Moto Giro Australia

Post about motorcycle events of a vintage nature, Ducati specific events, events you are attending and might hope to connect with another list member, etc.

Moderator: ajleone

graeme

Moto Giro Australia

Postby graeme » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:21 am

Giro info if anyone can get there.

AUSTRALIA
attenzione!
Il Giro is Five Days!
Wednesday 4thth & Thursday 5th September 2013
BOONAH
Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September 2013
WOODFORD

Motogiro Australia is a cross country touring road rally open to Italian motorcycles eligible for the following categories:
Vintage pre 1958 Classic pre 1968 Modern pre 1978
Max Capacity 175cc Max Capacity 250cc Max Capacity 500cc
At the organiser’s discretion, other significant continental motorcycles may also be considered to participate in an Invited Class category.
Motorcycles must be road registered, or have appropriate club plates. The event is to be conducted under the banner of the DOCQ (Qld) Inc.
This is an untimed road rally, in the spirit of the original Motogiro d’Italia, with the aim of getting these classic Italian motorcycles out of the shed and onto the road.
To celebrate our 5th year, the event has been expanded to five days!
Wednesday 4th & Thursday 5th September will be based at Boonah. This is an optional section for those who have the time or are able to pull a sickie when needed.
The Giro proper will remain in the familiar 3 day format based at Woodford from Friday 6th to Sunday 8th September. Accommodation has been pre-booked for both sections.
For each day’s riding, a lead bike will head the parade with a sweep vehicle following should mechanical problems cause inconvenience. All personal gear will be left at our base accommodation at Boonah and Woodford.
Participants will receive a commemorative Tee-Shirt, riding number and rally souvenir.
To register your interest, please contact:
Peter Morrow 0413 941 550 Email: p.s.morrow@bigpond.com Trevor Fryer 0412 121 072
Entry forms will be available late June.

Entries out now, 5 days of fun on some excellent roads

Octane

Re: Moto Giro Australia

Postby Octane » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 am

I'm all rego'd up for this now and will be riding my Mach 1 up from Sydney on Monday/Tuesday.

I'll be aiming to do Sydney -to- Armidale or Glen Innes via Thunderbolts on the Monday, and then up to Boonah via Stanthorpe and Warrick on the Tuesday.

I'll stay somewhere in Brisbane on the Sunday night, then head home to Sydney on Monday, staying in Coffs Habour on Monday night.

Anyone else riding up from Sydney?

Octane

Postby Octane » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:50 am

P.S. See here for the entry form and contact details.

http://www.docq.com.au/lc_images/159/list_788.pdf

graeme

Postby graeme » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:35 am

That's a good distance on a 250 Octane, hope you have good weather for your trip.
Most trailer their bikes that far.
Good on you and I'm sure you'll enjoy the roads you've chosen.
See you on Friday at Woodford as I can't get off to do the BOONAH bit.
Have you been before?

Graeme

Octane

Postby Octane » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Yeah I don't have a trailer. Plus, it's kind of cheating if you don't ride the whole way isn't it?! :roll:

I haven't done the event before, so I'm looking forward to it :-)

I'll take a set of cogs with me so I can change the gearing once I get up there. It's set up pretty short for running around town, but it's screaming it's head off at around 120-130km/h on the highway. So I'll put longer gearing on it for the ride up there so it'll cruise a bit lower in the revs, then I can swap the cogs out for the twisty roads on the Giro. :mrgreen:

graeme

Postby graeme » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:10 am

There are tight twisties, open sweepers, crap farm roads (suggest an air filter if you don't normally use one) overall speed is from 60ks to how fast can you go!
My son is taking the RT this year and I'll take either the scrambler or Desmo depending which one is ready.
I plan on van ing which ever one I take (from Brisbane) so we have oxy and tools and spares which come in handy for repairs after each days activities. You never know what will be needed.
The lawn mower shop at Woodford usually gets a work out each year with key steel, broken exhausts and plugs.
It's a brilliant event and 1/2 the fun is at the end of each day back at Woodford pub.
There should be a lot of different makes and sizes again from all over and just as many characters.

machten

Postby machten » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:12 pm

Gawd...wish I was going to be there, but it's a bridge too far for me this year from the west coast. Make sure you guys give us a good report and lotsa pics!

Kev

Octane

Postby Octane » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:16 pm

Starting to put a bit more planning into this.

Looks like I'm going to ride up from Sydney over 4 days, leaving Saturday 31st.
So far the plan is to stay in Gloucester on Saturday night, Coffs harbour on Sunday night, Grafton on Monday night and arrive in Boonah on the Tuesday afternoon ready for the MotoGiro on Wednesday.

This is my initial route map (it may change)
http://goo.gl/maps/VoKq8

Can you guys recommend anything I should think about taking with me? This is my first multi-day motorcycle trip, let alone my first on a vintage Duc!

I'm planning on travelling pretty light. Just a 18L tank bag, and probably a similar sized duffel bag strapped to the back of the seat, plus some tools and liquids stashed in the toolboxes.

Any idea's for spares, tools, gear etc?

graeme

Postby graeme » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

By the time you get to Woodford you'll be due for an oil change. (I can't do the Boonah bit)
Do you want me to get some oil for you to change at Woodford? I can put it in the van.
If yes what flavour? I use Castrol 25/50 and will take 5lt and tools so if anyone needs them.

Spark plugs, cable ties, some wire, chain lube, spare fuses, spare nuts and bolts, lock tight are all small and worth taking on a long trip. Apart from usual tools.

Graeme

Octane

Postby Octane » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 am

I might take you up on that Graeme! :mrgreen: The castrol stuff you're using will be fine and I'll cash you up for it when I see you.
I'll take a small amount of oil with me on the bike for top-ups, but it's probably a good idea to do a complete change at Woodford as the oil will probably have 2000+ kms on it by then.
I'll also take a roll of race tape. :roll:

In addition to the tank bag, I'm going to modify an adjustable pannier rack I have for my mountain bike suspension forks.

The spacing between the fork legs on my Mach 1 is a bit wider than my MTB, so I'm going to make new curved rails with a wider spacing and it'll mount to the Mach 1 just fine, with no clearance issues between the headlight and fender etc. So that will give me a bunch (15-20kg) more luggage capacity. :mrgreen:

Also... to put a face to a name

My phone number is 0401 zero four six 122 in case you want to get in touch.
Nathan

Return to “Events”