New Wiring Harness Design

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

Re: New Wiring Harness Design

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 am

Dang dang dang.

The intake manifold and cone filter I was going to use will not work. The intake manifold does not move the carb over enough and the filter hits the bracing on the frame. It also means that the flip up choke will not fit - it hits the bracing on the center tube.

Looks like I will use the stock filter box and hose. I will also have to use the cable operated choke. So if I am using the stock filter box, it defeats the whole open frame look and no reason to not run a battery.

Back to the drawing board.
1970 450 SCR

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:18 am

Make a new manifold...

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:28 am

" The intake manifold and cone filter I was going to use will not work. The intake manifold does not move the carb over enough and the filter hits the bracing on the frame. "

____ This is a well known issue for those of us who have owned non-450R/T 450s since 1969!
There are various get-around-fixes for the situation.
__ Exactly which manifold and what carb were you intending to use?

Hopeful-Tears,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:25 pm

DesmoDog wrote:Make a new manifold...

wish I could but my fabrication/welding skills are not up to that.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:30 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:____ This is a well known issue for those of us who have owned non-450R/T 450s since 1969!
There are various get-around-fixes for the situation.
__ Exactly which manifold and what carb were you intending to use?

I am using the stock 29MM VHB carb. The stock intake manifold directs the velocity stack right at one of the vertical frame tubes. The bracing on the side of the tube is what hits the filter.

This is the filter:

http://guzzino.com/airfikissi27.html

Its just a bit too long.

The "correct" intake would have the stock bend from horizontal but also have a bend to the side to move the carb out a bit.
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:09 pm

To be honest, I am considering scrappin the whole coverting to 12v thing. Just put the harness back in the bike and run it.

I already missed last summer fussin around with it.
1970 450 SCR

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi,
New here, doing a 450 R/T project. Planned on introducing myself first and would normally start a new thread for this but since the subject has been brought up here...

What is up with the intake manifold on the R/T?

<Edit> This topic has been moved to it's own thread.
Last edited by wcorey on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm

" I am using the stock 29MM VHB carb. The stock intake manifold directs the velocity stack right at one of the vertical frame tubes. The bracing on the side of the tube is what hits the filter. "

____ The flat-sections of added frame-bracing on 450s have always caused various upsetting issues for anyone trying to make a change to the stock 450 carb set-up! _ With one notable exception being the easy installation of an Amal-carb (from a Brit-bike).
I've never tried any carb/intake changes to any 450 while still retaining the undersized-29mm stock-carb! _ But I've solved some various-combo fitment issues while retaining the use of the 'square-slide' carb on other models, by simply turning the intake-manifold over (180-degrees), & remounting it up-side-down. _ That put the carb at a rad.angle but, it looked cool and still worked okay (with a n-c Mark3-tank) ! _ I don't know if that change will work on your 450 but, you should try it before cutting-away any of the frame-bracing (as others have done) !
Also, I think your 450-manifold has more of a bend than the 250/350-manifold, so you may find that a manifold from another model, like the one used on the 450R/T would work better for you. _ The R/T-manifold redirects the carb's intake in-ward, (thus such an add-on air-filter's rear-end would be about where the battery would be).
__ You could also consider using a piece of a rubber radiator-hosing clamped to the intake of the carb (in place of the filter), so as to redirect & extend the filter-unit to another location.
__ I have no doubt that someONE else has already dealt with your exact-same problem and found some cool/unique fix for it (without cutting any of the bracing) ! _ Hopefully that person will soon share their special-work with you!

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:31 pm

I have not seen a R/T manifold. Anyone got one they can post a pic of?
1970 450 SCR

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:46 pm

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I have no doubt that someONE else has already dealt with your exact-same problem and found some cool/unique fix for it (without cutting any of the bracing) ! _ Hopefully that person will soon share their special-work with you!

That is one of the reasons I was curious about this bike that I posted in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80

It appears to be a 450 braced frame, has a squareside carb and a cone filter. Basically the setup I was looking for.
1970 450 SCR

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”