help identifying a bike that is being purchased

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

miken5678

help identifying a bike that is being purchased

Postby miken5678 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:06 pm

making a purchase just wanted help in identifying this bike. It doesnt have the scrambler upward facing rear bar. Figued it would a scrambler without the headlight but it is a 250... possibly a sebring/diana? any help is appreciated.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miken5678

Re: help identifying a bike that is being purchased

Postby miken5678 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:07 pm

sorry if it sounds silly for asking but this is an out of state purchase w no title as it was in the basement of someones house when it was sold. I think a bill of sale might work for a title in fl however we shall see. Going through uship for bids right now but if anyone has advice let me know..

mike

DesmoDog

Postby DesmoDog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Square fender 250, makes it a 66 or later. Certainly not a Diana if that's the original fender and IIRC all the Sebring's were 350s. So, if I were a betting man I'd say what you've found is a garden variety 1966 250 Monza. Or the remains of one anyway.

I'm not sure what shipping will cost but you must really want a project if you're considering shipping that one very far... if it's not really cheap (a couple hundred bucks tops) I can't see it being worth the effort? Granted I might be out of touch with what narrowcase bikes are selling for these days but nothing I see indicates that one is anything special.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi Mike,

I like that it is a narrowcase bike, and it is the "street" framed version.

You can easily turn this into a cafe bike if you want as almost all fenders, tanks and tinware from the years preceding the the "square" style body parts will fit the frame perfectly.

If you don't want to spend money on original steel bodywork there are plenty of fiberglass repros out there. This bike could easily be made to look like the green narrowcase that leads off the photo section on this website.

Lot's of promise with this bike!

Jim

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 am

Hi Mike,

This looks like the bike that was for sale in Red Creek. That is about 25 miles from here. If there is something I can do to help from this end, let me know. In NY prior to 1973, there are no titles, only transferable registrations. I suppose I could check with DMV if you give me the VIN. Good luck with your project.

Pete

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 am

the photo is what I would like to emulate.. so hopefully this proves to be a good starting point in terms of not having to chop a good bike.

the only issues on a couple other photos is a hole in the bottom of the bevel gear tube like something broke it.. and he said someone that looked at the bike previously stated the swing arm didnt look right... no clue with my limited knowledge and not seeing it in person. I realize for the price of shipping and the bike price I am looking at about 600 bucks. This might be high for what you see but being down in fl I am very limited to any deals or basement finds down here.

pete this is the bike in red creek. The guys name is Tim and after i got his address it looks like a place called tims towing. I am a bit warry as I am In FL so any help is appreciated esp verifying the bike is in his posession as he doesnt prefer paypal and I would be mailing a money order/ certified check. I do not know the vin etc and was told the bike was in his place when he purchased it. he said he has been semi scammed a few times and I am more than greatful he is working with me on this but as always i have to be a little warry. I do not know what fl requires whether its a bill of sale. I assume the bike is a decent price and I realize it would most likely require an engine rebuild but I have to dig my heels in someplace and start. I would more than appreciate you looking at the bike if i can line it up with him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captpaul

Postby captpaul » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:54 am

I live in Hudson Florida, I have 4 like this That ran when I disassembled them, for parts, As Fla,will not title a bike that's bought without one. Some say you can take it to Alabama Buy a tag and get a registration for it, ride it in fl for a year,and fl will issue a title on a bike from a state that doesn't require titles. That,s what I've heard over and over from car dealers,
I have no idea if it's true, Paul

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:19 pm

I don't see anything unusual with the swing arm. Besides, even if it's bent a replacement swing arm should cost you around $15 on eBay.

miken5678

Postby miken5678 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:11 pm

out of curiosity the center stand is an easy option right? I have seen center stands for sale on an australian or overseas website however I do not note the frame difference/mounting points.

I hate getting all excited because if this is anything like the last 4 times something will mess it up but I am crossing my fingers and hoping pete gets in touch with me. Looks like best price for shipping on uship so far is 4xx ish.

JimF
Site Admin

Postby JimF » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Center stands are very numerous too, just as the swing arms are. Should be $25 on eBay is my guess. All these narrow case bikes used the same swing arms and the same center stands. Only the scramblers had side stands, and they were Rube Goldberg-looking things that were incorporated into a front engine mounting plate.

Center stands can get a little bent if the bike was loathe to start or the guy kicking it over was extremely heavy. Since it's not part of the frame being bent is of no consequence, but you may want to be picky for a nice straight one when you are shopping.

I notice the bike does not have shocks, but no problem there either. The shocks are pretty close to 12" on center in their quiescent state and shocks like that are pretty common.

I suspect a frame cross-member is sitting on the top of the rear tire and keeping the frame from dropping to the ground. By the same token if you were to lift up on the rear of the frame I suspect the tire will stay on the ground...

This bike would have likely come with shrouded shocks, and the green narrow case Cafe bike is boasting some nice looking un-shrouded shocks. So it's likely you would have thrown away the original shocks anyway or perhaps at the very least removed the shrouds to achieve a similar look.

You are going to need some 31.5mm clip-ons, again abundant so long as you don't want Ducati OEM clip-ons from the period.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”