2-stroke electrics

Moderator: ajleone

ajleone

2-stroke electrics

Postby ajleone » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Howdy fellow 2-stroke Ducisti's - I and in the process of restoring and resotring into existence 2 Ducati 48/50 Sport or Falcons. Does anyone know if the 2-stoke fan-cooled flywheel is the same setup (from a timing perspective) as the non-fan cooled flywheels ? WHen I say "fan cooled" I am referring to the shrouded engine covered model of the Ducati 50's ? It seems also that of the non-shrouded 48cc engines, there are 2 versions, one that has the ignition HT coil built into coil assembly and the other version uses the external coil, similar to the 250 NC bikes.
Tony

Scrambler

Re: 2-stroke electrics

Postby Scrambler » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:17 am

I am not very familar with 2 stroke Ducati's but came across this bike today searching for vintage Ducati images. Is this a factory bike or a custom / race resto? Either way it is wicked cool..... Is this a "pup" on steriods? I think i may need to research what it would take to duplicate one.
Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:12 pm

radical ducati in Spain build this bike .

here is a writeup on the project :

http://www.radicalducati.com/index.php?page=48sportiva

Eldert

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:47 am

Eldert, thanks for the information. This looks like a very "doable" project. I am now on the hunt for a donor bike to get started. The limited amount of fabrication is no problem at all. I like to fab stuff you can not buy...............

Thanks Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ajleone

Postby ajleone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:15 pm

FWIW, Here is some info on the electrics, that I have found and might be of interest:

The upto 63 Falcon 50 Sport 50's have an internal ignition coil, that is internal to the stator assembly as shown in the parts book. The 64 Falcon/Sport 50's have an external ignition coil, "green label" same as the early 250 NC scramblers and Bronco 125's

falc50-63-parts.jpg

falc50-64-parts.jpg

The 64 Falcon/sport 50's flywheel has a fan attached and the engine cylinder is shrouded (fan cooled). If someone want to convert a shrouded engine to a non-shrouded engine, the engine cover would need to sourced, flyweel and stator. The 2 flywheels although mechanically fit, the lobs of the hubs are shaped differently and therefore the stators need to be matched. This is what I was attempting to do, when I realized that I could not simply replace the engine cover and flywheel, I would also need to get a stator too that has the internal ignitinon coil.

Anyone got a spare 61-63 stator for a Falcon/Sport 50 ?

falc50-fly-hub.jpg

falc50-fly-front.jpg

Tony

Return to “2-Stroke Ducatis”