We are back!

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

JimF
Site Admin

We are back!

Postby JimF » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:22 am

After more than two weeks of being down, the forum is back.

I've no explanation for the outage as I had done nothing to the forum from an admin standpoint, but sometime around June 20th the forum started responding with error messages. I suspect that the web service provider might have migrated the site to a different server or installed something onto the server and the action proved incompatible with the phpBB forum software, but that is just a guess on my part.

I turned in a trouble ticket and about two days later was told the issue was fixed. However I could not log in and I suspect that no one else could either. I replied to the web host regarding the login issue and the forum began responding with error messages again, which I inferred meant that the web host provider was working on the login problem.

While trouble tickets in the past have always been fixed in a couple of days, I had in recent days worried that this long interval was an indication that the forum could be lost for good. Given that so many of you have contributed valuable information that has been and would continue to be of use to others it would be unfortunate to lose the forum's content.

I had just in the last two days begun seeking paid phpBB assistance when suddenly I received news from the web host provider that the forum was functional again.

Jim

double diamond

Re: We are back!

Postby double diamond » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the effort reviving the site Jim! Would have been a terrible loss if it couldn’t be revived.

Matt

NewKidOnTheBlock

Postby NewKidOnTheBlock » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks Jim, top work!

I wonder if there's a way of archiving everything in case it goes down again, such a wealth of information that could be lost!

Onwards and upwards!

Jordan

Postby Jordan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:02 am

Hooray!
Thanks Jim.

Jordan

DBDBrian

Postby DBDBrian » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Well done Jim, it would certainly be a bad day if the forum and all it's related information was lost.
Brian

Samurai

Postby Samurai » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Many thanks Jim, on behalf of all the users of this wonderful forum!

It really would have been a tragic loss of extremely valuable information on these old bikes. Thanks again for all your efforts.

themoudie

Postby themoudie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 pm

Aye Jim,

Thank you for your time and efforts in keeping this forum up and running.

As for the technicalities of backing up the forum's content in case of future software/hardware failures, I am afraid that I do not have any practical experience. Perhaps others with experience in these matters, in the forum, would care to assist and or advise a practical course of action?

Good health and my regards, Bill

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Great news and thank you for your work.
This forum has so much useful information and very helpful users, thank you.

steveroyall

Postby steveroyall » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Jim
A database backup is what you really need. That is where the real value item is.
The code can be replaced anytime but the all the post data in the database is precious.
There is a PHPBB extension here that will do it automatically for you.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2400156

Hit me up if you have any problems, I do web stuff as a day job.

Steve

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”