Light switch wiring dilema

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DewCatTea-Bob

Re: Light switch wiring dilema

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:31 am

" You weren't kidding when you said you had this system memorized "

____ Well actually, i USED to have it completely memorized,, it's been well over 2-decades since I was last actively handling & working with the actual parts, and-so while your-own deductions seemed somewhat sensible, I thus at-first thought that I had 'lost-it'. _ But after a bit of reflection-thought, it then all came clearly back to me, (which was a good feeling to get, after that lost-feeling I first had).

" It all makes sense now. "

____ I'm relieved to learn you're bright enough to realize that !

" Do I need to remove the diode I installed from the red alternator wire? Will it restrict the current? "

____ Yes & yes... providing you wish to run the lights directly off the alternator (with it's full AC) like the original stock-setup. _ As that diode/valve would cut the current-flow through the lights in-HALF !
But even if you chose to run the lights from-off the battery, you'd still have to remove your 'diode' and replace it with a FW.rectifier, anyhow.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

vintagetour

Postby vintagetour » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Bob,
I just completed the revisions on the wiring per your specifications. As expected everything works as it should. Thanks again for your help :D

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:07 am

" I just completed the revisions on the wiring per your specifications. "

____ Actually those recommended wiring-connections were Ducati's.
__ As you certainly have realized, there are a few other ways that that unique and rather complex switch COULD possibly be used for other system-wiring schemes, (as I-myself have done a few times).

" As expected everything works as it should. "

____ So how do you LIKE it that way though ? _ The brake-light should be quite adequate (as it runs-off the battery), but do you find the headlight to be (most often) adequately powered-up (as it runs-off the alternator) ?
If not, then the stock-system could possibly be reworked so that the lights also run-off the battery. _ But such a wiring rework-job ought be done the same time as when the wire-leads of the alt.cable finally need to get replaced.

" Thanks again for your help "

____ Of course, you're welcome.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob
PLEASE NOTE... If this-post is not-yet signed-off with '-Bob', then I'm still in the process of completing it,, and if not also included with 'DCT' near bottom as well, then I may edit this post's wording at a later time. - Dct.Bob

vintagetour

Postby vintagetour » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Bob,
The lights as they are will be more than sufficient for the occasional time we might be riding at night. We limit our night riding around here even on modern machinery because of the deer. I am just happy to have it wired correctly. I am also glad to know that the date stamped on the forks (12-66) is probably correct as you stated my lighting system would be from around this time.
Thanks again
Tom

DewCatTea-Bob

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:18 am

" The lights as they are will be more than sufficient for the occasional time we might be riding at night. "

____ When you do finally take a ride at night with it, please let us know how well you think your head-lighting seems to be, both during normal riding RPMs & down near (but not right at) idle. _ And I don't mean in comparison to modern bikes, but rather in comparison to other vintage-DUKEs or other motorcycles of the same time-period.
__ My own '66-SCR had a pretty-bright headlight (4020 6v sealed-beam) when near 5-grand RPM, but only was merely adequate around 3.5-grand, and rather on the dim side near idle.

" I am also glad to know that the date stamped on the forks (12-66) is probably correct as you stated my lighting system would be from around this time. "

____ The particular electrical-system that your 250-Scrambler must have was copied-over from that of the existing 160-MonzaJr, and was not employed on any other 250 Duke-model (other than the 1966-Scr). _ (However the early 250/350-Scr.WideCase-models [of 1967] employed an almost identical electrical-system.)
So while your 1966 model-design might've been actually constructed just before 1967, it's likely fair to refer to it an EARLY 1967-model,, since for most countries other than the US, the 250-Scr.models of 1967, were then the wide-case type.

Duke-Cheers,
-Bob

vintagetour

Postby vintagetour » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Bob,
I finally got a chance to ride the Ducati at night. When the revs are down it is a little weak but at cruising rpms it puts out a nice beam for a 25 watt. The tailight is bright. When at higher rpms it has as good a light as other vintage bikes. I didn't expect much from a 6 volt system so I was pleasantly suprised.
Tom

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:25 am

DCT Bob wrote:____ I'm afraid to say that I'm the only one you ought pay attention to, as others may not seem to agree with me and yet I'm the only one who you can completely trust as being totally CORRECT.

Bob

You sure know how to hurt a guy :P

Mike

DewCatTea-Bob

Hasty Wording

Postby DewCatTea-Bob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:15 am

" You sure know how to hurt a guy "

____ But who do you think I hurt ? _ Certainly you don't think I was trying to hurt you again, do you ?
I sure didn't mean to Mike ! _ Or anyone actually !
__ I can now see how my (quoted) wording does seem a bit brazenly frank, as it is,, so I'll go-back and edit it to better reflect my actual thought which my posted wording had failed to fully convey (as it was).
____ Your input is always welcome, so thanks for the heads-up.

Hopeful-Cheers,
-Bob

MotoMike

Postby MotoMike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Just kidding Bob. note smiley. I'd certainly trust you when it comes to Ducati single wiring.

Mike

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”