New Wiring Harness Design

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Teckhardt

New Wiring Harness Design

Postby Teckhardt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I know just enough about wiring to get myself in trouble. Is there anyone that would be willing to help me design a new wiring harness for my bike?

I have a few strange things I am doing (want to do) and need someone that can guide me.

If anyone is available, please PM me with an email address and I will begin the process via email.

Thanks
1970 450 SCR

JimF
Site Admin

Re: New Wiring Harness Design

Postby JimF » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:49 am

I used to make and sell some for the narrowcase. I also made my own for the widecase that Dan eventually bought.

I can walk you through it, and might make a webpage out of the thing to help others in the future.

Let me know if you want me to work with you.

Jim Franzen

wildair

Postby wildair » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:11 am

~Hey, I just ordered the harness on the italian ebay. There is a guy there that sells of couple of different types (without the connectors). I guess you could duplicate his if his prototype works for you.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 am

Jim, I will PM you about it. Basically an ignition with just enough to run some lights to be legal.

An off the shelf harness would just be a waste and I don't want to cut up my stock harness in case I ever decide to go back to stock setup.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

" Is there anyone that would be willing to help me design a new wiring harness for my bike?
I have a few strange things I am doing (want to do) and need someone that can guide me. "

____ No doubt Jim & others here could help you with stock-wiring type set-ups but, I doubt that you could ever find anyone who has more good-sense about REwiring most any DUKE-model, than myself ! _ As I've done very many NON-stock type rewiring-jobs on almost every pre-1978 DUCATI-model ever made. _ And not only do I have such experience with DUKEs, I also know quite well about all aspects of general wiring. _ (I've never done any of the crappy rewiring that many of us have chanced-upon, done by owners who either didn't know exactly what they were doing and/or didn't much care!!)
__ But there's no need to put all your trust into just one of us... I suggest that you get your start-off plans from Jim (or whoever), and then post your intended plans and wait for my input, (or vice-versa), before doing any actual wiring-work.
Please tell us which model you wish to rewire and what switches & parts you wish to use for the job. _ Also, do you have or can you get a selection of colored wire? - (Such as red, black, & white, etc.)
Whether you prefer to keep things as simple as possible, or rewire as complexly as I would do for myself,, I will glady show you the way!

Fun-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:29 pm

Thanks Bob - I was hoping you would chime in as well. I am drawing up a wiring diagram and will get Jim's input on it - then I will pass it by you as well. It is going to be very minimal.

This is all for my 450 SCR. The "idea" I have for my bike is a little bit cafe but w/o permantly altering anything. That way I can always put it back to stock when/if I ever want to. For any parts that do need to get modified, I am getting spares off Ebay and modding those.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:24 pm

" The "idea" I have for my bike is a little bit cafe but w/o permantly altering anything. That way I can always put it back to stock when/if I ever want to. For any parts that do need to get modified, I am getting spares off Ebay and modding those. "

____I don't see where anything needs to get "modified"... What do you think might need to be?
Do you intend to use the stock rectifier-box, or stock headlamp & switches, etc.?

Tillater,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:09 am

DewCatTea-Bob wrote:I don't see where anything needs to get "modified"... What do you think might need to be?
Do you intend to use the stock rectifier-box, or stock headlamp & switches, etc.?

I meant in general as far as mods. Handlebars, levers, seat, brakes whatever.

Only part I am "modding" electrical wise is that I am using an older style of headlamp shell that has the speedo hole in it vs having the speedo in a cup off the top triple.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:40 am

" I meant in general as far as mods. Handlebars, levers, seat, brakes whatever. "

____ Okay then, I had assumed that you were referring only to electrical-system parts.

" Only part I am "modding" electrical wise is that I am using an older style of headlamp shell "

____ Is that headlamp also a wide-case model-type part too? _ Or is it from a narrow-case model?
The wide-case shell-buckets have an added hole in their left-side for a regular-type key-switch -(for ign.system). _ Let us know if you'll be using that stock 3-terminal key-switch.)

Tillater,
-Bob

Desmoto-M.3

Postby Desmoto-M.3 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:06 am

I have been watching this new thread and also noticed that Techardt has placed newer posts, so either he has somehow overlooked Bob's question or hasn't received the headlamp shell he found on ebay yet.
I hope he does soon, because I'm sure that I'm not the only one who would like to see this thread progress forthward.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”