Amals.

a 750 Commando is about the same cc as a 350 Ducati, might be a good starting point for you?

Or fit a Dell Orto or Mikuni ??

Graeme

lloydy1

Postby lloydy1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:30 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ How about posting a picture of that carb mounted on your Duke ?

Hi Bob, I have posted a picture of the carb fitted.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ It seems lame that they didn't have anyone who could at least get you in the ballpark-range.

To be honest they were not a lot of help.

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ Since they/Amal were clueless concerning Ducati, then instead tell them you want the same jetting as is used for a BSA-441 (which will be fairly close enough), or for a Honda XL350, (or most any other 350 to 450cc 4-stroke single), or for a 650/750 Triumph-twin.

I will give them another call with your info and see what they come up with. Thanks, Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lloydy1

Postby lloydy1 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks guys for the guidance, I will look at the advice given and see what I can sort. Dave

ducwiz

Postby ducwiz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:14 am

Hi,

some of the early 750GT twins had been equipped with AMALs. Their setting should also be a good starting point:
http://ducatimeccanica.com/750gt_manual/pg-16.html

Hans

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”