Hello Bill,
I have had similar oil leaks that I assumed were the same as you suspected.
But turned out to be from elsewhere.
Best way I found the exact culprit was to wash the engine with petrol or similar, dust talcum powder over everything then go for a short ride and look for the wet talcum powder.
The leak usually came from somewhere unsuspected
Wind and thin hot oil can move the oil to other places.
As I’m sure you know already.
Regards
Graeme
Head / barrel oilway o-ring
Moderator: ajleone
-
graeme
- Posts: 1064
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:00 am
- Location: Tasmania Australia
-
Duccout
- Posts: 1588
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm
- Location: Essex UK
Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring
I'll second that! It is surprising where wind and capillary action will send the slightest leak.
Cheers,
Colin
Cheers,
Colin
-
blethermaskite
- Posts: 640
- Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 am
- Location: Scotland
Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring
You know I have seen so many mentions on here and other places about leaks from that wee head/barrel O ring, I must be super lucky with this I don't think I have ever had a Ducati single that leaked from there
My 350 mk3 hasn't had the head off in the last 30 years
and the last time it was I reused the O ring
and its still bone dry......maybe the 'old' viton rubber was better stuff back then....Cheers George
-
Duccout
- Posts: 1588
- Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:20 pm
- Location: Essex UK
Re: Head / barrel oilway o-ring
Hi George,
I have never had a leak from there in over 50 years of Ducati ownership. I wonder if the machining on the heads could be variable, leading to some leaks, although smearing silicone over the o ring should take care of it.
Cheers,
Colin
I have never had a leak from there in over 50 years of Ducati ownership. I wonder if the machining on the heads could be variable, leading to some leaks, although smearing silicone over the o ring should take care of it.
Cheers,
Colin
Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 169 guests