SLO Classic

Post about motorcycle events of a vintage nature, Ducati specific events, events you are attending and might hope to connect with another list member, etc.

Moderator: ajleone

Scrambler

SLO Classic

Postby Scrambler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:42 am

Getting the bike ready to ride down to the SLO Classic Vintage Bike show on Thursday. Changed the gearing for a little better Hiway cruise. Ride down is about 250 miles so I will trade a little performance for an easier ride. The Central Coast Classic Bike club puts on a good show and swap meet with some fun bike games thrown in for fun. Slow ride, sound contest, bean bag toss ( you have to ride around a very small circle and try to hit a target) and a piston throwing contest. There is a 100 mile club ride on Friday down the coast and a Beach BBQ and bonfire at Avila Beach, show is Saturday. Mert Lawill is the guest host/MC for the show on Saturday. My wife is coming down later Friday so I can bring the bike back in my truck. Coming back north to home from central California in the evening on Sunday is always a horrible head wind and absolutely no fun on the bike for that many miles. I'll post some pictures next week from the ride and show.
Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scrambler

Re: SLO Classic

Postby Scrambler » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:23 am

Back from the weekend, great event. Put about 600 miles on the bike over four days. Bike ran perfect, but my change in gearing was a bit too much. Nice ride down with a tailwind. But I had geared it so tall head winds required fishing between fourth and fifth. Had a great ride up the coast on Hiway 1 to Ragged Point and back with the club on Friday. I won Best Sounding bike and first in the Café / Custom class at the show on Saturday. There were 20 bikes in the class and about 100 in the show all together. Kind of cool getting the trophy from Mert Lawill. No where near as many miles as Octanes ride to the Moto Giro, but it was good to get a bunch of great riding in and meet some cool people. One of the guys on the ride was an Aussie that had flown into Chicago, bought a Harley and was riding across the country. He had been on some epic roads on his way across the USA. His last stop was going to be LA where he had already sold the bike and was flying back home. He actually made money on the deal and had a great ride. Not a bad idea.
Mike Mc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gmlaverda

Postby gmlaverda » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 am

Glad you had a good time. I actually spoke with you for a bit at the SLO event. I was very impressed with the level of detail on your bike. You deserve the award. I have a 1969 350 Scrambler semi-basketcase that I have recently acquired and would like to build something similar to your bike. I was wondering where you sourced the seat and tank? The seat looks familiar but not the tank. Thanks, Gary

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:01 am

The tank is a hand done Carbon Fiber that I made from scratch. The seat was a NOS E-Bay find overlaid with CF. I make a bunch of CF parts for my sons jet ski buddies. I could not find a tank I liked although AeroTech has some nice ones, but I am basically cheap, so I spent about a month making one. Started with a block of foam and shaped it to what looked good. One layer of carbon then you remove the foam core and build up the strength from the inside. That way your form stays true and clean. Painted areas ( on the bottom ) cover the mismatch of the carbon fiber that would look bad in the clear. The finish turns out pretty awesome if you take your time. It is sealed with Caswells epoxy to protect it from fuel.

Mike Mc

graeme

Postby graeme » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 am

You've cut your fork stanchions off,,,, looks much better.

Graeme

Scrambler

Postby Scrambler » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Yeah, I finally chucked them up in my lathe and shortened to the proper length. It looks better now. I raised the rear tank mount about an inch to get rid of the V shape I had going between the tank and seat also. Next mod is working on a four valve head conversion, so that will take abit of time. I have been talking with Malcomle at Syd's about head work and tuning. It will be a direct bolt on setup so no issues with undoing things if I need to. Once I get further along I will post some pictures.

Mike Mc

Return to “Events”