IOM 2015

Post about motorcycle events of a vintage nature, Ducati specific events, events you are attending and might hope to connect with another list member, etc.

Moderator: ajleone

Scrambler

IOM 2015

Postby Scrambler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:16 am

I am planning a trip to IOM next year. I have a few contacts from reading up as far as a travel agent familiar with the event. I am looking for some advice from some MotoScrubs members that may have either gone or have some inside information that may help. Flexible in accommodations, whether tent city or a home stay. Most likely I will not be bringing a bike, although I have a couple of friends in England that have offered. I would love to ship my cafe' over if I can find some extra travel cash. Traveling from the west coast US, most likely into Dublin then jump over to Douglas. Nothing booked yet but I need to get on the stick soon. Any inside advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Mike Mc

Jon Pegler

Re: IOM 2015

Postby Jon Pegler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Mike,

Where you stay in the IOM rather depends on how you are planning on getting around.
If you don't have your own means of transport you're better off staying in Douglas itself.
That way you can get to see the racing at the grandstand, Quarter Bridge, Bray hill and Governors Bridge, all within walking distance of Douglas.
Also, there are plenty of places to eat and drink locally, albeit not of the best quality.
The IOM is not renowned for its quality cuisine.
If you do have transport, it's less critical where you stay.
One thing you must remember is that on race days and practice days the IOM circuit roads are closed.
This rather limits how you can get about the island, often involving long inland diversions.
Buy a map of the island, work out where the course is and then lokk at how you would get about without using any of the roads on the course.
Public transport is not great in the IOM.
If you need to get to Peel, Ramsay or further south buses are your only real option.
The trams and trains are more of a tourist attraction than a regular means of transport.
Also, buy a cheap transistor radio and tune into Manx radio when you get there.
It will be invaluable if you are on one of the more remote parts of the circuit.
Finally, try and find a bike to ride over there.
You'll regret it if you don't.

Jon

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Jon, thanks for the information, makes sense. I'll work on arranging a bike through friends.

Mike Mc

Bevel bob

Postby Bevel bob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Consider the classic TT, classic bikes racing and parading,not so many complete loons on the road,Borrow a bike,wonderfull place to ride, Guest house or camp (tent can be hired all set up for you.) Pub food on the course generally very good.Camping on the course means you have to be up and away before the road closes.and stay out till finish.Visit all the coastal places and bike museums/events.Offer to assist someone who's parading a bike and get in on the start scene.

dblclhtimmy

Postby dblclhtimmy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:39 am

Mike, I'm going to IoM this year also. Staying in Douglas. My first time but life long dream. Staying at the Chesterhouse. Total rip off but sign of the times. Shoulda went 30 years ago! This is gonna be so much fun.

Tim

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Cool, should meet for a pint sometime during the week. We are in Douglas also, but in "The SnoozeBox" portable hotel from what I can tell. We did book a tour of the track with Phillip McCallen. I am REALLY looking forward to the narrative of an x champion telling us about the turns and approach into each section of the course.

It will be here soon.

Mike Mc

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:34 am

We have picked up a couple of bikes from AdMo in Dublin to take to IOM. This should make getting around easier. Just have to figure out were to leave the "bulk" of my luggage as my wife and a couple of friends are joining us for three weeks after the race to go to Paris and Spain. Unfortunately it will be trains and planes from that point on. But shouldn't be too hard, as we return the bikes and stay 3 nights in Dublin after the race. Time is getting close. I may "have" to buy a few t shirts and jackets while on IOM.
Pictures for sure.......... :D

Mike Mc

Return to “Events”