Project Vento has begun: help wanted.

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

cooperplace

Re: Project Vento has begun: help wanted.

Postby cooperplace » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:17 am

Ok thanks, good to know. it jumps 8mm easily. Now I just need to find some fuel hose clamps that work properly. Got some coming.
be nice, I'm not very bright.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:57 am

Took the 900 S2 for a ride yesterday. It didn't break down until I got home, when the sprag clutch died again. It was only replaced about 200km ago. Thank god the Vento doesn't have electric start.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:42 am

cooperplace wrote:Ok thanks, good to know. it jumps 8mm easily. Now I just need to find some fuel hose clamps that work properly. Got some coming.

I knew a Lucas-trained magneto serviceman who had a test bench for magnetos.
He said that after each rebuild a magneto should be run for two hours with a spark gap visible, so it could get properly hot.
After that time the sparks should still be consistent.
I thought that was somewhat extreme and probably not necessary to have so long a test, but worth checking so I rigged up a test with a used magneto I bought at a swap meet.
Sure enough, all looked fine with a convincing shower of sparks until after about half an hour when it began to falter and got worse.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:47 pm

'Took the 900 S2 for a ride yesterday. It didn't break down until I got home, when the sprag clutch died again. It was only replaced about 200km ago. Thank god the Vento doesn't have electric start.'

What happens to the sprag? Does it fail to grip the crankshaft to turn the engine over? Touch wood, I've had my S2 for 37 years and the sprag has never given trouble.
Last edited by Duccout on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:57 pm

I don't know what happens to it, it breaks. The start button just gives a zinging noise.

Buster

Postby Buster » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:09 pm

After that time the sparks should still be consistent.
I thought that was somewhat extreme and probably not necessary to have so long a test, but worth checking so I rigged up a test with a used magneto I bought at a swap meet.
Sure enough, all looked fine with a convincing shower of sparks until after about half an hour when it began to falter and got worse.

If a magneto has been stored unused for a length of time it is likely that moisture has entered the windings. This causes the coating between the windings to break down in use. The mag will work ok to start with but as it warms up the insulation between windings breaks down and shorts out reducing the power of the spark.

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 pm

Another thing I heard can go wrong with coils, even new ones, is that they can expand when they get hot.
That causes internal open circuits, and these sometimes temporarily come good again when cooled.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:28 am

Re my issue with difficulty in getting it onto the stand, I took it to the stand guy today, and he's going shorten the stand and add a curly bit of steel out the side, just like on my 900. Get it back next week.

Duccout

Postby Duccout » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:33 am

As regards the stand, I would check to see that the rear shocks are the right length, as obviously if someone has fitted shorter shocks then it will be a right old heave onto the stand.

Colin.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 pm

I fitted new rear shocks, and carefully checked to ensure they're the correct length, and the same length as the stock shocks. Nonetheless, it's a long way between the rear wheel and the ground.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”