help identifying a bike that is being purchased

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DesmoDog

Re: help identifying a bike that is being purchased

Postby DesmoDog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Yeah, I remember the days of building a bike in my apartment, but I lived on the first floor!

Note the wheel by the wall to the left of the bike. It's from an RD350 racebike I was building in my "dining room", just out of the shot.

The pizza delivery guy liked the 907! I told him it wasn't a bike, it was furniture, as a motorycle in my apartment would violate my lease agreement. :D

SubaruPaul

Postby SubaruPaul » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:22 pm

Was that delivered by Mr. Haney from Green Acres? :lol:

Well,glad you got the bike and best of luck. I'm on the 9th floor,but have storage elsewhere at ground level. Costly but effective.

Taking the "before" pics?

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:00 am

well maybe good news maybe bad.

Looks like the bevel drive tube has a crack in the bottom. Someone stated it might be from falling over but I am starting to think atleast what I can see is that the bottom of the shaft is in two pieces.. maybe one meshes with the other but it is definetly off kilter and to the side.

Looks like the screws are mostly stripped in the bevel gear area so hopefully from the looks of it i will have room to rethread them. I didnt get the motor out but looking at the valve cover area I noticed two philip screws, one on each side.. praying there isnt much of an issue there.

Found another bike in nc (6hour drive) for 800 with tank and everything and it kicks over.. no clue on the current bike but something tells me there is more to this moto than just the rats nest that i found in the tire. or another one for 1200 about an hour away in almost running condition...bad luck is telling me I need a second bike.. but the back and the 3 flights of stairs might start to disagree...

interesting to note that you cant have a motorcycle in your apt.. i guess i will just keep this quiet

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 am

From the sound of it, you may be better finding something else that is closer to running condition. Can always save this one for parts.
1970 450 SCR

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

yeah I am starting to wonder myself. I was considering contacting syds or a rebuilder someone could recommend and just have it done and over.. but not sure on prices.. i would expect around the 1k ball park. i guess its the risk for something site unseen at 250 dollars.. cant complain to badly..

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 am

the seller said some guy offered him 200 alone just for the wheel hubs.. looking at them is it normal for them to appear to have fake vents that appear to be blocked off?

i guess the question is not knowing how great these parts are is exactly how hard would it be to pull the good scrambler motor parts and put them on a monza? I am eyeing that one in daytona.

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am

it looks like the shaft is two pieces however one has to wonder how they would seperate... unless the head was pulled athis just wasnt lined up correctly... puzzled

Teckhardt

Postby Teckhardt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:41 am

miken5678 wrote: looking at them is it normal for them to appear to have fake vents that appear to be blocked off?

Yup. The brake plates have fake vents on them.
1970 450 SCR

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 am

" Looks like the bevel drive tube has a crack in the bottom. Someone stated it might be from falling over "

____ At first, I figured that you HAD to be referring to the 'towershaft-housing' "tube" (part #310) !

" but I am starting to think atleast what I can see is that the bottom of the shaft is in two pieces.. maybe one meshes with the other but it is definetly off kilter and to the side. "
" it looks like the shaft is two pieces however one has to wonder how they would seperate... unless the head was pulled athis just wasnt lined up correctly... puzzled "

____ It really seems that you're gonna need lots of help with your DUKE-project...
Thanks for posting the related parts diagram, as that now makes it much easier for me to explain that you must need part #173 -(which is often lost from deals like this!). -
No doubt somebody pulled the head and lost that connector-sleeve, (which holds the upper-towershaft to the lower-shaft!) .

" Looks like the screws are mostly stripped in the bevel gear area so hopefully from the looks of it i will have room to rethread them. I didnt get the motor out but looking at the valve cover area I noticed two philip screws, one on each side.. "

____ How about some pix of those concerns?

" the wheel hubs.. looking at them is it normal for them to appear to have fake vents that appear to be blocked off? "

____ Those fake air-scoop vents (which came-out along with the then new 5-speeders), were simply a (dead-weight) sales-gimick -(along with the optimistic speedo-dials), to hopefully FOOL all the cycle-newbies of the day -(back then in late '63) !

" interesting to note that you cant have a motorcycle in your apt.. i guess i will just keep this quiet "

____ I believe the main issue with that is the gas-tanks! _ So, no tank, then no real problem.

DUKE-Cheers,
DCT-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 am

I will have to get the camera working and get a shot of the hole in the tube. Its right at the bottom where you can see the shaft is in two pieces which I new see it looks like it should contain a sleeve to go around it. In reference to the stripped bolts, its just on the bevel cover.. i assume from looking at it that tapping it out to the next size would work.. as there really arent any threads in the holes. On another note Looking at the bevel gears in the top end the washer is bent forward and the flat slot looks like its been messed with so either the washer is bent forward to lock the nut in place or this one has been opened up.. looking at the rest of the motor case there arent any pry marks our gouges so atleast the bottom end looks ok.. <crosses fingers>

At this point with a decent frame and hubs it might be better to source a working or decent shape motor and have it rebuilt vs working on this one.. maybe/hopefully its all top end related.

Seeing that the shipping company somehow got the timing cover/oil pump cover on the other truck I am out of luck in that area unless by a miracle they come through.

Is it even worth it to go in and open up the fake slots in the hub?

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”