Ducati 250 mk3 decals

Ducati single cylinder motorcycle questions and discussions, all models. Ducati single cylinder motorcycle-related content only! Email subscription available.
Moderator: Morpheus

Moderator: ajleone

Scottish888

Ducati 250 mk3 decals

Postby Scottish888 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi Folks,

My bike is blue with gold transfers, cant say for sure they are the originals but likely are as the paint is original.
On the left tank side someone has stuck a Ducati script made of raised plastic? I don't think it is original but I could be wrong
I see some tank stickers have Ducati lettering and some dont, my bike does not have the lettering, what was the original setup?

Regards

Gianni

Re: Ducati 250 mk3 decals

Postby Gianni » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I have a NOS tank for a '74 MK3 I acquired back in 2005 or so. It is blue with the gold transfer.
Applied over the transfer on each side is a chrome plated plastic 'DUCATI' badge very similar to, but a bit smaller (I think) than what was
applied to my 1975 860. I am not positive on the size comparison as I sold the 860 in 1977 when I bought a 900SS.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 am

Scottish888 wrote:My bike is blue with gold transfers, cant say for sure they are the originals but likely are as the paint is original.
On the left tank side someone has stuck a Ducati script made of raised plastic? I don't think it is original but I could be wrong
I see some tank stickers have Ducati lettering and some dont, my bike does not have the lettering, what was the original setup?

According to both Massimo Clarke and Ian Falloon, the last Mark 3s got the tank badge as opposed to the decal. According to Clarke, it was the same badge as used on the Parallel Twins. Photo below from Massimo Clarke. Ian dates the change from 1975.

250.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scottish888

Postby Scottish888 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:25 pm

Thank you all,

That is exactly what my bike has on the left side. My bike is a 1974
Ducati 250 mk3.jpg

I will keep to the original, does anyone know if the DUCATI badge/lettering can be bought?

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gianni

Postby Gianni » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Try Phil Hitchcock at RoadAndRace

See here:

http://roadandrace.com.au/cat07.htm

His pictures on cat07 aren't good enough to tell if there is an exact match. Phil is very helpful and prompt with email,
although the time zone diffs. can be lengthy.

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am

Scottish888 wrote:Does anyone know if the DUCATI badge/lettering can be bought?

Hmm ... might be a challenge :? :-)

The part number for the badges, should it help, is 0682.83.210. Ostensibly they were fitted to the 350 and 450 too.

Unfortunately I don't get any hits using that number on Tinterweb.

Rats ... It seems you're going to have to search by description. Always more lengthy and frustrating.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P.s The part numbers for the gold background decals are 0682.83.220 for the right side; and 0682.83.225 for the left side.

P.p.s Btw, a quick check reveals that the badges are NOT the same as the PTs, despite what Massimo Clarke says :roll: .

P.p.p.s. And 1974 is good - well, at least that's what's written on the front of the parts book I have :D . And in fact Ian Falloon, but this time in a different book to the one I used as a source before, also says 1974!

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm

I know you want to try a find a badge (so would I ...), but just for the record.

Marcia Derrick at Classic Transfers has the decal set that went on the earlier models:

Decals.jpg

http://www.classictransfers.co.uk/trans ... -16-00-pr/

Gianni

Postby Gianni » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Craig,
thanks for that decal source. For all of the time I've spent looking for Ducati stuff over the years, how is it that I haven't seen that before?

I still have the original tank from my MK3. It was stripped for repair and repaint before I got it. Unfortunately, it was stored
in a way that allowed moisture to collect, severely rusting the bottom interior. I don't think it had the badges, otherwise they
likely would have been with the boxes of bits I got with the bike.
I would speculate that Ducati transitioned from the printed decal to substituting the plastic badge during the period
at the end of the '74 run. The replacement tank that I acquired decades later thus had the badges.

From scrutinizing Robert Miller's singles registry, my 450 was fairly early in the Blue & Gold run.

One item that I will note: Chrome plated plastic badges used on the twins generally used white or black paint to highlight
the letters. The MK3 badges are strictly chrome.

I don't think they mount using pins like the twins. Were adhesives in common use for mounting trim back then?
Applying adhesive over waterslide decals strikes me as a bit dodgy. John

Jon Pegler

Postby Jon Pegler » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm

The plastic badges used on the late 1974-on singles do have two pins moulded onto the back of them.
The two pins push into sprung steel clips that sit in the holes in the tank.
At one time Mdina Italia sold the spring clips, not sure they still do though.

Jon

Gianni

Postby Gianni » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for that Jon. Taking a closer look, I can see daylight between the badge and tank in places.
Unless they had cutouts for the badge mounting, they apply the waterslide over the mounting holes, then punch through the decal to
affix the badges? One side looks nicely centered and level, the other side is crooked. All very Ducati-ish.

Return to “Ducati Singles Main Discussions (& How to Join)”