A custom project - AKA "I think I have enough spare parts to build a whole bike"

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

DesmoDog

Re: A custom project - AKA "I think I have enough spare parts to build a whole bike"

Postby DesmoDog » Wed May 22, 2024 4:27 pm

I bought a tail light ages ago that I wanted to use on this, but it is made for a larger fender/bike and my attempts to make it work just didn't pan out. It sat at the wrong angle and the pad I made to adapt it to the fender looked massive.

I decided to steal some parts off of it and come up with something different. This is a first attempt, proof of concept 3D print.

It uses holes that are already in the fender but it makes attaching a license plate more difficult. Maybe I'll have to move the plate to the side, off the axle or in that area somewhere. That's not an ideal solution but it's been done before.

I decided to switch to an LED light, which aside from less heat allows a shorter/smaller body. Following that path I drew up a bunch of things and printed a few out. The family tree. As soon as one would start printing I'd think of something I wanted to change. I was trying to use up misc filaments hence the different colors.

There are still changes I'll likely make but for now the white one will be used for mockup. I will likely go with some type of plastic and paint it, but I'm also thinking about finding someone around here that could sand cast it for me - there are filaments designed specifically for that sort of thing. I thought about trying to do it at home - my dad sand cast a few things for me back in the day out of his home shop - but I think finding a maker or artist type that's already done this stuff would be a better choice. Time will tell, it's not like I can't change from plasic to cast later on.

A fake oil tank was also considered for a while as somewhere to hide wiring or maybe a filter on the breather hose. The printer can be set up to take time lapse photos of the parts being made.

https://youtu.be/rRpmB2cDabU?si=A-pb9GgLVa-DkTPT

Yeah, so, um... it can get a little boring waiting for a part to print... ya gotta find ways to entertain yourself while it happens.

DesmoDog

Re: A custom project - AKA "I think I have enough spare parts to build a whole bike"

Postby DesmoDog » Wed May 22, 2024 4:45 pm

A stock chainguard won't fit anymore, 3D printing to the rescue there to get an idea of shapes and sizes, but I'll save you the pictures of that. I thought about using the 3D print as a form and laying up the guard out of fiberglass, but ended up using a rectangular section of steel, cut so it was an "L" section instead. Then more cutting and welding and generally banging things into position.

It still needs work but this is the general idea. It's two pieces so it's easier to install.

Don't mind the massive tab for the exhaust mount, that's more or less a place holder.

This is pretty much how the bike sits now, so future posts will be in "real time".

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”