Introduction and question on a 90 Mountaineer project.

Moderator: ajleone

mgman52

Introduction and question on a 90 Mountaineer project.

Postby mgman52 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48 pm

I thought I should give a quick introduction before I start throwing questions out there.
I have been riding Ducatis since 1981. My first was a 1980 900 Darmah.
Since that time, I have gone through a few different models and now ride a 2013 Multistrada 1200.
Last fall I aquired a new project. A 1964 Mountaineer 90. Looked like a good candidate for restoration.
It has 538 miles on it and seems to be all there. After a good cleaning of the fuel tank and carb, it started right up and idles well.
I have come to the conclusion that new crank seals are in order. Here is my first dissasembly question.
I am a little gun shy about how much pressure to use pulling the flywheel off of the taper on the crank.
There was no rust or crud under the cover and the crank nut removed nice. I have a small 3 jaw puller that I am trying.
Any tricks to removing these? From the pictures that I have found, looks to be a normal tapered shaft. I just don't want to force it and then have to source a replacement.

I guess as long as I am asking,is there anything that I will run into inside this little Italian that is not like a typical Japanese motor? Lokks pretty standard but those are famous last words.

Jim

ajleone

Re: Introduction and question on a 90 Mountaineer project.

Postby ajleone » Thu May 01, 2014 12:37 am

Jim,
You can wreck the flywheel as the material is soft using a claw puller (I learned the $$ way). Get yourself a puller and don't risk damage. Here is the tool you needs, cheap and high quality
http://mbsmfg.com/19mmx1mm.html
Tony

mgman52

Postby mgman52 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 pm

Thanks Tony,
Just after I posted that question, I was looking at a puller that I had for my kids KTM and it was the proper 19mm thread.
We will give her a go tonight and hope that I did not do any damage. I stopped before putting too much pressure on the puller.

Nick

Postby Nick » Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 pm

It it won't come of even if you get the puller nice and tight, whack the end of the tightening bolt with a hammer.
Put a Mikuni on it!

Return to “2-Stroke Ducatis”