My Sport 48 time to rebuild!

Moderator: ajleone

A63buggy

My Sport 48 time to rebuild!

Postby A63buggy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:06 pm

For now it's happy in my house. I've already had some pretty good luck finding parts. Not 100% sure what year. Seams as I've begun my research my forks seem to be Cadet forks based on pictures and responses from one shop. About the only differences I see are the way the fender is attached and the brake locator nub on the lower right fork.

I am in need of a repair manual so I can read up on the engine before tearing down. If anybody can help with locating a manual. Also so I can figure out what carb I exactly have and proper rims and hubs. The ribs on my hubs look a bit different then others. When measuring as 90m hubs verse 105mm hubs what is that a measure of? The inside braking surface diameter? Other question. It is current wearing 2.00x19 tires. How wide is the proper rim anyway? Everything from the era is so interchangeable it's been hard to work out. Haven't found a site with definitive specs list by year. They have been vague.

Tempering my urge to fully rebuild and desire to not clean it up to much because I like the patina of the tank.
image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm a happy camper right now. I'm sure some thing will burst my bubble soon enough but feeling good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

graeme

Re: My Sport 48 time to rebuild!

Postby graeme » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 am

Nice bike and looks mostly all there.
Graeme

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 pm

First off, Good to see you over here!

A63buggy wrote: Seems as I've begun my research my forks seem to be Cadet forks based on pictures and responses from one shop. About the only differences I see are the way the fender is attached and the brake locator nub on the lower right fork.

Also have a look at the proportions of the different sections of the fork leg in the photo below - your bike on the left, a 100 Cadet on the right. I reckon - for example - that the top painted section of your bike is shorter than the Cadet’s. You can also see this difference in Falloon’s, Standard Catalog.

A63buggy wrote: I am in need of a repair manual …

I’m not sure such a thing ever existed. However, I do have a pdf of the Owner’s Manual, dated July 1962 and in English(!), for the Falcon 50 - which as you know was kinda similar. The handbook has general and service info, and also a fully illustrated parts list - so very useful.

However, its 13.6 Mb so I’ll need to upload it somewhere for you to get to it. I’ll let you know …

A63buggy wrote: Also so I can figure out what carb I exactly have and proper rims and hubs.

According to Ian Falloon, the carb should be a Dell ‘Orto UA 15S (Mick Walker has it listed as a “UA 1SS” in his Singles Restoration; but I suspect this is a mis-print. I can’t find any other reference to a UA carb with this reference).

Specs (from Mick Walker, and confirmed in the Falcon handbook):
Needle: C1
Needle position: 3
Needle jet (atomizer): 260
Throttle valve: 65
Main: 68
Slide: 45

Your plug should be a Marelli CW260N (handbook). Hmmm ... good luck with finding one of those! Walker suggests Champion L82 or L86. Or any other manufacturer’s equivalent: one cross-comparison site I found suggests a NGK B7HS.

Points gap: 0.3 - 0.4mm (handbook).

Fork capacity: 20cc of SAE 30 (handbook).

A63buggy wrote: The ribs on my hubs look a bit different then others. When measuring as 90m hubs verse 105mm hubs what is that a measure of? Other question. It is current wearing 2.00x19 tires. How wide is the proper rim anyway?

According to Ian Falloon, tires should be 2¼x19 (they were 18” in the US model, so be careful). So you’re a little small.
Pressures: 25lb front, 32lb rear.

Wheels, according to the handbook: 1.35” (x19 or 18”).
The hub dimension (90mm or 105mm) is its diameter. Yours should be 105mm (handbook).

Otherwise:
Top speed, 80 km/hr. Woosh ….
Full tank range? 600kms.
Maximum gradient you can tackle? 21°, in first. After that, it’s get off and push.

A63buggy wrote: Tempering my urge to fully rebuild and desire to not clean it up to much because I like the patina of the tank.

Resist, resist! Remember: patina can never be replaced.

Ciao

Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A63buggy

Postby A63buggy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Ventedue,

I was in Montpellier last fall! It was a great trip! Thank you that answers a lot of my questions. Let me know if you find a place to upload that owners manual. A detailed parts list would do most all I need short of torq specs for engine bolts. Locals here said they'd write that down for me. Still common engines around here. Maybe it's possible to load the manual to the thread on this forum that has the other bikes manuals loaded.

You are right about the fork top tubes. I need to see what the difference is in the bolt attachments for the bottom tubes. Mainly I'm trying to figure it out for part replacement needs. Everything is here for this bike aside from broken tail light (easy to find). And the top to one part of the carb.

Struggling so hard in my head about how to do something for the frame but not make it to shiny so it still goes with the tanks patina. But the frame is really bad enough I should do something so it doesn't fully rust out.

A63buggy

Postby A63buggy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 pm

Well got home and started tearing the bike down. To clean up and get ready for engine build.

Spark plug currently in the head : Magneti Marelli CW240N <--- need to decode their numbering system.
Carb : Dellorto UA 15S

Ignition : coil and wires still factory original.

Little round MOT registration type disk : little to yellow to see thru and see what the last year she was properly registered. Trying to get it apart with out destroying it.

Wire harness so far looks perfect condition. All connectors still in one piece. Don't have the headlight apart yet to see if wires are in same great shape inside yet due to first stubborn screw of the bike.

Aside from headlight ring screw everything else is coming apart like the bike was only 3 years old.

I only discovered that the tabs on the chain guard I believe are for mounting the ducati hand pump..... Ohh boy, I'm buying one of those......... I just got excited over a reason to buy a bicycle style pump. So much fun! :mrgreen:

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Here are some pics of the wheels for my Sport 48. They are 18 inch rims as Craig pointed out. I am also interested in the front fork shrouds. The pic that Craig posted show a difference between a bike with clipon's versus one with handle bars ? Can anyone confirm ?

Tony

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1339.JPG

machten

Postby machten » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm

I share your pain on the restoration/preservation approach.

Kev

Ventodue

Postby Ventodue » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:42 pm

machten wrote:I share your pain on the restoration/preservation approach.

Yeah, but you could at least give it a clean, Kev ... :D :o :P :P

(Sorry - cheap shot, but couldn't resist ... :twisted: :roll: )

To be honest, even in that state, it's still as pretty as pretty can be ...

A63buggy

Postby A63buggy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:01 pm

ajleone wrote:Here are some pics of the wheels for my Sport 48. They are 18 inch rims as Craig pointed out. I am also interested in the front fork shrouds. The pic that Craig posted show a difference between a bike with clipon's versus one with handle bars ?

No idea what happened to my first reply to this?

Yeah Tony there is a difference. The clip ons take up a little space just below the top triple clamp. So the upper fork covers are a little different since regular bars have risers coming up out of the top triple.

Our hubs look the same with same type of ridges in the middle. Taking my wheels apart tonight to see if they are 95 or 105 size hubs.

Only other difference seems to be Euro Sport 48 came with 19 inch rims.

What year is yours and what carb does it have? Mine is the UA 15 1ss intake the carb goes up at 45 deg.

A63buggy

Postby A63buggy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Ventodue wrote:
machten wrote:I share your pain on the restoration/preservation approach.

Yeah, but you could at least give it a clean, Kev ... :D :o :P :P

(Sorry - cheap shot, but couldn't resist ... :twisted: :roll: )

To be honest, even in that state, it's still as pretty as pretty can be ...

Lol yeah Kev washing won't cause rust...... Don't soak her in the pond or anything. Man that is a survivor! A wash and replacing worn internals as needed she is perfect! Man, washer her but I wouldn't change anything on the body or frame. Rebuild the motor at the first sign of a problem and change all her seals but don't polish the motor....... Just clean!

Do we need to mail you a sponge or some soap?

:lol:

Return to “2-Stroke Ducatis”