Front wheel off set

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

lloydy1

Re: Front wheel off set

Postby lloydy1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:45 am

Eldert wrote:no not between the fork lower and the brakeplate but inside between the hub and the plate

Eldert

This worked a treat. The brake plate is perfectly in line with the hub also, as before it was inset slightly. :D cheers Eldert.

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:18 pm

I am getting ready to rebuild the wheels on my 66 250 scrambler. before I took the front wheel off I measured the front rim to see if it was centered between the forks and it was. Before i took the front wheel apart I measured to see if the front rim was offset to the hub, and it was. The hub was offset 6mm closer to the rim on the brake side of the wheel. The last set of wheels I built for my 450 jupiter I built without any offset, because I searched for information and it seemed that most people said there should be no offset. When I installed the front wheel on my Jupiter I had to install a spacer between the brake plate and the hub on the inside, as Eldert suggested, to center the wheel and have the lug on the fork to fully engage the brake plate.

In searching this forum I didn't feel like there was a definate answer given as to if the front wheel should be offset or not. from what I have seen there seems to be good reason to have an offset, does anyone have any opinions or other information about this?

thanks
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Ideally, the rim should be centered in the forks such that the centerline of the rim is in line with the centerline of the steering stem. If one understands how a motorcycle turns, a turn is initiated with steering inputs that effectively change the offset of the front wheel in relation to the steering stem. If the contact patch of the tire is offset to the right, the motorcycle turns to the left (and vice-versa). This is known as the countersteering effect. So, if a wheel isn’t in line with the steering stem, the motorcycle will tend to turn in the opposite direction of the offset while traveling in a straight line. However, 2.5mm offset is really splitting hairs and with the damping effect of the tire will probably go unnoticed in terms of straight line stability. Matt

amartina75

Postby amartina75 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

thanks, i think you misunderstood what i was asking about. i am talking about the hub being offset to the rim, the wheel is still centered in between the forks.
1966 250 Scrambler
1970 450 Jupiter

double diamond

Postby double diamond » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:06 am

You stated " In searching this forum I didn't feel like there was a definate answer given as to if the front wheel should be offset or not. from what I have seen there seems to be good reason to have an offset, does anyone have any opinions or other information about this?" I'm answering, yes, there is very good reason for offset (a definite answer!) and my opinion as to why. Are you asking "how much offset should my '66 Scrambler have?". If you want the last word on Ducati wheel building, talk with Chris Quinn at Wheelworks (510) 785-4396. After building hundreds of Ducati wheels, I expect he knows exactly what offset should be. Matt

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”