New Wiring Harness Design

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: New Wiring Harness Design

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 pm

By 'wcorey' : ...
" I have sooo many questions, guess I'll cut it off here and see what comes out of it, I already feel bad for being so far off topic for this thread... "

_____ Bill, you have brought-up a very-highly interesting topic (in this thread) which most definately deserves it's very-own TOPIC-Thread! ...
Here's what I highly-suggest you do... all of the following:
_ that you save your posting here, (hi-lite & drag) to WordPad;
_ then 'edit' your current post, so as to shorten-it-down to only cover just whatever you've written here concerning the 450s & their manifolds;
_ then please create a New-TOPIC on the 'TOPIC'-Page, and title it "Cyl.Head Intake-Porting" (or the like, as you prefer);
_ then copy -(drag) all of your posting which you have saved to WordPad, over to your new TOPIC-thread's open-page, (re-edit as you see fit) and 'submit' it.
_(If all this is too much for you, then please give me your permission to do what I can, for you,, as I'd be happy to be of assistance!)
___ I feel that it's really worth it to do all that I've suggested above because, then this very worthy intake-port TOPIC will more easily be found & then get the full attention which it most certainly deserves (from now on-ward)!!
Then I expect (& hope) that TOP-members (like 'Eldert'), will add their 2-cents-worth on the subject/TOPIC.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 am

then 'edit' your current post, so as to shorten-it-down to only cover just whatever you've written here concerning the 450s & their manifolds

Of course this makes sense, will do shortly.
Was only going to ask about the manifold as it was already a topic, then got off to rambling...

It appears to be a 450 braced frame, has a squareside carb and a cone filter. Basically the setup I was looking for.

<Edit> The R/T manifold points the carby in toward the center, not out like the picture. That looks almost like the position a 180 degree flipped R/T unit would provide, but it would be pointing up more, a lot more. I also see something shiny like maybe a hose clamp where there wouldn't need to be one if it was that manifold. Could be a hose modification as Bob mentioned in his post, the nice thing there is that you can find curved pieces to get many placement options while still maintaining a smooth radius. Even if it worked, I would hesitate to use the R/T one if an alternative is available to you for the reasons stated in my last post.

I have not seen a R/T manifold. Anyone got one they can post a pic of?

I'll snap a couple as it's off the bike anyway...

wcorey

Postby wcorey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:11 am

To continue with my string of off topic posts...

I have not seen a R/T manifold. Anyone got one they can post a pic of?

Manifold from 450 R/T

Difficult to get perspective of the inside but it isn't blended at all and has prominent casting seams. Follows the same angular path as the external proportions but looks even worse due to the smaller diameter. The gasket is hard and about 5mm thick, it fits around a lip/spigot on the manifold in such a way as to suggest that it used to be compliant and function as a vibration damper. It probably used to be rubbery and has hardened up with age. The mounting studs also look longer than they need to be, I'm wondering if there were originally some rubber washers between the nuts and manifold.

Hard to see the manifold with the frame in front of it but this but shows the orientation of the carb on the motor.

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 am

wcorey wrote:
Manifold from 450 R/T

Difficult to get perspective of the inside but it isn't blended at all and has prominent casting seams. Follows the same angular path as the external proportions but looks even worse due to the smaller diameter. The gasket is hard and about 5mm thick, it fits around a lip/spigot on the manifold in such a way as to suggest that it used to be compliant and function as a vibration damper. It probably used to be rubbery and has hardened up with age. The mounting studs also look longer than they need to be, I'm wondering if there were originally some rubber washers between the nuts and manifold.

Hard to see the manifold with the frame in front of it but this but shows the orientation of the carb on the motor.

Interesting, I see what you mean about flipping it over. It would point the carb at the sky.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:47 am

By 'wcorey' : ...
" Was only going to ask about the manifold as it was already a topic, then got off to rambling... "

____ Yeah, that's a common occurrance that's apt to happen. _ And if that which you had side-tracked onto was merely a bit of unimportant "rambling", then I would not have bothered to suggest that it be 'moved' to it's very-own thread!
Aside from the sensable "sense" of providing a dedicated thread to handle your worthy and tangable side-track (which had in turn developed from another UNtangable side-track posting), the only reason for the extra trouble of "moving" (as opposed to just coping) it, is because, (last I checked), there's a rule (at this w.site) against double-posting the same post in more than one thread.

" Even if it worked, I would hesitate to use the R/T one if an alternative is available to you for the reasons stated in my last post. "
" Difficult to get perspective of the inside but it isn't blended at all and has prominent casting seams. "

____ It's my opinion that anyone who retains the use of the stock under-sized 29mm carb on their 450, should not really care at all about any such minor imperfections within the intake-tract.
I do agree that it's 'nice' to have every little imperfection along the air-flow's path, all straightened-out but, is that really worth the possible 1/8th-horsepower* gain which ought to result?
[ Note* - Just a guesstimate.]
__ Let me suggest that you two 450-DUKErs swap intake-manifolds, (at least for a 10-day trail).

" The gasket is hard and about 5mm thick, it fits around a lip/spigot on the manifold in such a way as to suggest that it used to be compliant and function as a vibration damper. It probably used to be rubbery and has hardened up with age. "

____ Yeah, the stock rubber manifold-gasket was a pliable rubber (not real soft & about 8mm thick), used just for sealing & perhaps some heat isolation.

" I'm wondering if there were originally some rubber washers between the nuts and manifold "

____ No! ... The tuff rubber-manifold was not really intended as a "vibration damper" .

Good-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:13 am

" It would point the carb at the sky. "

____ Actually, that manifold mounted up-side-down would not tilt the inlet-tract of it's carb at such a near 75-degree angle... it's more like just 40-degrees upward.
__ A favorite set-up that I used to like doing on 350s, was take a 30mm-VHB from a 1973/74 Harley-Sprint, (ever seen how they're mounted on one of them?), and mount it on a flipped-around R/T-manifold.
I very much liked the unique & rad-look and how the top of the carb then faced it's cables toward the correct direction, all so neatly! (Never used a big air-filter though, [just a screen].)

Cool-Cheers,
-Bob

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:36 am

____ Since there will likely be those who wish to scheme-out wiring-pathways for their rewiring-project on their DUKE, I thought I'd make available a block-diagram which may be used to get going on a plan. _ Cuz I realize that it can be uneasy to get started on a wiring scheme-diagram plan when ya first have to draw-up a set of outlines before getting underway with your wiring-plan.
__ This starter-diagram (added below) which I've planned-out, hopefully ought to help guide others so that anybody's drawn scheme won't be so completely different from everyone else's, (cuz it can be too disconcerting to swtich from one person's lay-out plan to another's, when nobody starts-out with a common lay-out!).
While I tried to keep everything layed-out logically as seen from overhead (of a DUKE), unfortunately I had to compress things so as to get everything to fit within the lines of a normally sized pic.
__ Ya can download/save & print-out, to then hand-draw your add-ons,, or use your PC's 'Imaging'-program to modify as you wish!
__ If there's ever any real interest in what I've presented here, then I will then draw-up a better version, and then give it it's own thread (for all others to post on as well).

DUCATIly,
-Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”