It's an event for us anyway!

Post about motorcycle events of a vintage nature, Ducati specific events, events you are attending and might hope to connect with another list member, etc.

Moderator: ajleone

Ventodue

Re: It's an event for us anyway!

Postby Ventodue » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:24 am

machten wrote: ...one of the wonderful things about internet forums such as this is that we arranged to meet up with "Craig from France" from this forum and his lovely better half in the French Alps with his 450 Scrambler

Which reminds me to say thanks once again for the invite, Kev, and to post a few photos :) .

1. Getting the Little 'Un ready for the the first day. Kev rode it that day, and I think it was WOT all day, right Kev?...

2. At the top, somewhere. You might catch him up going uphill - but no way going back down!

3. Kev's own 450 Mark 3

4. And Lex's 350 Mark 3

5. My Scrambler on the way there ...

6. And all 3 wide-cases together

Ciao

Craig

machten

PHOTOs - It's an event for us anyway!

Postby machten » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:46 am

Here's some European adventure photos and links to a few videos. All photos and videos courtesy of Lex Harris and his equipment (I prefer to just take it all in - Lex is much more disciplined, fortunately :D .)

Lex and I had our bikes stored in the UK, so we left from there...

UK Pics

We hired a van to take our Dukes from the UK to Europe after a few wet rides in the UK...

the van packed up and ready to leave...

In Eurotunnel...what an impressive piece of engineering. 20 minutes and you're under the English Channel. They are very organised at both ends. The whole process can take under an hour.

After we arrived in France, we drove to a stop in Belgium and then drove on to Lermoos in Austria where Lex and I had a few days to spare before we met the rest of the guys in the Dolomites.

Austria Pics

The Am Plansee...

A mountain stop nearby..

The Ducatisti Cafe, a chance find on the outskirts of Lermoos...where else would you stop for a coffee?

Dolomites Pics

After Austria and Germany, it was on to the Dolomites, where we stayed for a week. The riding is excellent. As we're starved of mountains in Perth, we were lapping up the mountain Passos. We stayed at Schwarzenbach about 30km up the Dolomites from Bolzano. Ready access to many nice roads and passes. The quality of the road surfaces is outstanding and is well suited to riding singles.

Home base at Schwarzenbach …complete with undercover parking. Very “Edelweiss”!!

At Passo Sella

Where the hell are we??? (I can say I'm lost in four languages now! Thanks for the French, Craig!)

One of locals we met up with in Bolzano..

A Moto Morini that didn't make it back down the mountain...

An ST3 that also didn’t…this one went all over the road just in front of me as I was changing my oil at the hotel

The roads we have had to put up with...

After a hard morning riding the passes, you need to refuel...

Checking out what we'd get for a trade in on a new Yamaha :lol:

Whilst in a rare visit to Bolzano we were hailed in the tunnel by a couple who were on the last day of a 7 week, 11,000km journey on their Condor. We pulled off the rode for a chat. In 11,000km the only replacement required was a new front tyre.

Here's some video action from the Dolomites...Can't remember which Passo's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SROBcKmYQ&feature=plcp

Down Passo Sella and up Passo Gardena in the Dolomites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9aJJLBwE34&feature=plcp

Graglia Pics

After that we went to Graglia in north western Italy for some real Italiania. Nice riding there too. We stayed for three days...

We were joined by a friend, Kon from Nice for a few days who brought up his lovely cafe special..

We rode up to the lakes area about 80km away. It was like being in Venice...

Of course, sometimes some roadside repairs are required..

But there is nothing like a good Italian coffee to help you through the day..

French Alps Pics

Then it was on to the French Alps. Forget Stelvio...the passes around Briancon and Grenoble (Tour de France territory) are gold. There are Col's everywhere and some glorious lake rides around sheer drops too.

The Dukes racked up ready for the first days riding..

This is what we were looking for ...French Alpine pass roads...

Craig joined us from France for a few days with his lovely 450 Scrambler. He rode all the way from Montpellier and back and looked as fresh as a daisy.

The Col du Galibier...

Bicycles are always getting in the pictures!

Craig having a "Zen moment" (or maybe just a rest!) atop a Col...

Isn't she just sooo pretty...

And her too. (I'm talking about the bike, fellas! :shock: )

We got the singles up to the highest bitumen in Europe at 2802 meters on the Col de la Bonnette.

That is one hell of a ride. The best ride I've ever had, without doubt. 25 minutes of pure ecstasy. Some video footage here taken from Lex's 350 MK3...

The Start..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwIpaRoQCA&feature=plcp

The Middle...nice sweepers and tight switchbacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dun5VJe5UMo&feature=plcp

The Summit...2802 meters, the bikes are struggling for oxygen, gotta keep the revs up and no shortage of steep edges...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGPNPH0M7g&feature=plcp

Well, the European adventure is over and it's back to the flatlands at the end of this week. I'm back in the UK packing up the Duke. I don't expect to be back for a while, so I'm sending the 450 back to Oz. Guess I'll just have to buy another one when I come back next time. And I am coming back. For sure.

Kev

Harvey

Re: It's an event for us anyway!

Postby Harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:30 am

What a fantastic trip Kev, I road all the way up the mountains with you all. I would have loved to have taken my 450 Shot Gun up there.
Thanks for all the photos and the vids made my day.

Harvey.
Harvey.

Return to “Events”